Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New Covid variant..

Comments

• Tests should be provided free from doctors surgeries and chemists imo. Reduced down to packs of 2 or 3 instead of 10. 

Surely efforts to restrict such a transmissible illness will have both an NHS and workforce productivity impact that would outweigh the cost? 
    Fwiw I completely agree but given that, let’s guess 50% of the population won’t bother or flat refuse to test and given the ease of transmission, can you justify it at all ? 
    Why would someone not test to prevent you passing it on? I wouldn't want to pass it on to anyone. Not everyone is vulnerable, but you could pass it on to someone who could pass it on to someone who was
    Millions of people didn’t use the testing and reporting system when it was free and delivered to your door by the postman during some very scary times. Trying to convince people it’s a good idea now when it’s not free or widely available and most people have almost forgotten Covid existed is I think, let’s say a challenge.
  • bobmunro said:
    Covid still has the potential to make people feel very unwell as the OP has stated. It will cause more disruption as people have time off work and school. I accept that mask wearing won't become the norm, however if people have symptoms, they should test before going into public places where they may pass on the infection to someone far less able to fight against infection.

Covid is still a new disease and even when the initial infection is mild, long term health problems can still occur as a result. There are hundreds of thousands in this country still suffering from Long Covid and many millions more around the world. With so many infections it is likely that many more cases of Long Covis will occur.

The World Health Organisation has said that countries should not let down their guard and that they shouldn't dismantle the systems they built for Covid. Unfortunately almist all the systems set up in this country have now been stopped.

I had some of the symptoms of Covid a couple of weeks ago, but I tested 3 times and was negative. The symptoms of the latest varaint are:

• a sore throat
    • a runny nose
    • a blocked nose
    • sneezing
    • a cough without phlegm
    • a headache
    • a cough with phlegm
    • a hoarse voice
    • muscle aches and pains
    • an altered sense of smell

https://news.sky.com/story/new-covid-variant-spreading-across-uk-as-overall-cases-continue-to-rise-12933456

That list of symptoms is pretty exhaustive - and most if not all would apply to the vast majority of viral respiratory infections, including the common cold (some versions of which are of course coronaviruses). 

The scientists will stay vigilant for any new viruses but we have to move on, and the overwhelming majority of the population already have.    
    By moving on, I hope you don't mean go out in public when you have these symptoms. Covid does still pose a significant risk to many people and consideration for others should be paramount. I hate this notion that if you care about the effects of a new disease, you haven't moved on. 

• Redskin said:
    I am still hearing that we still don't know enough about the long term effects of Covid. 
    That's because there is still no conclusive test for 'Long Covid'.

There are any number of epidemiologists/pathologists etc around the world that claim the symptoms assumed to be the result of 'Long Covid' could be adverse reactions to the 'vaccines'.
    Cue, but the majority of scientists say that...etc,etc.

People seem to ignore the fact that being the majority doesn't preclude it from being wrong. You only have to consider the effectiveness of the 'vaccines' or the impotent, ruinous effects of lockdowns to see that writ large in bold type.

And before anyone still clinging to the moth-eaten comfort blanket that claims, but the vaccines saved millions of lives, they should consider how the proof of that assertion was established. The fact is that it never was; it was the pandemics favourite conjectural chimera: modelling. Ergo: hypothetical, not proven. 

As others have already pointed out, Covid is now established as a disease that we will have to accomodate and there has been news in the last few days that Covid is back…again. This time it’s the Eris variant, named after the Greek goddess of strife and discord, which is music to the ears of Big Pharma who will be breaking out the Bunsen Burners in anticipation of developing the 100 Days Mission vaccine - formerly known as At the Speed of Science! Jesus, people actually swallowed this propagandist doggrel...

But if the Greek goddess of strife and discord variant turns out to be little more than a bad cold, 200 scientists can busy themselves at the Government's high-security Porton Down laboratory complex in Wiltshire developing a vaccine for...Disease X

https://news.sky.com/story/uk-scientists-begin-work-on-defending-against-new-pandemic-caused-by-disease-x-12934956

I think you are displaying the affects of long covid; it just not your respiratory system that has been affected
  • The Rising Numbers of Covid-19 Cases and Deaths in Italy: A Growing Concern

August 12, 2023

Italy Sees Rise in Covid Cases and Deaths, Positivity Rate Increases

The numbers of Covid in Italy continue to rise as the country battles against the ongoing pandemic. In the last week, from 4 to 10 August, 6,056 new cases were recorded, compared to 5,732 in the previous 7 days, marking an increase of approximately 5.7%.

What is concerning is the spike in deaths. There were 65 deaths reported in the past 7 days, reflecting an alarming 58.5% increase compared to the previous week when there were 41 deaths. These statistics were revealed in the weekly bulletin of the Ministry of Health, which provides an overview of the Covid-19 situation.

The positivity rate is also on the rise, standing at 5.2% compared to 4.1% in the week of July 28-August 3. This represents a significant increase of 1.1 percentage points.

https://www.breakinglatest.news/health/the-rising-numbers-of-covid-19-cases-and-deaths-in-italy-a-growing-concern/?fbclid=IwAR1PpS5mA6RfO7hFLSzTBM-Y1cEyO_KJamQnZUDoK01xMiobtR6CI9RFKKI

• Isn’t a positive now that people generally (not all) will think more about isolating / staying away from the office / others if they have symptoms. 

Generally employers are more sympathetic if you can WFH. And ‘presenteeism’ is less of a thing. 

And of course not for all jobs / roles but at least more than before. 

So whilst not perfect we will self regulate and control to a better degree than pre Covid. 

Not perfect but better. 

• Sponsored links:

• Isn’t a positive now that people generally (not all) will think more about isolating / staying away from the office / others if they have symptoms. 

Generally employers are more sympathetic if you can WFH. And ‘presenteeism’ is less of a thing. 

And of course not for all jobs / roles but at least more than before. 

So whilst not perfect we will self regulate and control to a better degree than pre Covid. 

Not perfect but better. 

It is a positive that some people will stay away from others, if they have an illness which might be infectious, but unfortunately there are a lot of people who don't think like that. You only have to see the 'lols' for my earlier posts to see the mindset of a lot of people.

If you show any concern about a disease which has killed millions and ruined the lives of many millions more, you are accused of 'not moving on'.
  • Redskin said:
    Chizz said:
    Redskin said:
    I am still hearing that we still don't know enough about the long term effects of Covid. 

There are any number of epidemiologists/pathologists etc around the world that claim the symptoms assumed to be the result of 'Long Covid' could be adverse reactions to the 'vaccines'.

People seem to ignore the fact that being the majority doesn't preclude it from being wrong. You only have to consider the effectiveness of the 'vaccines' or the impotent, ruinous effects of lockdowns to see that writ large in bold type.

And before anyone still clinging to the moth-eaten comfort blanket that claims, but the vaccines saved millions of lives, they should consider how the proof of that assertion was established. The fact is that it never was; it was the pandemics favourite conjectural chimera: modelling. Ergo: hypothetical, not proven. 

As others have already pointed out, Covid is now established as a disease that we will have to accomodate and there has been news in the last few days that Covid is back…again. This time it’s the Eris variant, named after the Greek goddess of strife and discord, which is music to the ears of Big Pharma who will be breaking out the Bunsen Burners in anticipation of developing the 100 Days Mission vaccine - formerly known as At the Speed of Science! Jesus, people actually swallowed this propagandist doggrel...

But if the Greek goddess of strife and discord variant turns out to be little more than a bad cold, 200 scientists can busy themselves at the Government's high-security Porton Down laboratory complex in Wiltshire developing a vaccine for...Disease X

https://news.sky.com/story/uk-scientists-begin-work-on-defending-against-new-pandemic-caused-by-disease-x-12934956

So, Long Covid is due to being vaccinated?  And the vaccine didn't prevent millions of deaths?  

OK... 
    I didn't claim that 'Long Covid' - for which there is still NO conclusive test, and so its supposed existence is just that: supposed - is due to being vaccinated. I said that there are any number of epidemiologists/pathologists etc around the world that claim the symptoms assumed to be the result of 'Long Covid' could be adverse reactions to the 'vaccines'.

I also didn't say that  the vaccine didn't prevent millions of deaths, I said that this figure of millions - 800? 80? 8? 0.8? - was based on modelling. In bold type. And as such it remains hypothetical and not fact; it may have saved millions, it may not, but it would be impossible to quantify exactly how many. It is little more than a nebulous slogan.
    How many countries in the world now have a stockpile of millions of redundant
    vaccines.Germany, for example, has thrown out 83 million doses of coronavirus vaccines at a rough cost of €1.6 billion and has 120 million more doses sitting unused in stock.

You need to pay a little more attention to what has actually been written, otherwise you might find yourself resorting to erroneous absolutes.

Ironically, I think you need to pay more attention, judging by your conclusions!
  • aliwibble said:
    Redskin said:
    I didn't claim that 'Long Covid' - for which there is still NO conclusive test, and so its supposed existence is just that: supposed - is due to being vaccinated. I said that there are any number of epidemiologists/pathologists etc around the world that claim the symptoms assumed to be the result of 'Long Covid' could be adverse reactions to the 'vaccines'.
    And how does this hypothesis account for all those people who were displaying the symptoms of Long COVID in the first wave, when the vaccines weren't even being tested, let alone rolled out to the general public?
    As you know I have a friend who caught Covid in the first wave and suffered very badly for weeks. She has still not recovered fully and has had Long Covid ever since. 

I hope you are feeling better now.
  • ry to hear your life has been impacted in such way @peterreeves . Someone I know has had to protect their son in such a way. 

hope you have the attitude to not give a f*** what other people looking at you think 
    Yes I do on occasions lose my shirt, I think just being an addick makes you angry🤣
  • Redskin said:
    Chizz said:
    Redskin said:

So, Long Covid is due to being vaccinated?  And the vaccine didn't prevent millions of deaths?  

OK... 

I also didn't say that  the vaccine didn't prevent millions of deaths, I said that this figure of millions - 800? 80? 8? 0.8? - was based on modelling. In bold type. And as such it remains hypothetical and not fact; it may have saved millions, it may not, but it would be impossible to quantify exactly how many. It is little more than a nebulous slogan.
    vaccines.Germany, for example, has thrown out 83 million doses of coronavirus vaccines at a rough cost of €1.6 billion and has 120 million more doses sitting unused in stock.

You need to pay a little more attention to what has actually been written, otherwise you might find yourself resorting to erroneous absolutes.

I can think of someone that I definitely don't need to pay attention to. 
  • Sorry to hear @ValleyGary i hope it all works out mate 
  • The economic ramifications of Covid are now coming home to roost. I thought I’d found a lifeline after losing my business to Covid but turns out I got made redundant at my new job cos of Covid loans and now higher interest rates. This isn’t just a physical pandemic it’s a financial and mental fuck fest. Then you’re told ‘you don’t care’ and you can see where the frustration comes from.

Of course people’s health is of most importance, but it really isn’t as easy as that:
    That’s shit mate, hope you get something sorted sooner rather than later 
  • Sponsored links:

• Personally I think the way forward with this to encourage people to be sensible when they have symptoms of any contagious illness be that covid, a cold, noro virus etc. If you can stay home to avoid spreading it around. I know that is not possible for some people like those self employed or working in the gig economy. But the days of coming into work coughing and spluttering and getting a pat on the back from your boss for soldiering on should be over.
  • Covid still has the potential to make people feel very unwell as the OP has stated. It will cause more disruption as people have time off work and school. I accept that mask wearing won't become the norm, however if people have symptoms, they should test before going into public places where they may pass on the infection to someone far less able to fight against infection.

Covid is still a new disease and even when the initial infection is mild, long term health problems can still occur as a result. There are hundreds of thousands in this country still suffering from Long Covid and many millions more around the world. With so many infections it is likely that many more cases of Long Covis will occur.

The World Health Organisation has said that countries should not let down their guard and that they shouldn't dismantle the systems they built for Covid. Unfortunately almist all the systems set up in this country have now been stopped.

I had some of the symptoms of Covid a couple of weeks ago, but I tested 3 times and was negative. The symptoms of the latest varaint are:

• a sore throat
    • a runny nose
    • a blocked nose
    • sneezing
    • a cough without phlegm
    • a headache
    • a cough with phlegm
    • a hoarse voice
    • muscle aches and pains
    • an altered sense of smell

https://news.sky.com/story/new-covid-variant-spreading-across-uk-as-overall-cases-continue-to-rise-12933456

Covered all bases then, have a day off.

• edited August 2023
    I want to say thanks to ME14 and SHG plus a few others on here that 'get it' about how living with this bloody disease is not easy.

My immune system is still picking up two years after my bone marrow transplant. I've had to have all my childhood jabs again, 5 covid jabs, and countless nasty pneumonia jabs too, heck I don't  even get my MMR jab until November! 

Yet besides all the preventive jabs Covid is the one thing my Consultant worries about most in part because the Science can't say for sure just how much protection the vaccine gives people with a rubbish immune system.

This is why many people, including me and my family, continue to wear masks and look like The Lone Ranger Appreciation Society in Sainsburys with some people looking at you like your some type of hypochondriac! 

Joking aside though it's horrible and it's been like this for over two years. I really hope that my family and everyone else in a similar situation can stop wearing masks but until they can muster up a good profilactic drug I have the sense that for the million or so Immunosuppressed and immunocompromised living in the UK we will have to remain vigilant.

Its good to know there are people that think of others but our Government is  not one of them. I agree with other lifer comments that there should be cheaper testing kits, free masks and offering everyone over 50 at least a Covid booster, even if they were asked to pay a tenner but unless something changes I don't think there will be any policy changes.

Anyway, at least we still have Charlton🤣. 
    I'm sorry to hear that you are suffering so much, you're brave and sensible to continue wearing a mask when you go out. Don't let others put you off. I know there are many like you who feel forgotten, whilst everyone else 'moves on'.
    @ValleyGary why are you laughing at this? Peter Reeves is suffering and I am showing sympathy, can't see anything funny in that.

I am sorry about your work problems as I would with anyone in your situation, but there are so many factors affecting the economic situation in the UK, not just Covid, but that is not a discussion for this thread, which would take it into HoC territory.
  • buckshee said:
    Quick everyone, take another jab, stay indoors and don't touch anything!
    I think its time to bring back 1 way systems in shopping centres.
  • buckshee said:
    Quick everyone, take another jab, stay indoors and don't touch anything!
    I think it’s time to bring back 1 way systems in shopping centres.
    It works in IKEA
  • I want to say thanks to ME14 and SHG plus a few others on here that 'get it' about how living with this bloody disease is not easy.

My immune system is still picking up two years after my bone marrow transplant. I've had to have all my childhood jabs again, 5 covid jabs, and countless nasty pneumonia jabs too, heck I don't  even get my MMR jab until November! 

Yet besides all the preventive jabs Covid is the one thing my Consultant worries about most in part because the Science can't say for sure just how much protection the vaccine gives people with a rubbish immune system.

This is why many people, including me and my family, continue to wear masks and look like The Lone Ranger Appreciation Society in Sainsburys with some people looking at you like your some type of hypochondriac! 

Joking aside though it's horrible and it's been like this for over two years. I really hope that my family and everyone else in a similar situation can stop wearing masks but until they can muster up a good profilactic drug I have the sense that for the million or so Immunosuppressed and immunocompromised living in the UK we will have to remain vigilant.

Its good to know there are people that think of others but our Government is  not one of them. I agree with other lifer comments that there should be cheaper testing kits, free masks and offering everyone over 50 at least a Covid booster, even if they were asked to pay a tenner but unless something changes I don't think there will be any policy changes.

Anyway, at least we still have Charlton🤣. 
    I'm sorry to hear that you are suffering so much, you're brave and sensible to continue wearing a mask when you go out. Don't let others put you off. I know there are many like you who feel forgotten, whilst everyone else 'moves on'.
    @ValleyGary why are you laughing at this? Peter Reeves is suffering and I am showing sympathy, can't see anything funny in that.

I am sorry about your work problems as I would with anyone in your situation, but there are so many factors affecting the economic situation in the UK, not just Covid, but that is not a discussion for this thread, which would take it into HoC territory.
    Don’t tag me please, I think it’s best for everyone we don’t interact. Don’t like something I say or do, ignore it. 

Cheers.
  • Redskin said:
    Chizz said:
    Redskin said:

OK... 

Long Covid does exist. Certainly there is no definitive test because as I posted yesterday, which you ignored it manifests in every bodily system. An analogy would be in cancer where all diseases of malignancy are grouped together under the heading of “Cancer” but all cancers are distinctly different in every aspect and for which there is also no conclusive all encompassing test. Each disease investigated differently. There will be some people who are experiencing long term adverse reactions to the vaccines and that is to be fully expected. No vaccine is 100% safe. It might be interesting if you could post how many people are diagnosed with long Covid who never received the vaccine ? I’ll try and find out myself later.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!