Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Options
    thanks for the write up CAST
  • Options
    all this sensible talk from the club's stewards is going to take some getting used to after the last decade or so
    all quite reassuring to hear
    the upturn in season ticket numbers I'm sure reflects a wider appreciation of the improved position generally
    onwards and upwards 
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    I know it’s all about what he does, rather than says, but it’s nice to have someone in to try and run the club properly, rather than when the previous  owner is trying to sell the club, and brings one in, to take the heat off of him.
  • Options
    I'd not give this mob too much credit, they are only doing what should be done in the first place.
    We have been run by f****** idiots in the previous two ownerships which should not cloud judgements of this lot.
  • Options
    Sensible comments, though I suspect that any extra money given by the PL to the EFL would just end up pushing EFL wages up, rather than making the EFL clubs more "sustainable"
  • Options
    Sensible comments, though I suspect that any extra money given by the PL to the EFL would just end up pushing EFL wages up, rather than making the EFL clubs more "sustainable"
    If the FA had not set up the PL as a separate entity and handed it full control over the Sky broadcast rights we would not all be in this mess, and specifically a lot of the shit that has come our way as Charlton fans would not have -certainly not ESI. How do you think the salaries in the PL reached such absurd levels in the first place? 

Anyway, faultless answers to good questions by Rodwell there. It's a good sign. We all wet ourselves over ESI's original PR statement written by their dodgy PR bloke ("we are just stewards") but the wheels came off soon after Southall first opened his gob. The new owners are already above that (admittedly ground level) bar.
  • Options
    Tracy Crouch bill seems to have gone very quiet, do we think it will be acted up on

• Options
    Good interview. Only time will tell but it sounds like a plan to me.
  • Options
    James is a former professional footballer (appearing for fifteen clubs including 150 games for Rushden & Diamonds). Since 2010 he has been Chief Executive at Notts County, Scunthorpe, Sunderland, Peterborough and Hull City. He has also sat on the boards of both the EFL and the FA.

Don't seem able to hold down a job for very long eh?   :|
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Get the impression he comes across as quite guarded, sticks to the script and doesn’t give too much away. Not sure if that’s just my perception or not 
    Always a good approach in business!
  • Options
    Get the impression he comes across as quite guarded, sticks to the script and doesn’t give too much away. Not sure if that’s just my perception or not 
    He's more relaxed in person than it comes across in writing here, and yes, is experienced/ canny enough to ensure he remains 'on message'.
  • Options
    Bring in a decent forward and my opinion will change with this mob......
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    I'd not give this mob too much credit, they are only doing what should be done in the first place.
    We have been run by f****** idiots in the previous two ownerships which should not cloud judgements of this lot.
    Whilst I agree with this opinion, it works both ways and they should not be tarnished with the same brush as previous owners either. If they act sensibly, recruit sensibly and do right by Charlton then they can have plenty of credit.
    We'll have a better idea by 31st January.
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    Whilst I agree with this opinion, it works both ways and they should not be tarnished with the same brush as previous owners either. If they act sensibly, recruit sensibly and do right by Charlton then they can have plenty of credit.
    We'll have a better idea by 31st January.
    Think that’s a sensible barometer date 👍
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    For me he has said nothing. 

It’s comparable to what i recall previous owners have said at the start. 

I wasn’t expecting much more however. 

Still doesn’t stack up for me why CM is in such a high profile place. That’s still a little unclear in my opinion. 

That said nothing to raise any more alarm bells. 
  • Options
    edited August 2023

Still doesn’t stack up for me why CM is in such a high profile place. That’s still a little unclear in my opinion. 

Yet 
  • Options
    Kap10 said:
    Tracy Crouch bill seems to have gone very quiet, do we think it will be acted up on

No.
    Long forgotten by government.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    James is a former professional footballer (appearing for fifteen clubs including 150 games for Rushden & Diamonds). Since 2010 he has been Chief Executive at Notts County, Scunthorpe, Sunderland, Peterborough and Hull City. He has also sat on the boards of both the EFL and the FA.

Don't seem able to hold down a job for very long eh?   :|
    A lot of CEO's are like that. 3 or 4 years at a place & then move on. Usually just enough time for their ideas to have been implemented but not long enough to see those ideas come unstuck. 

Seen it many times in my career. 
    Sunderland 606 and with Charlie they viewed things differently after a season.  The first 12 months were all guns blazing......
  • Options

We're being fed more porkies than from a butcher.
  • Options

Valid questions.

But does anyone sensible  declare their budget?

As tenants there must be a mechanism for contacting the owner. Albeit I don’t see a ground purchase imminently.

Happy, no. Consider the replies not unreasonable, yes. 

• Options
    This is something I don't mind. We've had plenty of "massive club, sleeping giant" type rhetoric from the last few regimes along with promises of player investment, promotion and glory. 

He strikes me as being realistic and understands that financial success will likely only happen when/if we get to the Premier League and there's lots to do on and off the pitch for that to happen. 

Dealing with RD to reclaim the freehold of the Valley and training ground is going to to be one of those things that divides fans. I'm sure we all want to see it happen and it will one day, but personally I don't see it as an urgent necessity as in something that needs fixing this season, Roland apparently wants around £50m and isn't going anywhere, neither are we. Do we really need to be opening negotiations at this point in time? 

All in all the interview struck me as a professional courtesy, one that he thought he should make and do sooner rather than later. 
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    I’d expect nothing more from Rodwell than to be guarded in his responses. He is after all, unlike Methven, an employee and therefore has to present whatever the owners allow him to. 

The appointment of Warrick makes a little more sense to me now. Nothing in his CV has ever suggested that he is qualified to be a FD, even in that brief 4 weeks they were in before, but he could be tasked with dealing with Duchatelet.

We’ll be clearer on the budget by the end of this month and, again, I can understand him being guarded about numbers. Playing wise, we’re only going to be able to judge them on the squad they assemble this month and how they then strengthen that again in January. 

A few comments have been made about the PL money above. Saw a statement from them last night that they are looking for “a quick resolution” (within weeks) to its financial redistribution talks with the Football League, amid “mounting political pressure”. The number mentioned is an additional £100m funding. 

• Options
    Kap10 said:

No.
    On what grounds do you say that? AFAIK it’s a White Paper that gets time this autumn. If it were as you say then Kieran Maguire, who contributed to the FLR, would have kicked off by now, as probably would CAST. 
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

No.
    On what grounds do you say that? AFAIK it’s a White Paper that gets time this autumn. If it were as you say then Kieran Maguire, who contributed to the FLR, would have kicked off by now, as probably would CAST. 
    Thanks to both of you. Glad to hear it has white paper time in the Autumn.

I suppose for some of us the quiet is disconcerting but of course Parliamentary procedure and timetable runs at its own speed.
  • Options
    It’s still very much on the agenda but MPs need their holidays, of course. 
  • Options
    I guess my take on the interview, didn’t say anything alarming, nor did he say anything that was particularly inspiring or exciting.