Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Free tickets via Greenwich Council……

2»

Comments

• Options
    PopIcon said:
    Was mentioned on the BBC tv London news tonight. No mention of precise fixtures or any request to not interfere with the regulars in any way, basically pictures of the valley and a referral to the greenwich coumcil website. Still good to see. The marketing team/person has done well to get the level of coverage.
    I would question whether it is good coverage. What is the benefit of telling people outside Greenwich - it just encourages fans elsewhere to contact their friends and relatives who do live in the borough and get a freebie. Effective comms would be with people in Greenwich who are not currently supporters.

More generally you are just encouraging the impression that match tickets at The Valley are worthless. I don’t disagree with using free tickets or prioritising Greenwich residents, but these schemes operate best fairly low on the radar. For example, working with primary schools gave them a strategic focus without the need for trumpeting.

Might have been Greenwich's comms team pushing it to make the council look good, rather than the club. They were pushing it on social media earlier in the week. 
    Fair comment. I’m not sure why they would push it at BBC London, though. More likely the BBC picked it up from there.
    Some well-meaning BBC London journalist may have picked it up from the council's social media and thought it was newsworthy at a desperately quiet time of year.

I expect other clubs will have been doing the same without their councils trumpeting it on social media - but Greenwich's comms are often about reputation rather than targeting information properly. 

I'm not suprised that some elements of our fan base can find a negative spin.
    Everyone is positive on it mate until you have loads of them put in the seats around you. The ones last game were good, they arrived late, left before half time to get beers and didn’t bother coming back for the 2nd half!
    And that was just in the directors box 😂
  • Options
    The wife works for the NHS, they can also get free tickets other than the booking fee. Wish I’d not bothered with the season tickets now. 
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    Was mentioned on the BBC tv London news tonight. No mention of precise fixtures or any request to not interfere with the regulars in any way, basically pictures of the valley and a referral to the greenwich coumcil website. Still good to see. The marketing team/person has done well to get the level of coverage.
    I would question whether it is good coverage. What is the benefit of telling people outside Greenwich - it just encourages fans elsewhere to contact their friends and relatives who do live in the borough and get a freebie. Effective comms would be with people in Greenwich who are not currently supporters.

More generally you are just encouraging the impression that match tickets at The Valley are worthless. I don’t disagree with using free tickets or prioritising Greenwich residents, but these schemes operate best fairly low on the radar. For example, working with primary schools gave them a strategic focus without the need for trumpeting.

Might have been Greenwich's comms team pushing it to make the council look good, rather than the club. They were pushing it on social media earlier in the week. 
    Fair comment. I’m not sure why they would push it at BBC London, though. More likely the BBC picked it up from there.
    Some well-meaning BBC London journalist may have picked it up from the council's social media and thought it was newsworthy at a desperately quiet time of year.

I expect other clubs will have been doing the same without their councils trumpeting it on social media - but Greenwich's comms are often about reputation rather than targeting information properly. 

I'm not suprised that some elements of our fan base can find a negative spin.
    Everyone is positive on it mate until you have loads of them put in the seats around you. The ones last game were good, they arrived late, left before half time to get beers and didn’t bother coming back for the 2nd half!
    To be fair they were probably in the queue to get served all the second half  ;)