Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gillingham vs Charlton Athletic Pre-Season Friendly 18/7/2023 Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    Johnny Williams > Jack Payne so far. 
  • Options
    CBT's decision making is still that of a rabbit in headlights
  • Options
    CBT should have slipped Campbell in, instead loses the ball and releases Gillingham to attack - Elerewe blocks off the line and Gills waste the attack. 
  • Options
    I think it is fair to say that none of this current back three will be starting against Orient.
  • Options
    CAFCDAZ said:
    glad i'm not alone, i do not understand the fanfare for him from some supporters, i personally think he is lazy, a good game every one in 6, the 7th he'll get injured for 3-4 weeks
    He's like many fast players... He's too quick for his brain
  • Options
    i wasn't far off with that either; 
  • Options
    CAFCDAZ said:
    glad i'm not alone, i do not understand the fanfare for him from some supporters, i personally think he is lazy, a good game every one in 6, the 7th he'll get injured for 3-4 weeks
    Disagree It's more 1 in 3 then the 7th he gets injured. He's not lazy, his decisions are all too often wrong. If they were right more often, with his pace and ability on the ball - he wouldn't have ended up with us. 

In other news Gills strikers are shite. 
  • Options
    Surprised Holden isn’t playing May in the same half as Fraser. Those two need to strike up an understanding. 
  • Options
    Payne having a mare

Nichols looks good for them up top.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2023
    Payne really not looking as sharp. The Yoof in midfield doing much more with the ball.  He's fit and busy but he's a butter knife today. 
  • Options
    Good cross from CBT, Asiimwe couldn't get there.
  • Options
    I've been about the best player on the pitch, which says a lot about the standard 1st half...
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Payne really not looking as sharp. The Yoof in midfield doing much more with the ball.  He's fit and busy but he's a butter knife today. 
    His corner proves the point. 
  • Options
    I’m a Jack Payne believer but he’s been rank today…
  • Options
    HT..1-1 just about fair on the first half display, but we are a bit slow in some defensive stuff, impressed with Campbell, Asiimwe, Anderson, showing some mature play, Mitchell doing well, looking forward to second half...

• Options
    I expect rusty but Payne has just been pure shit
  • Options
    AMB will lose his spot because his kicking is awful.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    I dont think either Goalkeeper has the No. 1 spot tied down as things stand.

But hope the one who is better at keeping the ball out the net is the one chosen
  • Options
    Not impressed by that performance. We got a goal because we caught them cold in the first two minutes. Otherwise they have been on top.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We look very average! 
    Worrying really 

BUT
    we still have hector, jones and Camara to come in! Add 2 more strikers, and one or two wingers and we can challenge - but we look far off it currently 
  • Options
    All in all, it's a pre-season game which means very little and we have half a side of youth players. 

We definitely need Payne, Mitchell and Elerewe out of the starting line up, maybe Brewer too - poor kicking and indecision. 

Kind of feels like too many don't trust their younger counterparts. 
  • Options
    We look very average! 
    Worrying really 

BUT
    we still have hector, jones and Camara to come in! Add 2 more strikers, and one or two wingers and we can challenge - but we look far off it currently 
    It's a pre season friendly. Payne needs to find consistency, but he's continued to break up play a bit even if his passing has been awful and he's way too deep. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Johnny Williams > Jack Payne so far. 
    Jonny Williams > Jack Payne.
  • Options
    msomerton said:
    Not impressed by that performance. We got a goal because we caught them cold in the first two minutes. Otherwise they have been on top.
    They certainly seem better organised, but they have also started the majority of their first 11 from what I can work out. 

I know we're only missing a few key players but it is noticeable. 
  • Options
    We’ve looked so much better this preseason with Fraser on the pitch, so will be interesting to see if that continues second half.

Still not sold on us playing 3-5-2, but maybe we will look better playing it when we have the right players in place. 

• Options
    Was a pretty poor half. I still don't trust a man who plays CBT at left wing back.

The backline I experience was quite glaring. Allowing a Gillingham forward to control a hoofed ball with their feet and turn unchallenged. Hopefully they will learn quickly as that can't be allowed to happen in league football, and shouldn't really happen in a friendly.

Anderson impressed. Our ability to play this formation to a level that will get us out this league still a big question mark as we eat into preseason.
  • Options
    We’ve looked so much better this preseason with Fraser on the pitch, so will be interesting to see if that continues second half.

Still not sold on us playing 3-5-2, but maybe we will look better playing it when we have the right players in place. 

Think that’s very much the case. Mix and match at this stage is fine if by time we play Aberdeen Holden knows who’s best where.

Hector organising that back 3 is critical.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Our sub bench doesn't look fantastic... Same time it's not bad. Just not good. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    CAFCDAZ said:
    Disagree It's more 1 in 3 then the 7th he gets injured. He's not lazy, his decisions are all too often wrong. If they were right more often, with his pace and ability on the ball - he wouldn't have ended up with us. 

In other news Gills strikers are shite. 
    oh he is lazy, watch him tracking back...oh no you can't as he never does! let's remember he is playing LWB, the bloke never tracks in, doesn't like to challenge, yes his quick, but so is Usain bolt, but i don't want him playing LWB if he can't do the hard yards and the defensive side of the game. I've never been a fan, i prefer a hard working type of player who plays for the team, not himself and CBT just give's me those vibes. 

on a positive note, the 4 youngsters Asiimwe, Mitchell and Deji and Anderson have looked good, Payne has been pony, May has been busy and so far looks fantastic business at 250k. I genuinely hope he keeps this up all season.