Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Options
    Just advertised this on the BBC local news
  • Options
    Just advertised this on the BBC local news
    Yes, that’s what prompted me to post this 
  • Options
    Nothing new we have gave free tickets out before to local schools & for people giving up smoking loosing weight & for almost anything 
    It even ended up we couldn't even give them away demand just wasn't there 
    I live in SE7 I have a season ticket but I will be applying for 2 for family & friends  B)
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Free ticket offer for tonight's game just "advertised" on BBC London local news bulletin.

Which is pretty funny as the Council says they have run out except for October matches.
    https://www.royalgreenwich.gov.uk/info/200344/supporting_you/2417/charlton_tickets_for_residents_in_the_borough
  • Options
    cafcfan said:
    Free ticket offer for tonight's game just "advertised" on BBC London local news bulletin.

Which is pretty funny as the Council says they have run out except for October matches.
    https://www.royalgreenwich.gov.uk/info/200344/supporting_you/2417/charlton_tickets_for_residents_in_the_borough
    The game is tomorrow.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

The game is tomorrow.
    Oops!

• Options
    This is all ok but just hope they actually sit on the seat thats allocated to them, and not just feel they can sit where they like in the stand.

Further if you want hot dogs and chips, get them well before the game not disturb everybody 15 mins into the game.
  • Options
    Was mentioned on the BBC tv London news tonight. No mention of precise fixtures or any request to not interfere with the regulars in any way, basically pictures of the valley and a referral to the greenwich coumcil website. Still good to see. The marketing team/person has done well to get the level of coverage.
  • Options
    Was mentioned on the BBC tv London news tonight. No mention of precise fixtures or any request to not interfere with the regulars in any way, basically pictures of the valley and a referral to the greenwich coumcil website. Still good to see. The marketing team/person has done well to get the level of coverage.
    I would question whether it is good coverage. What is the benefit of telling people outside Greenwich - it just encourages fans elsewhere to contact their friends and relatives who do live in the borough and get a freebie. Effective comms would be with people in Greenwich who are not currently supporters.

More generally you are just encouraging the impression that match tickets at The Valley are worthless. I don’t disagree with using free tickets or prioritising Greenwich residents, but these schemes operate best fairly low on the radar. For example, working with primary schools gave them a strategic focus without the need for trumpeting.

Might have been Greenwich's comms team pushing it to make the council look good, rather than the club. They were pushing it on social media earlier in the week. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2023
    I would question whether it is good coverage. What is the benefit of telling people outside Greenwich - it just encourages fans elsewhere to contact their friends and relatives who do live in the borough and get a freebie. Effective comms would be with people in Greenwich who are not currently supporters.

More generally you are just encouraging the impression that match tickets at The Valley are worthless. I don’t disagree with using free tickets or prioritising Greenwich residents, but these schemes operate best fairly low on the radar. For example, working with primary schools gave them a strategic focus without the need for trumpeting.

Might have been Greenwich's comms team pushing it to make the council look good, rather than the club. They were pushing it on social media earlier in the week. 
    Fair comment. I’m not sure why they would push it at BBC London, though. More likely the BBC picked it up from there.
  • Options

Fair comment. I’m not sure why they would push it at BBC London, though. More likely the BBC picked it up from there.
    Some well-meaning BBC London journalist may have picked it up from the council's social media and thought it was newsworthy at a desperately quiet time of year.

I expect other clubs will have been doing the same without their councils trumpeting it on social media - but Greenwich's comms are often about reputation rather than targeting information properly. 
  • Options

Some well-meaning BBC London journalist may have picked it up from the council's social media and thought it was newsworthy at a desperately quiet time of year.

I expect other clubs will have been doing the same without their councils trumpeting it on social media - but Greenwich's comms are often about reputation rather than targeting information properly. 
    It's great coverage, all part of the bigger marketing campaign. I can assure you, it's not easy getting this type of story covered on the BBC.

I'm not suprised that some elements of our fan base can find a negative spin.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

I'm not suprised that some elements of our fan base can find a negative spin.
    Everyone is positive on it mate until you have loads of them put in the seats around you. The ones last game were good, they arrived late, left before half time to get beers and didn’t bother coming back for the 2nd half!
  • Options
    I reckon news programmes are looking for easy stories to cover at this ‘silly season’ time of the year.

• Options
    Not everyone lives in Greenwich but would still be interested in what happens at CAFC. 
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    Not everyone lives in Greenwich but would still be interested in what happens at CAFC. 

That's it London news always say what's going on at London teams it is London news after all 
  • Options
    I put this on my neighbourhood whatsapp group in New Eltham last week and have had so many people say that they have enquired to get tickets and will be taking their kids etc. My next-door neighbour is taking his son despite notionally being an Arsenal fan.
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    It’s a shame the club allowed hard-won local media coverage across the South East to lapse then. There are far more Charlton supporters in coastal Kent and Sussex, as well as closer parts of those counties, than in at least three quarters of the 32 London boroughs. 

This is why pan-London advertising was always a waste of money.
    But they don’t live in The Royal Borough of Greenwich of which is a condition for this free offer. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Solidgone said:
    Solidgone said:
    It’s a shame the club allowed hard-won local media coverage across the South East to lapse then. There are far more Charlton supporters in coastal Kent and Sussex, as well as closer parts of those counties, than in at least three quarters of the 32 London boroughs. 

But they don’t live in The Royal Borough of Greenwich of which is a condition for this free offer. 
    Nor do those watching bbc london in Haringey or Hounslow, or even in lewisham… 
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Solidgone said:
    Solidgone said:

for this promotion then yeah tell the London media, most won't give a shit (same as if it was directed at the 'Royal borough of Kensington and Chelsea' for stamford bridge tickets) but for one borough and it's people, they will.
    However his point is most of London won't care and find it rather galling that one borough has special treatment. They're a lot of fans who don't live in the 'Royal borough of Greenwich'. plus most that do, support some northern team such as Arsenal or Spurs.  You took the same initiative and put it to the people of Kent and the London boroughs of Greenwich, Woolwich, Bexley and Bromley you will get a better response and you're directing your marketing at the right people. Don't know how you would achieve this though, seems as if London and Kent are cut off from one and another when it comes to Media. 
  • Options
    I would question whether it is good coverage. What is the benefit of telling people outside Greenwich? It just encourages fans elsewhere to contact their friends and relatives who do live in the borough and get a freebie. Effective comms would be with people in Greenwich who are not currently supporters.

I live in Greenwich and emailed last week to be told there wasn’t any left. 

Saw the scheme in a local newsletter last year, emailed and was given a choice of 4 games, ended up with two tickets to the Ipswich game. As Airman says perhaps the increased publicity this year has led to less tickets for interested locals.
  • Options
    matt88 said:
    I would question whether it is good coverage. What is the benefit of telling people outside Greenwich? It just encourages fans elsewhere to contact their friends and relatives who do live in the borough and get a freebie. Effective comms would be with people in Greenwich who are not currently supporters.

I live in Greenwich and emailed last week to be told there wasn’t any left. 

Saw the scheme in a local newsletter last year, emailed and was given a choice of 4 games, ended up with two tickets to the Ipswich game. As Airman says perhaps the increased publicity this year has led to less tickets for interested locals.
    Which suggests they need to make more tickets available through this route rather than other freebie routes as this has been more successful 
  • Options
    I always thought these were tickets to help people who are skint because of the cost of living crisis rather than a marketing exercise.
  • Options
    Provided this is a maximum of 500 tickets per game then no issues with it. We don’t want another scenario where a bunch of tickets are on the counter in the local mini market shop on the Plumstead Road and you get one with a loaf and a pint of semi skimmed.

• Options
    shirty5 said:
    Provided this is a maximum of 500 tickets per game then no issues with it. We don’t want another scenario where a bunch of tickets are on the counter in the local mini market shop on the Plumstead Road and you get one with a loaf and a pint of semi skimmed.

Or on a raffle prize table at a school fete where last Xmas out of date biscuits gets scooped up before 2 tickets v Fleetwood.
  • Options
    I always thought these were tickets to help people who are skint because of the cost of living crisis rather than a marketing exercise.
    That's it some just don't understand why it was on London news & it's something Greenwich Council are doing through the club & are paying for
  • Options
    Wellred said:
    That's it some just don't understand why it was on London news & it's something Greenwich Council are doing through the club & are paying for
     No chance.
  • Options
    Wellred said:
    BBC content in England is editorial, so it's not paid for. Free coverage on local TV is over a hundred times more valuable than paid for content in the local press.