Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Holden ‘We’re Ready to Go’

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2023
  • Options
    I do see the point you're making.
  • Options
    “Full stop”
  • Options
    I like him on a personal level, seems a nice bloke who's been through some stuff as we all do and he's deffo a family man type.

As a tactician and coach, I'm losing faith already. Very impatient by me admittedly but something feels off. His body language was poor in his last interview and he shouldn't be making comments about backs against the wall etc. We aren't meant to be an underdog in league 1. 

I don't rate a handful of players in this squad, but I think a better manager would have achieve at least 6-7 points from our games so far and it's been a very easy start to the season. 

See how we get on the next two games, think that will paint a better picture

• Options
    edited August 2023
    Honestly I think we've played a lot of tidy football in possession.

It's when we're out of possession we often look all over the shop. It makes me wonder if it is the quality of players attacking in the defensive drills that is showing on the pitch. 

If you only ever defend against bad players, you'll struggle against good ones. 
  • Options

....... I don't rate a handful of players in this squad, but I think a better manager would have achieve at least 6-7 points from our games so far and it's been a very easy start to the season. 

Okay, the manager gets the plaudits when he's winning.
    And when things go wrong, he gets a kicking.

It's ever been thus.

But whatever fans think of Holden, he's not been dealt the best hand, has he?
    I mean, how do you pick a team with so many key players missing?

Plus he's no doubt waiting as anxiously as the fans for the quality signings he believes are coming.
    But not one has been signed since before the start of the season.

And then we've surrendered all of last the 4 last games, each time by elementary individual player mistakes.
    How do you prepare for that?

Put yourself in his shoes. He hasn't been given all the tools for the job, and many others are missing.
    It's not easy, is it?

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

....... I don't rate a handful of players in this squad, but I think a better manager would have achieve at least 6-7 points from our games so far and it's been a very easy start to the season. 

It's ever been thus.

Plus he's no doubt waiting as anxiously as the fans for the quality signings he believes are coming.

And then we've surrendered all of last the 4 last games, each time by elementary individual player mistakes.

Put yourself in his shoes. He hasn't been given all the tools for the job, and many others are missing.
    It's not easy, is it?

Fully agree with you - he cannot be held responsible for the shit shows so far.

If he is supported with new signings, then he can be judged.

He has an impossible job 
  • Options
    BigDiddy said:
    Oggy Red said:

It's ever been thus.

It's not easy, is it?

He has an impossible job 
    Very good @BigDiddy ..... in this respect, at least we're singing from the same hymn sheet.

Despite our dire start, let's give him 10 games before we judge him - he may just have some of the new signings he needs or key players returning from injury.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    BigDiddy said:
    Oggy Red said:

It's ever been thus.

It's not easy, is it?

He has an impossible job 
    Very good @BigDiddy ..... in this respect, at least we're singing from the same hymn sheet.

Despite our dire start, let's give him 10 games before we judge him - he may just have some of the new signings he needs or key players returning from injury.

I have no problem with Dean, or the players.

On Dean, he has not been given the squad. On the players, some are not up to it, so its not their fault.

Its as simple as that.

My problem has always been terrible owners, which is an affliction that affects many clubs.

One might also argue about the overall state of football finance, but that's another debate!

• Options
    Things haven't gone to plan but it is still early days in the season and we have to back the manager and hopefully he will also be backed by the owners. I believe we could be on 10 points now and nobody would be saying we were lucky. Yes we have problems to resolve but lets hold our heads for a bit longer please before we start questioning anything and everything.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Holden does say a lot of stuff that he thinks will please fans but i think there was some truth in us being ready because for 60 minutes against millwall - the only pre season game I saw - we looked very fit and far stronger than them - i think it’s the lack of ready made additions since that has undermined things but he can’t really say that 
    I think you’ve answered the question there with ‘for 60 minutes’…
  • Options
    He is sounding more and more like all our recent managers, a man who has been promised things from those making decisions above that are not being kept.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

It's ever been thus.

It's not easy, is it?

The thing is we have said that about the last load of managers. I do agree we are short on players, but Sean Clare has gone to Wigan and doing very well, Wigan fans are really impressed. Blackpool fans are raving about Albie as well now, some of them at least. Is this a coaching issue? 

Every team has injuries and players missing we will play. We aren't the only team with injuries in the league. The only players missing that are of real significance are Leaburn and Fraser imo, arguably Campbell who looked to be kicking on. 

Regardless of Campbell and Leaburn though, we still needed players to go with them for rotations.

I do think Dean has been sold short, but we still on paper have one of the best strikers in the league, wingers and a load of midfield options. It's the back that's the issue but is where our coaching staff need to earn their money.

It's early doors and like I said I like him, but I just have a feeling it's like Jacko, Garner and Adkins all over again, too much Mr Nice Guy. These players may need a manager that they're actually worried about letting down. Killing players with kindness only works with certain characters. 

I think if he can't achieve at least 6 points from the next 5 games there should be discussions. In terms of needing time to implement style, he's had the time. 31 games overseen not including friendlies. 12 wins 5 draws and 14 losses. Far too many losses for my liking. 

Just want to really emphasise I am not overreacting or being toxic here, just speculating that there could be a better manager out there based on what we have seen so far, I still hope he turns it around 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

It's ever been thus.

It's not easy, is it?

The thing is we have said that about the last load of managers. I do agree we are short on players, but Sean Clare has gone to Wigan and doing very well, Wigan fans are really impressed. Blackpool fans are raving about Albie as well now, some of them at least. Is this a coaching issue? 

Every team has injuries and players missing we will play. We aren't the only team with injuries in the league. The only players missing that are of real significance are Leaburn and Fraser imo, arguably Campbell who looked to be kicking on. 

Regardless of Campbell and Leaburn though, we still needed players to go with them for rotations.

I do think Dean has been sold short, but we still on paper have one of the best strikers in the league, wingers and a load of midfield options. It's the back that's the issue but is where our coaching staff need to earn their money.

It's early doors and like I said I like him, but I just have a feeling it's like Jacko, Garner and Adkins all over again, too much Mr Nice Guy. These players may need a manager that they're actually worried about letting down. Killing players with kindness only works with certain characters. 

I think if he can't achieve at least 6 points from the next 5 games there should be discussions. In terms of needing time to implement style, he's had the time. 31 games overseen not including friendlies. 12 wins 5 draws and 14 losses. Far too many losses for my liking. 

Just want to really emphasise I am not overreacting or being toxic here, just speculating that there could be a better manager out there based on what we have seen so far, I still hope he turns it around 
    I've got to go out in a minute, so it's only the quickest of responses rather than discuss with you properly.

Most of what you say, well ..... we all sound in agreement or at least in part.
    But I'll answer your last point ......  like undoubtedly there are better players out there than in Charlton's current squad, there's probably better managers out there than Dean Holden.

But maybe that better manager is already here and in place - he just needs to be given the tools to do the job?

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:

It's ever been thus.

It's not easy, is it?

I've got to go out in a minute, so it's only the quickest of responses rather than discuss with you properly.

But I'll answer your last point ......  like undoubtedly there are better players out there than in Charlton's current squad, there's probably better managers out there than Dean Holden.

But maybe that better manager is already here and in place - he just needs to be given the tools to do the job?

Yeah it could well be, but the proof is in the pudding and only time will tell.

I think we will have more than enough idea after the next 5 games.

Oxford (a) 
    Fleetwood (h)
    Wigan (a) 
    Stevenage (a) 
    Wycombe (h) 

Anything less than 6 from those is devastating for our season and honestly even that would be a very poor return. I'm going L, W, L, D, W. He needs to prove himself imo as so far it's not been enough, luck or not
  • Options
    Will Wigan be called off due to international calls?
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

It's ever been thus.

It's not easy, is it?

I often wonder about this as well Re: your point about coaching.  In Morgan’s case, the Blackpool fans may be impressed, but imo Morgan had ample chance to establish himself here under a few managers, and he could never hold down a regular place in the starting line up.  Clare I always thought was okay, but if you look back throughout his career, he’s clocked up a few clubs now given his age and apart from his time at Hearts, doesn’t seem to have set the world alight.  I appreciate there are external factors both could highlight, one of which being the quality of those around them, specifically for us in recent years.  In addition, they’re both newbies.  Everyone puts a little more in when they first start, it’s human nature.  In Morgan’s case, he’s only ever played for us, so really should be trying to impress.  Perhaps better coaching could’ve gotten more out of them, but neither are players I think we’ll look back on in years to come and say, they’re the ones that got away.

Re: Holden, I have my reservations in that he has yet to prove himself, but this hasn’t been the easiest of jobs.  I hope we crack it in the next week or so and he gets the tools to do the job, because given our current squad, without the additions, I think most managers would struggle, albeit some more than others 
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Should give it a bit more time before we judge whether Clare, Morgan et all have been successful elsewhere. They're in their honeymoon periods at these clubs. Time will tell. Even Bonne was initially a success at QPR. 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:

It's ever been thus.

It's not easy, is it?

Oxford (a) 
    Fleetwood (h)
    Wigan (a) 
    Stevenage (a) 
    Wycombe (h) 

Anything less than 6 from those is devastating for our season and honestly even that would be a very poor return. I'm going L, W, L, D, W. He needs to prove himself imo as so far it's not been enough, luck or not
    That's a tough run of games, harder than our opening 4 matches...
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    cabbles said:
    Oggy Red said:

It's ever been thus.

It's not easy, is it?

I often wonder about this as well Re: your point about coaching.  In Morgan’s case, the Blackpool fans may be impressed, but imo Morgan had ample chance to establish himself here under a few managers, and he could never hold down a regular place in the starting line up.  Clare I always thought was okay, but if you look back throughout his career, he’s clocked up a few clubs now given his age and apart from his time at Hearts, doesn’t seem to have set the world alight.  I appreciate there are external factors both could highlight, one of which being the quality of those around them, specifically for us in recent years.  In addition, they’re both newbies.  Everyone puts a little more in when they first start, it’s human nature.  In Morgan’s case, he’s only ever played for us, so really should be trying to impress.  Perhaps better coaching could’ve gotten more out of them, but neither are players I think we’ll look back on in years to come and say, they’re the ones that got away.

Re: Holden, I have my reservations in that he has yet to prove himself, but this hasn’t been the easiest of jobs.  I hope we crack it in the next week or so and he gets the tools to do the job, because given our current squad, without the additions, I think most managers would struggle, albeit some more than others 
    Yeah I am not necessarily saying they were the answer, just more so were we getting the best out of them, do we have a coaching issue at CAFC. Most players who come with promise tend to fail to deliver. It could run deeper than the manager and why I am saying it could be a culture issue as the club. I wouldn't want him necessarily but I would be curious what a Steve Evans type of manager would do to this side, as his side's always look up for it. Obviously that's not possible but just an idea. 

Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:

It's ever been thus.

It's not easy, is it?

Oxford (a) 
    Fleetwood (h)
    Wigan (a) 
    Stevenage (a) 
    Wycombe (h) 

That's a tough run of games, harder than our opening 4 matches...
    Is it though? Our opening 4 games were a newly promoted side, a play off team, a league 1 regular with a fair bit of talent and a Port Vale side who seemed to have gone under the radar a bit transfer wise.

Oxford finished lower than Bristol Rovers and Port Vale, false position you could argue and a substantial goal difference but still finished lower. Of course look better so far this season 

Fleetwood were projected at the start of the season to be facing relegation, so far lost 4 in all comps and had a draw, worse than us. 

Wigan will probably beat us and are of a similar calibre to Peterborough by the looks of things.

Stevenage finished behind Leyton Orient but of course have had a better start to league 1 so far.

Wycombe are a bang average middle of the pack league 1 side who slightly edge us in results but it's a home fixture..

It's all very similar and I wouldn't say, one run is substantially harder than the other. 

We will know in a few weeks how bad we are looking but if you genuinely believe those are harder runs, I am worried for us 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

It's ever been thus.

It's not easy, is it?

But he could at least work on getting our defending right would help no end
    He's had more then enough time to get the simple things right 
    Despite the missing front men I do feel we do go forward with good pace & determination 
    So if he could just sort out our defending it would go a long way to win us over 
  • Options
    Wellred said:
    Oggy Red said:

It's ever been thus.

It's not easy, is it?

But he could at least work on getting our defending right would help no end
    He's had more then enough time to get the simple things right 
    Despite the missing front men I do feel we do go forward with good pace & determination 
    So if he could just sort out our defending it would go a long way to win us over 
    Most of the goals conceded appear to be directly caused by being caught on the turnover, the ball failing to stick up front or
    carelessly losing possession under pressure or switching off, ballwatching.

Let's look more closely:

Newport:
    1st) McGrandles, lost possession edge of box
    2nd) Weak header by Ness only to edge of box, Hector asleep lets his man score
    3rd) Taylor slipped over, Hector dives in leaving his man unmarked in the box

Peterboro:
    Camara sloppily gives the ball away near to the 'D' under pressure, shoud've just cleared his lines

Bristol Rovers;
    1st) Unnessarily conceded free kick saved, but the 4 players in the defensive wall switched off ball watching
    2nd) Assiimwe ball watching, Ness alone facing 3 unmarked opponents moving together off the ball

Port Bleddy Vale:
    1st) Edun outjumped as Dobson loses his man
    2nd) Hector schoolboy error
    3rd) Assiimwe fails to clear his lines, robbed but scorer totally untracked as ballwatching defenders casually amble back

All of these are either individual player error or loss of concentration.
    Being human, players will make mistakes. But ballwatching is unforgivable.