Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CAST meeting with Jim Rodwell

2»

Comments

• Options
    Kap10 said:
    Kap10 said:
    Tracy Crouch bill seems to have gone very quiet, do we think it will be acted up on

No.
    Long forgotten by government.
    On what grounds do you say that? AFAIK it’s a White Paper that gets time this autumn. If it were as you say then Kieran Maguire, who contributed to the FLR, would have kicked off by now, as probably would CAST. 
    Thanks to both of you. Glad to hear it has white paper time in the Autumn.

I suppose for some of us the quiet is disconcerting but of course Parliamentary procedure and timetable runs at its own speed.
    No doubt the government's intention, either way, will be revealed in the autumn.
    Much needed and should have been tackled years ago, but I have little confidence that this government will do the right thing.
    And as this is not a HoC thread, I will leave it there.
  • Options
    Kap10 said:
    Kap10 said:
    Tracy Crouch bill seems to have gone very quiet, do we think it will be acted up on

No.
    Long forgotten by government.
    On what grounds do you say that? AFAIK it’s a White Paper that gets time this autumn. If it were as you say then Kieran Maguire, who contributed to the FLR, would have kicked off by now, as probably would CAST. 
    Thanks to both of you. Glad to hear it has white paper time in the Autumn.

I suppose for some of us the quiet is disconcerting but of course Parliamentary procedure and timetable runs at its own speed.
    No doubt the government's intention, either way, will be revealed in the autumn.
    Much needed and should have been tackled years ago, but I have little confidence that this government will do the right thing.
    And as this is not a HoC thread, I will leave it there.
    As someone who has never voted Tory in his life, and never will, I urge you to take a good long look at Tracey Crouch’s record, generally and particularly on football. She is one of an increasingly rare breed of politician who actually choose that career to try and make things better. She therefore deserves our support and thanks. Rather than what she gets, such as  dogs abuse from idiot Newcastel fans who blamed her for somehow holding up the purchase of their club by the Saudi butchers. As if she had any say in the matter! 
    It also has to be said that before her, another Tory, Damian Collins, did a lot of good work, and it was he I think who first argued for a regulator. But for whatever reason, I think internal party politics ( Collins backed Bozo’s leadership run), his work lost traction, but Crouch picked it up. 
    Both gave the matter a lot of thought and research and tackled head on the key question, how is football’s money distributed, and is it optimal overall for all the voters to whom football matters? While some Labour politicians have weighed in locally about the issues of clubs, especially in the North-West, they have failed to engage their brains with concrete policies thst would fix the game, as Tracey Crouch has done. The only MP who tried was “our own” Clive Efford, a decent guy IMO despite being a Spanner. you can find details of his bill online. Admittedly its something like 15 years old now but it always looked a bit naive to me. It swerved the issue of how exactly you’d impose its recommendations on football. (The fans’ golden share was the standout idea, but with no mechanics on how it would work).
    It looks like Tracey Crouch’s bill has cross-party support, an increasingly rare thing in our tribal politics, and when that regulator’s office opens she deserves a medal the size of a football, and a statue of her in her Spurs kit outside White Hart Lane ( although I hear Daniel Levy is not a fan, can’t think why).

here endeth the lesson😉

let's hope! I'll ask on the HoC thread next time
  • Options
    I guess my take on the interview, didn’t say anything alarming, nor did he say anything that was particularly inspiring or exciting.

I'll settle for that at the moment. "Premier league in 5 years" was exciting but bullshit so I'm glad that sort of guff is no more. 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    I guess my take on the interview, didn’t say anything alarming, nor did he say anything that was particularly inspiring or exciting.

I'll settle for that at the moment. "Premier league in 5 years" was exciting but bullshit so I'm glad that sort of guff is no more. 
    Agree.