Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gillingham vs Charlton Athletic Pre-Season Friendly 18/7/2023 Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    We still try this passing out from the back and individually our players skill levels not up to it.
    Just look at how many passes go straight to Gillingham players. 
    Also if our play has the ball he is not good enough to beat the man closing him down.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    It's clear we need a big partner for May. I like how we're set up but we've no aerial threat.

I assume we might need to adapt until Miles Leaburn is fit unless we are going to get another central striker in who is a six footer.
  • Options
    Very suspect at the back... Gillingham's finishing has seriously let them down, it should be 1-1 - But they clearly cant hit the side of a Caravan let alone a goal
  • Options
    Lapslie misses a great chance to level for Gills, we have slipped up a bit with our defensive duties
  • Options
    That was a pen.
  • Options
    Sloppy last 10 minutes, lack of experience in the backline showing 
  • Options
    That was a pen.
    If he had gone down maybe...
  • Options
    Brewer looking like a non league player one minute then saves like a championship one the next. 
  • Options
    Better move that. 
  • Options
    Ooo should be 2-0 despite it being primarily Gills now.

Good save to deny Campbell but we have a corner
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    May, Asiimwe and Campbell combine well there, Campbell needs to lace it there really,
  • Options
    Lapslie misses a great chance to level for Gills, we have slipped up a bit with our defensive duties

Did Charlie Methven and Jim Rodwell start chanting "Charlton Reject"?
  • Options
    I have not seen enough of Asiimwe defending to feel like he's ready to play regularly in the league, but the boy has a good touch and he is very cool in the attacking third. I don't know if this season will be his big breakout or if it will be next season, but he looks like he's going to be a regular in our side. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    It's clear we need a big partner for May. I like how we're set up but we've no aerial threat.

I assume we might need to adapt until Miles Leaburn is fit unless we are going to get another central striker in who is a six footer.
    Without a pre season may be a good while before Leaburn can start.
  • Options
    Another Gills corner, equaliser a matter of time unless we tighten up 
  • Options
    Half a team of young uns. 

Really think we need another 4-5 permanent additions. Hopefully Isted gets second half in sticks. 
  • Options
    Eye Sted or Ih Sted?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Eye Sted or Ih Sted?
    They've been saying "eye sted" in pre season so far
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    1-1... Lovely free kick, AMB couldnt do much

Deserved equaliser

Bit of a needless foul from Dobson on the edge of the area, as the pass to Lapslie had seen him gone wide of the area
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    What a decent free kick. Brewer should probably have been over a bit further. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was looking at that wall and thought that free kick was always going to go in for some reason. 
  • Options
    Free kick and and equaliser for Gills 1-1...on the cards for some time, come on Reds sharpen up

• Options
    Keeper should ALWAYS stand in the middle. 
  • Options
    Panutche Camara sitting in the director’s box.
    Of course. One of SE7's new investors.

• Options
    edited July 2023
    Need Payne to push up more, not involved enough defensively. Do we have a more defensive option? 
  • Options
    Decent enough freekick, but hardly a rocket. AMB looked very flat footed there. TBH we have looked pretty ropey defensively so no surprise that it's all square.
  • Options
    Gillingham on top because they are making more 25 to 30 yard passes forward from the half way line and our guys seem always to be out of position surprised by the long ball.
  • Options
    If we start the season with only May as a striker, I can't see us making much impact on League One defences.
  • Options
    Ref mistaken here. Gives a GK for a blatant corner. 
  • Options
    Referee has just given a Goal Kick to Gillingham when their player clearly just cleared the ball off Campbell.

Good to see the referees will be putting in some strong performances this coming season