Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sir Michael Parkinson RIP

Comments

• Richard J said:
    Rip.

Barnsley supporter I understand.
    Very much so.

His Sunday Times column in the seventies often made reference to 'Skinner' Normanton and other Barnsley legends as well as references to his father and the vagaries of Yorkshire League cricket. He played in the same side as Dickie Bird and Geoff Boycott back in the day so was no mug as a cricketer given that those two went on to play first class and (Boycott) test cricket.

He was a talented author and journalist as well as interviewer which he was best known for.

RIP Parky.
  • RIP Parky
  • cafcfan said:
    Brownie12 said:
    cafcfan said:
    Never mind.  We'll get over it.

I know it's considered distasteful to say nasty things about the dead but I never forgave him for being the reassuring, ever-present on those Sun Life over 50 insurance scheme adverts. I can't begin to imagine how many poor suckers he duped into buying a needless toxic product that was a complete waste of money.  Anyway, I'm sure he's got his funeral costs covered.
    Somebody didn’t get their free Sun Life parker pen. 
    Amusing and true story: at one stage Sun Life were offering a free VHS recorder (remember them?).
    A canny family worked out that if they bought huge quantities of policies and cancelled them after the first direct debit they could still make a profit by selling on the VHS recorders down the market. Using variations of the family name, they shipped in several hundred of the things to various addresses. Shortly afterwards, SL went back to the Parker Pen bait.
    Bet that family still accidentally cut off the recording before the Eliminator on Gladiators.
  • Compulsive viewing in the seventies and a master of his art.
    RIP

• RIP Parky, always good viewing whilst waiting for Match of the Day to start.
  • Very sad news, the best chat show host ever. Parky on a Saturday night was must watch tv.
  • One of the best interviewers of all time,his interviews with Ali were legendary,and of course so many others.
    RIP Michael they dont make them like you anymore.
  • Sponsored links:

• RIP

"And tonight we have music from Michael BOOOOOOOblay"

Can hear the legend in my head now!
  • Wow. Unbelievable legend, fantastic host. A real loss. What a life and what a career. RIP
  • RIP
    Some great TV moments including his "interview" with Rod Hull and Emu.
    Was fortunate to meet him at a charity cricket match along with Ernie Wise and James Hunt, all sadly now departed.
    A very nice, down to earth man, who was great at his job.
  • Legendary interviewer. RIP
  • Some absolutely magical, memorable TV moments. Morecambe and Wise, Gene Kelly, Muhammad Ali, James Stewart, Mel Brooks, Ollie Reed. Some of those that I saw properly for the very first time on his show - Billy Connolly, Barry Humphries and Bette Midler spring to mind. 

RIP Sir Michael.     
  • Some absolutely magical, memorable TV moments. Morecambe and Wise, Gene Kelly, Muhammad Ali, James Stewart, Mel Brooks, Ollie Reed. Some of those that I saw properly for the very first time on his show - Billy Connolly, Barry Humphries and Bette Midler spring to mind. 

RIP Sir Michael.     
    I've been thinking about his greatest guests on and off all day - the special with Jimmy Cagney and Pat O'Brien just came to mind. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Brownie12 said:
    cafcfan said:
    Never mind.  We'll get over it.

I know it's considered distasteful to say nasty things about the dead but I never forgave him for being the reassuring, ever-present on those Sun Life over 50 insurance scheme adverts. I can't begin to imagine how many poor suckers he duped into buying a needless toxic product that was a complete waste of money.  Anyway, I'm sure he's got his funeral costs covered.
    Somebody didn’t get their free Sun Life parker pen. 

It was a shitty comment either way.

RIP Sir Michael.     
    I’d like to add Kenneth Williams and Les Dawson.  Just laughed and laughed.
  • I was fortunate enough to see him live late last year, being interviewed by his son. Some great anecdotes (not a mention of Emu!). He was looking frail but I did expect him to be around a little longer than he was.

RIP Parky
  • Listened to Dicky Bird on Hawksbee & Jacobs yesterday and he started cryi crying, been friends for over 80 years
  • Listened to Dicky Bird on Hawksbee & Jacobs yesterday and he started cryi crying, been friends for over 80 years
    I'd literally just come on the thread to say that.  Proper lump in the throat listening to that.
  • edited August 2023
    Brilliant - Parky the last of them to leave this earth

• edited August 2023
    Michael Parkinson started off on TV doing a Sports programme about real issues in various sports but the lure of the Show business world and prime time TV on Saturday night when there were only 3 channels and no Social media made his name and fortune.

The Ali interviews were interesting as we saw the Comedic Ali turn into a different character as he became embroiled into the harsh realities of full on religion which takes your money as well as your individual personality.

A top Journalist first and foremost who's dad didn't want him to be a miner and go down pit and cough up spit.
    Ok, he didn't play for Yorkshire like his Dad wanted but the boy did well.

Feel for Dicky bird who has lost his best friend and of course Mary Parkinson the ex Journalist and TV presenter who has lost her husband after 64 years of Marriage.

RIP Parky.
  • Just watched Dickie Bird on Bbc breakfast. He cried on there too, god love him.  Very good interview but cracked up when he was chatting about the one guest that escaped Parky.... "she tried like buggery to get him on"... 

It was Clint Eastwood in case you missed it.