Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Oxford United vs Charlton Athletic: Saturday 26th August 2023: KO 3:00pm

Comments

• Options
    Who is available realistically? If Holden does get the boot?
    Think if we lose to fleetwood then I'll be surprised if he doesn't go. 
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Crap first half good second half, and yes not the start we all hoped for, but it is 5 games in, very early days, and we have regular first teamers out injured, gladly Leaburn is back in training Monday, and hopefully some new faces in before Friday.
    And please all this talk of replacing Holden after 5 games, which I feel we deserved a lot more out of, is ridiculous, far far too early for that kind of stuff.
    On to Fleetwood next Saturday, and yes that is a must win...
  • Options
    All these comments about needing 4-5 players are correct. But we won’t get that number - it will be the free agent defender and possibly a loan striker on deadline day. I think we are bang in trouble if that’s the case. 
  • Options
    August, the season is effectively over. 
    Please get rid of Holden and all of the injured, deadwood and uninterested players we are carrying.  Bring in at least 6 quality players this week. I know it wont happen. 
    Charlton optimist supporters please wake up and take a good look at the club.  It is in serious trouble and has been for several years. It is embarrassing the way fans get all over excited every time a new owner, manager or two bob journeyman signs on. As for the youth, they are not that good. I will be amazed if any go on to play above this level. Remember my words, the end is nigh for our beloved club. 
    I'm with you Daisy - the time for relentless optimism is over.

If these owners have good intent, they will spend - yes it will take time and it needs to be structured, but fans need to see some real action.

They will be losing money, so if they keep putting in cheap young players and selling off wherever talent we have left, we ill know their intent. Why did they buy the club, if they have no real and obvious plan to improve it?

I just don't get it.
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    Is McGrandles, a centre mid who HAS played over 100 games and was loved at Lincoln and last season at Cambridge, really a worse option than the clearly knackered and now out of depth Anderson? 
    Yes, McAmbles is dogshit. 
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Chill everyone 
    Charlie pink trousers knows what he's doing. 

Cnut
  • Options
    Joint worst start since 1990, equal with Iain Dowie in 2006. Long way back for Holden from there, injuries and squad challenges notwithstanding.
    1990 & 2006 we were in the top flight. Understandable we might lose a few on the trot in that division..... but in the 3rd ???
    1990 was back in 1st divison (now Championship) at Selhurst following relegation from the top flight
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oh dear. I wasn't optimistic when I saw the team news, and from a quick skim of the players marks it looks like hardly anyone covered themselves in glory. I think I may give the Match thread a miss :/
  • Options
    Charlton play like it’s a training session with nothing at stake. The approach can switch mid play at any point from purposeful to half-hearted with no end product up front and 100% effort and concentration in defence isn’t necessary. Those players are better than that, they all need to sit together and watch that game back and criticise every play that didn’t come off or went against us one by one.and work out why and what they ahould have done.
  • Options
    As we enter the last week of the open window and seeking upto 6 players, who with other options is goung to come to us? Wolves must be kicking them selves over the loan they have agreed and players weighing up clubs that will enhance their CVs will not even know who the manager will be.

As many have said I like Holden more than any manager before except Curbs, Gritt, Powell and Jackson I want him to succeed, but there is no evidence it will happen!

This is the worst time possible for this crisis

• Options
    edited August 2023
    BigDiddy said:
    James86 said:
    Darren Moore anyone?
    I think I’d bring back Curbs short term just to steady the ship. Majority will disagree. 
    No chance, but even they need players. Window closes in a few days, so their options are limited.

This. 

Apart from changing managers every season doesn't help anyone doing it when the incoming manager has NO input on the players he has at his disposal is just bonkers.

No, we just have to stick with Holden. As a fan base we deserve what we get. I mean, the transfer window hasn't shut and as lots of you have said.....its not who you sign in June that matters its who you've signed by Sept 1st. 

And you all made that perfectly clear many times.

• Options
    edited August 2023
    aliwibble said:
    Oh dear. I wasn't optimistic when I saw the team news, and from a quick skim of the players marks it looks like hardly anyone covered themselves in glory. I think I may give the Match thread a miss :/
    I would, it’s just simmering on the hob at the moment 😉.
  • Options
    One thing about Albie Morgan is he could deliver a ball, we’re noticeably useless at corners & crossing the ball in the box this season.
  • Options
    I don’t see Holden getting another job after us. Really don’t understand why these owners wanted him.
    I’ve been trying to fathom what the connection was that made them turn to him? His record doesn’t stand up to scrutiny.
  • Options
    Its all kirk's and McGrandles's fault.
    You've forgotten Jaiyesimi isn't blameless either.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chill everyone 
    Charlie pink trousers knows what he's doing. 

Cnut
    Trying to locate his brown trousers for Fleetwood.
  • Options
    Stewart said:
    KettsJohn said:
    Curbs & Brown please. Current management team really not up to it.
    Thinking about it, I generally don’t know who our management team are apart from Holden.
    Part of the problem. Maybe Holden needs an experienced head alongside him not coaches promoted from within with no first team experience.
  • Options
    I wasn't there and I didn't listen to any thread or watch the stream but when I saw that back three, I was shocked. If Hector is so off the pace or disinterested, why did we sign him, the same for Thomas. If we are to replace those two players with whoever, what will their role be in the club, bench warmers ?. We know we are missing players but those players are all offensive, we actually need two or more to come in at the back and an experienced midfielder. As for Holden, was that line up a cry for help or like Garner a 'hands up I give up' ?
  • Options
    Brownie12 said:
    Ultimately we are rotten to the core. We’ve got a group of chancers who saved us from Sandgaard, who saved us from Southall and co, who saved us from Roly…. It’s a never ending tale of shit owners. 

I really want it to work with Holden, but I just can’t see how it can - the bloke can only work with the tools provided. We beat the mighty Leyton Orient and we start lauding it to the crowd….Fucking hell, a 1-0 win against a team promoted from league 2!!! The fans were even singing “the reds are going up song…you  just can’t take this club seriously.

the only way we are ever going to get out of this mess is with serious owners that are willing to invest. Until that happens we are going in one direction and it’s not upwards. 
    As someone soberly pointed out a few days ago, until an owner wants to buy us lock, stock & barrel then all we are going to get are chancers & piss poor wannerbees. 

• Options
    19th in Div 3, 20th if you ignore Wigans points penalty, as many lost games as the bottom 2, joint second most goals conceded, losing run 5.  This is Charlton.  Enjoy
  • Options
    Holden just said we deserved more…
    Did he mean the fans?
  • Options
    Its all kirk's and McGrandles's fault.
    You've forgotten Jaiyesimi isn't blameless either.
    I forgot DJ.it was definetly he's fault today aswell.
  • Options
     Bring back Lee Boyer , unfinished business.