Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Holden ‘We’re Ready to Go’

Every year this sound bite comes out from the whoever Manager at the start of a new season and rarely does it ring true! I’m mindful of the woeful first half performance against Derby last year, even though we eventually won, we looked far from ready!

Of course I hope this year will be different, I do have faith in Dean.

I think what I’m hoping to see is, commitment from the players in all games, not just against the better teams, a good style of play, tighter defence, better at set pieces both for and against. And a way to unlock defences when a team ‘parks the bus’ at The Valley.

In particular I’m hoping to see less defeats / draws against the lesser teams, particularly at home. Naturally, we have no divine right to beat anyone but we do seem to slip up against those who we might expect to beat more often than not!

What are you hoping to see, that may give rise that this season, may just be different from others and raises our optimism rather than scepticism?

Let’s hope the Orient game is the start of a new dawn.

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2023
    I'm really looking forward to seeing Kirk play. 

For someone else. 
    Me too and DJ
  • Options
    That's an extraordinary thing to say with only one fit senior striker available.
  • Options
    That's an extraordinary thing to say with only one fit senior striker available.
    What’s an extraordinary thing to say?
  • Options
    I mean what DH said. He could have said it's gonna be tough until the squad is complete by the end of the month.
  • Options
    I mean what DH said. He could have said it's gonna be tough until the squad is complete by the end of the month.
    That would be a much more extraordinary thing to say ffs
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    That would be a much more extraordinary thing to say ffs
    On reflection, I guess so. Time I stopped posting for a while.
  • Options
    Ready to go :(
  • Options
    Gonna be very difficult until leaburn comes back or we bring in another forward plus 2 defenders/full backs... Never gonna happen. So we hope. Might ride our luck but no I don't think we are "ready". However negative can rub off so let's just say, yeah we're ready and we're gonna piss this league. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Every year this sound bite comes out from the whoever Manager at the start of a new season and rarely does it ring true! I’m mindful of the woeful first half performance against Derby last year, even though we eventually won, we looked far from ready!

Of course I hope this year will be different, I do have faith in Dean.

I think what I’m hoping to see is, commitment from the players in all games, not just against the better teams, a good style of play, tighter defence, better at set pieces both for and against. And a way to unlock defences when a team ‘parks the bus’ at The Valley.

In particular I’m hoping to see less defeats / draws against the lesser teams, particularly at home. Naturally, we have no divine right to beat anyone but we do seem to slip up against those who we might expect to beat more often than not!

What are you hoping to see, that may give rise that this season, may just be different from others and raises our optimism rather than scepticism?

Let’s hope the Orient game is the start of a new dawn.

A fully fit (i.e able to actually play in a game) squad would be nice, I won't be holding my breath. 

Of course Aneke is excused from this.  
  • Options
    Gonna be very difficult until leaburn comes back or we bring in another forward plus 2 defenders/full backs... Never gonna happen. So we hope. Might ride our luck but no I don't think we are "ready". However negative can rub off so let's just say, yeah we're ready and we're gonna piss this league. 
    "Ready to start" is not the same as "Ready for the whole season" though. The former we probably do (just barely) qualify for, the latter we don't.

I think Holden would be considerably less sanguine (certainly behind closed doors) if he was expecting this to be the same squad at the end of the window. But I don't think he is, and I know that I'm not.
  • Options
    Think he means the bags were packed in advance in case it didn’t work out. 
    Seems it’s not working out. 
    Nice fella though. 
  • Options
    Just more sound bites for the uninformed to gobble up. 

We weren't ready on Aug 5th & I doubt we will be on Sept 2nd either. 

One day we might get a manager who says what he really thinks, not what they think fans want to hear & what owners tell them say.
    The latter has nailed it, there is an invisible hand up Holden's bum with interviews.

Methven used to go to Sunderland boozers, he could not do that last season so he sent Holden around The Oak.

This is not a criticism of Holden btw.
  • Options
    edited August 2023

One day we might get a manager who says what he really thinks, not what they think fans want to hear & what owners tell them say.
    The latter has nailed it, there is an invisible hand up Holden's bum with interviews.

Methven used to go to Sunderland boozers, he could not do that last season so he sent Holden around The Oak.

AKA Golfie was right. I know it sucks. But he was. 

some apologies are in order (they won't happen though)
  • Options

@golfaddick has seen it all before.  I have always made him right.
  • Options
    Holden does say a lot of stuff that he thinks will please fans but i think there was some truth in us being ready because for 60 minutes against millwall - the only pre season game I saw - we looked very fit and far stronger than them - i think it’s the lack of ready made additions since that has undermined things but he can’t really say that 
  • Options

Suicidal for any manager go say exactly what he thinks in a situation like Holden’s, unfortunately. 
    We have to read between the lines, as ever. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    His got to say the all the right things 
    If he come out & said the truth 
     ST sales would have dropped 
    Players & us fans would have lost confidence before we kicked a ball
    I am not a Holden fan but he is up against it with the lack of financial backing & when we get Players back fit we will be far better but unless he sorts out our defending we will never be ready 

• Options

'Asked about pulling the South Londoners out of their current slump, Holden said: “I’ve gone and done the top coaching licenses and I’ve gone and spoken to people all over the world in different industries away from football – there is no magic formula for any of it. You have to work hard and front up – address where we are at the moment.

“It’s not been a pretty 10-11 days since Newport, has it? Off the back of a fantastic start against Leyton Orient. The only thing I know to do is get off the canvas.

“We’re all a bit disappointed and flat but you wake up on Sunday and your first thought is (blows his lips) then you get out of bed, roll your sleeves up and go to work again.”

Sounds like he has not a clue

• Options
    He is what we got & only time will tell 
    How good he is or isn’t 
    & all the time his our manager 
    Even though its hard to watch at times on the terraces we have got to get behind him & the team I am a firm believer that the 12th man counts 
    I come on here ranting & raving after games about how bad I think he is but at games I never slag him or our team off
    as it does filter through & it doesn't help one bit 

• Options
    Morgan Freedman's voice

"They were not ready to go"
  • Options
    "Off the back of a fantastic win against Orient" - fantastic really? I know he has to manage expectations but I'm fast regretting shelling out for a season ticket already.
  • Options
    We’re ready to go ….. down 
  • Options

@golfaddick has seen it all before.  I have always made him right.
    Yeah. Like the time he said Robert Lee never scored more than one goal at The Valley.