Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlie + Friends Out

Comments

• seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    They have had their reasonable run haven’t they? Their choice of three managers now, a transfer window, decent initial enthusiasm from the fans. And what has all that got us?
    Two wins and eight defeats.
    What would be the pitchfork threshold?
    C'mon Seth. I'm as sceptical of them as the next man, yourself excluded because you are beyond that, but you can't seriously be suggesting they have had a reasonable run can you? They have only just overseen their first window in full charge and it's far too early to judge most of the signings and whether they will be enough to propel us up the league. I think they have made mistakes in recruitment but who doesn't. It's far too early to form an opinion of how things might change behind the scenes. A reasonable time to judge would be at the end of the season.

And who are these three managers they have chosen? If you are including Pearce then you are sillier than I thought.
    I am including Pearce, silly me.
    At my age I don’t want end of season judgement day to be still in this division or relegated.
    I don’t want to die supporting a third division club.
    So I am completely on board with Michael Appleton winning games and getting us promoted this season.
    Wouldn’t you like that too?
    of course but if we don't win at Stevenage I don't want Appleton gone like you do. 
  • edited September 2023
    I am new to this forum. I realise emotions are high particularly given our dreadful start to the season. However, I can't believe the negativity on here at the moment. I certainly hope MA doesn't read what's on here.
    We have to be realistic about where our club is. We will not be attractive to a lot of managers, for various reasons. We have been poor for two or three seasons, have a squad which needs time and work  and with owners some of whom have previous in pulling the trigger then any new manager...or head coach...comes in with a target already on his back.  MA'S job will be a lot more difficult if the fans are against him, and that negativity is bound to spread on to the pitch.
    To use an overused phrase, we are where we are. Let's get behind the new manager, behind the players and hope for the best.
    Welcome Michael and good luck. 
  • seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    They have had their reasonable run haven’t they? Their choice of three managers now, a transfer window, decent initial enthusiasm from the fans. And what has all that got us?
    C'mon Seth. I'm as sceptical of them as the next man, yourself excluded because you are beyond that, but you can't seriously be suggesting they have had a reasonable run can you? They have only just overseen their first window in full charge and it's far too early to judge most of the signings and whether they will be enough to propel us up the league. I think they have made mistakes in recruitment but who doesn't. It's far too early to form an opinion of how things might change behind the scenes. A reasonable time to judge would be at the end of the season.

And who are these three managers they have chosen? If you are including Pearce then you are sillier than I thought.
    At my age I don’t want end of season judgement day to be still in this division or relegated.
    So I am completely on board with Michael Appleton winning games and getting us promoted this season.
    of course but if we don't win at Stevenage I don't want Appleton gone like you do. 
    Would there come a point where you would like Appleton gone?

This conversation reminds me of that old Winston Churchill joke.

Winston is sitting opposite an attractive lady on a train, he leans forward and asks ‘Madam, would you sleep with me for a million pounds?’
    ’Well yes, certainly’ she blushes smiles and replies.
    Winston then asks, ‘Would you sleep with me for one pound?’
    ’What kind of woman do you take me for!!!???’ she retorts.
    ’We know what kind of woman you are’ says Winston ’We’re just negotiating on price’.
    Let me just check my crystal ball.
    To say a manager should be sacked after one game is total bollocks.
    Perhaps Man Utd should have sacked Ferguson after they lost 2-0 to Oxford in his first game.

• edited September 2023
    i thought this was gonna be about, your mates queuing for the cubicle when you're out and wondering why u bothered going  :)
  • seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:

Winston is sitting opposite an attractive lady on a train, he leans forward and asks ‘Madam, would you sleep with me for a million pounds?’
    ’We know what kind of woman you are’ says Winston ’We’re just negotiating on price’.
    Perhaps Man Utd should have sacked Ferguson after they lost 2-0 to Oxford in his first game.

What if Appleton wins that one game?
    If that happens as far as I am concerned he is welcome to stay for another one game and win that
    Very magnanimous of you. Particularly given that we all know you are "wary" of him because of your deep seated prejudice.

However, it's not really down to you, no matter how much you want to try and dominate a thread with your warped narratives. So, back to ignore. 
  • seth plum said:
    seth plum said:

What I'd like and expect/demand aren't the same. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Uboat said:
    Off_it said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:

If that happens as far as I am concerned he is welcome to stay for another one game and win that
    Very magnanimous of you. Particularly given that we all know you are "wary" of him because of your deep seated prejudice.

However, it's not really down to you, no matter how much you want to try and dominate a thread with your warped narratives. So, back to ignore. 
    That’s excellent ignoring. Well done  
    The clue is in the word “back”. 

You can’t  always and continuously ignore the warped narratives without comment.
  • Uboat said:
    Off_it said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:

That’s excellent ignoring. Well done  
    The clue is in the word “back”. 

You can’t  always and continuously ignore the warped narratives without comment.
    Oh yes you can. I always ignore yours 😉
  • CM and the boys out already? I'm not ready for this, it all seems a little too soon.
  • The entire fucking medical team however is another story 
  • seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:

Of course they’d be a point when I’d want Appleton gone but that depends on performances over a period of time not just one game. I’d give him at least this season, at least one window to tweak the squad, and then see what progress has been made then. If we miss the play offs by a point say, but there has been an improvement in performances, if we can see a decent style of football, then he’d get next season too but that would then be it. If at the end of this season we finish say 14th, have been playing badly, things haven’t really changed, then that’s different and I’d probably want a change. But I’d suggest at least for now let’s give the guy a chance and revisit this conversation in ten or twelve games time.

For what it’s worth I think he’ll get us into the play offs, maybe automatics if we keep injuries to a minimum and he gets a tune out of the squad. I’m far, far more confident about that than I would have been if Holden were still in charge.
  • seth plum said:
    It isn’t a handful of dodgy results, it is sacking the manager too.
    As for supporting the staff, I doubt everybody wants to support staff member Tony Keohane.
    But on the other thread you said the manager should be sacked if they lose a game.
    So by your thought process we should have sacked between 4 & 6 managers by now, depending on whether they should be sacked for losing cup games as well.
  • Leuth said:
    The entire fucking medical team however is another story 

From the outside, it seems like  sports science, fitness and conditioning need a major overhaul.

I think we should try and poach Cambridge's head of performance.

• edited September 2023
    seth plum said:
    Three managers????

edit. I have read large addick a posts and assume you mean Pearce? If so, I agree with LA.....silly!!!!
  • Swisdom said:
    Fuck me this is getting tiresome.  

I got dogs abuse for saying things under Roland were not as dreadful as some made our.  Absolute dogs abuse 

since then it’s been somewhat topsy turvy to say the least but at least we still have a club yet we now have new owners who are “promising” to change our fortunes but because of a handful of dodgy results it’s time to reach for the razor blades again!
    Some people had their agenda about the new gaffer typed out before he was even announced and just cut & pasted the name in.  Even if it had been Guardiola people would be negative about it.

it’s exhausting supporting this club at the best of times but the amount of doom mongers are seriously sapping any enjoyment that is left away.

what’s done is done so how about we put the fucking moaning in the bin, support the team and the staff, and play our part in “supporting” the club.
    Genuine question.....I'm assume you have met or at least spoken with the owners? What is your view of them?

chancers?
    need more time to decide?
    good moving forward?
  • Sponsored links:

• I always used to think it was laughable just how readily the supporters of our close neighbours Millwall turned on their manager and players at the slightest hint of failure. Christ on a bike we now run them close or perhaps evened surpassed them. Would I prefer to be top of the league with an unsurpassed squad sailing on HMS Piss The League ? Certainly I would but we’ve been a basket case of a club now for years. I’m giving this lot more than a month to start to sort it out before I go all Senegal Fields. Get a grip on reality and support the new manager and team. 
  • seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    I am new to this forum. I realise emotions are high particularly given our dreadful start to the season. However, I can't believe the negativity on here at the moment. I certainly hope MA doesn't read what's on here.
    We have to be realistic about where our club is. We will not be attractive to a lot of managers, for various reasons. We have been poor for two or three seasons, have a squad which needs time and work  and with owners some of whom have previous in pulling the trigger then any new manager...or head coach...comes in with a target already on his back.  MA'S job will be a lot more difficult if the fans are against him, and that negativity is bound to spread on to the pitch.
    To use an overused phrase, we are where we are. Let's get behind the new manager, behind the players and hope for the best.
    I hope Appleton, Methven, Scott, Warrick, Keohane, Leneghan (sp) and the players do read Charlton life.
    They urge our noise and support when it suits them, so they can jolly well get with the fans point of view too.
    I especially hope Michael Appleton reads every word being said about him on Charlton life, assuming he can actually read, I reckon he might be able to read because there are actual words tattooed onto his skin.
    It's Mr Methven to you - show some deference...
    at least he has given him his correct name instead of Methane or Methhead etc as is usual.
    I for one have never called him Methane, or Methhead, but in the past I have called him Methadone.
    Why ? 
  • seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    I hope Appleton, Methven, Scott, Warrick, Keohane, Leneghan (sp) and the players do read Charlton life.
    They urge our noise and support when it suits them, so they can jolly well get with the fans point of view too.
    I especially hope Michael Appleton reads every word being said about him on Charlton life, assuming he can actually read, I reckon he might be able to read because there are actual words tattooed onto his skin.
    at least he has given him his correct name instead of Methane or Methhead etc as is usual.
    I for one have never called him Methane, or Methhead, but in the past I have called him Methadone.
    Why ? 
    Class war.
  • I'm not best placed to comment on Methven as I never saw that documentary and, despite reading that he's gobby and spins rubbish, I never hear what he actually says, only read what others choose to report. What medium does he use to communicate and is he not just a convenient scapegoat now Sandgaard's gone?

Our current decline started with, and is largely attributable to, Roland Duchatelet and our fortunes have only worsened since he went. Despite our best intentions in directing him to the exit door, his shadow continues to darken our doorstep and, looking back, I wonder if it was worth the effort put in to make him see sense.

He would have sold up anyway because he'd failed despite not doing failure, but did we influence who he sold to? I'd like to think not and on balance I doubt it, but that sale has truly done for us with all that's followed.
  • I'm ignoring all of you.

Damn.
    Well I'm ignoring the fact you're ignoring me. 

Checkmate.
  • Why is everyone so down , we have new owners and they’re seriously wealthy , wait till the end of the next window , ignore Airman and his doom mongering prophecies , sit back and enjoy the ride 
    Why let Charlton ruin your weekend?
    Instead of coming on Charlton Life to vent our misery, we should eat more chocolate*.

*Just not Cadbury's.  :)

#chocolatemakesushappy

• seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    Why ? 
    It sometimes happens with names. Ask Cabbles
  • Obviously ridiculous to want them out at this stage, that being said I am a fan judging them on actions not words so at the moment I have not seen much positive actions to make me too hopeful about the near future.

Not a fan of the Methven way of doing things, the PR games behind the scenes but I can live with that if we become successful. 

What I do struggle with is the fans who are so happy to dive head first in to defending any ownership, who attack and try to shout down any negative opinion, I can only assume they are either new fans or young fans, as to be fair to them when I was in my teens/early 20s I struggled to emotionally seperate the then current ownership from my love of the club so would be agressively positive in the face of all evidence.

After the last 15 years I personally think the most logical starting point for us fans should be polite suspicion of any owners and if they are decent people then they should have no problem proving any fan worries wrong.