Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Welling United vs Charlton Athletic Pre-Season Friendly 1/7/2023 Match (& post p6) Thread

Comments

• RC_CAFC said:
    nagAddick said:
    How did Mcgrandles play ?
    Like I want to see more of him. Strong in the tackle and covered a lot of ground.
    In the sense that he impressed you... Or you literally want to see more of him over Pre-Season before deciding on whether he can be an asset this season?
  • Looks like we played some nice football,  last goal especially. 
  • Went with some cafc mates and our kids plus a couple of non cafc mates and had a great day. 

Typical first pre season game against a poor Welling side. I really really like the look of Mitchell he's a proper footballer. Number 23 (not sure of his name looked lively as well)

My non cafc mates were raving about Ness and couldn't believe he's as young as he is.

DJ still can't take corners
  • DJ pee rolling corners were embarrassing. I'm surprised they didn't have the wit to realise a left footer would have more space to whip them in.
  • I think we need at least two reliable set piece takers.
    Henry and Fraser presumably, but I noticed Payne took a decent corner or two yesterday, he is not exactly a player to attack crosses anyway.
  • cfgs said:
    Stuart Pearce tried to run off a broken leg once, when he was playing for Wet Spam.
    & of course Bert Trautmann who broke his neck in the 1958 cup final but played on until the end of the game.
    Trautmann playing on was incredible, 1956 cup final though. 
    I stand corrected  :D
  • Fraser looked in the mood.
    Did he have a key hand in the first three goals? 
  • RC_CAFC said:
    nagAddick said:
    How did Mcgrandles play ?
    Like I want to see more of him. Strong in the tackle and covered a lot of ground.
    In the sense that he impressed you... Or you literally want to see more of him over Pre-Season before deciding on whether he can be an asset this season?
    Bit of both. Thought he looked good but I’d have panicked if he hadn’t and I would like to see how he goes over the next few pre season games. 
  • Was it 3-4-3/5-2-3 in both halves ?
  • nagAddick said:
    Was it 3-4-3/5-2-3 in both halves ?
    Who knows?

The beers were in full flow though!
  • Sponsored links:

• nagAddick said:
    Was it 3-4-3/5-2-3 in both halves ?
    Yes it was. Would maybe describe it as more a 3-4-2-1. Campbell and DJ were swapping over quite a lot as the 2 in behind Leaburn first half 
  • Never see the game it's expected but still a decent result 
    Let's hope we can build on it & you never know we might even beat Millwall now that would be good here's hopping  B)

• Yeh!  Promotion please lads... AND sharpish!
  • A very early runout, so performances don't really mean anything. Ditto next week which is Dartford's first match, so we may be ahead of them in terms of fitness, which will make a difference.
  • edited July 2023
    A game like Saturday was about fitness and not getting injuries. Yes, the second part fell down a bit but hey ho. I don't know Holden's approach but I think the last pre-season friendly should be treated as the first league game in terms of selection and prep.
  • Take a behind-the-scenes look at Saturday's 4-0 triumph at Welling United
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp3C5iWbbgE
  • Only other thing of note from Saturday was Isted looked very small for a keeper 
  • Only other thing of note from Saturday was Isted looked very small for a keeper 
    Heightist 😉. Think I read somewhere he’s no a giant about 6ft I thought.
    Maybe but he came for a cross and looked very much in control.
  • Sponsored links:

• RedChaser said:
    Only other thing of note from Saturday was Isted looked very small for a keeper 
    Heightist 😉. Think I read somewhere he’s no a giant about 6ft I thought.
    If he’s 6ft then so am I…
  • Hopefully he makes up for it in agility. He did look smaller than AMB.
  • So from what I can work out there will be a block of flats along the road, and the ground will be behind that? 

I notice there's no pictures of the park end of the ground, I wonder if it's just 3 sided, or just a small terrace along that end? 

Won't need to worry about a stray ball hitting a 486 now, instead it'll be clattering into someone's kitchen window
  • Feels and reads like an April fool's joke but isnt!
  • It’s just 3 sided @sam3110

I’m surprised how positive Welling fans seem to have taken it, which I think it’s probably down to desperation for something positive to happen to them. But personally I think it looks awful. 

There is very little street parking round there with all the opposing roads being terrace with street parking issues. Sticking 100+ flats there with zero parking, with addition a football ground with zero parking, seems like madness. Lots of commercial units built into it, not sure what of value can go there position wise out of the high street without parking. And 3 sided grounds are just awful. Suspect the standing behind road end underneath the flats will need to be very shallow as well. 

Can see local residents kicking up a huge fuss and don’t blame them. There’s another 50 flat proposal also in for planning 100 yards up the road on the corner of Danson Lane. 

• I’m assuming that there is no fan accommodation at the Danson Park end because the pitch will have to be shifted that way to allow for the flats at the PVR end to be built. Everything effectively shifted southwards towards the park.
  • I highly doubt it will get planning permission. 

• @AFKABartram, in reference to the 50 flat proposal at Danson. Is that the site that's been closed off by the traffic lights, on the corner?