Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Welling United vs Charlton Athletic Pre-Season Friendly 1/7/2023 Match (& post p6) Thread

Comments

• cfgs said:
    Stuart Pearce tried to run off a broken leg once, when he was playing for Wet Spam.
    Do you mean West Ham? 
  • edited July 2023
    Nice afternoon, spent most of the game chatting with @Plaaayer @EastTerrace @guinnessaddick and @TelMc32 (and getting verbally roasted by my lad). Never read anything into performances at these games, it’s just a run out. Ness and Mitchell both look like they’ve filled out a bit, really looking forward to seeing their progress this year. 

Couldn't really understand what happened with the crowd, it felt barely half empty in a lot of places (not complaining, made it east to walk around). Suspect one way or another a number of people with tickets never made it into the ground 
  • Valley11 said:
    Valley11 said:
    Great interview with Dean Holden on Charlton TV. The last answer in particular is encouraging.

Paraphrasing but ‘we want players who can handle playing for a big historical club like Charlton and can drag it out of this division, next few weeks are exciting.’ 

Can’t help but be impressed by the bloke.

Hasn't take much to win you over has it.

Talks a lot of guff. When actions match deeds I'll be impressed. 
    Agree, results from now are everything but a strong second half of last season, a general decency about him and a sense he has the respect of the players has me hopeful.
    My point though was that he’s a decent human. And after the last few years of dubious characters infiltrating the club, I’ll take that for now. 
    Considering you have been dug out but the usual doom and gloom merchant……well played! 
  • Only thing I took from today (apart from about 10 beers) is that Mitchell is a proper player and would be wasted in the back 4
    From what I've seen of him, I agree. The role Morgan played last season would suit him perfectly at the moment, as he's so classy on the ball.
  • The most important thing today was to get minutes and not get any injuries !
    Also win by a few goals if possible.
    The reason I'm not convinced Miles Leaburn will score 20 goals, is will he play more than 35 games because of injuries ? I don't mean the injury today necessarily but he got a couple of knocks last season and it will be no different this time. We need another forward to share the load in the central striker area. 
    The elephant in the room is Chuks Aneke and I guess any minutes are a bonus and is really sad as physically he's is strong.
  • Sponsored links:

• Reading Dean’s post match comments, it seems A&Eke picked up yet another injury before pre-season training even started 🤦🏻‍♀️ I wonder how many games he’s going to miss this season? 
  • If the injury was serious he would not be walking at all .. .. 
    Rubbish……have you never heard of ligament injuries?
  • cfgs said:
    Stuart Pearce tried to run off a broken leg once, when he was playing for Wet Spam.
    Didn't Johnny Robinson come on as sub in the play off final while still recovering from a broken leg ?
  • Reading Dean’s post match comments, it seems A&Eke picked up yet another injury before pre-season training even started 🤦🏻‍♀️ I wonder how many games he’s going to miss this season? 
    Err 44 ? (at least)
  • cfgs said:
    & of course Bert Trautmann who broke his neck in the 1958 cup final but played on until the end of the game.
  • If the injury was serious he would not be walking at all .. .. 
    if he had a displaced fracture he wouldn’t be walking, but other than that being put in a boot until imaging is done would be normal. Let’s hope it just soft tissue damage which won’t keep him out long, but it certainly could be more serious.
  • Payne is such an odd player. From ridiculous to (near) sublime, then tackles himself again.
  • Sponsored links:

• Valley11 said:
    Great interview with Dean Holden on Charlton TV. The last answer in particular is encouraging.

Paraphrasing but ‘we want players who can handle playing for a big historical club like Charlton and can drag it out of this division, next few weeks are exciting.’ 

Can’t help but be impressed by the bloke.

Hasn't take much to win you over has it.

Talks a lot of guff. When actions match deeds I'll be impressed. 
    'Talks a lot of guff' you say. Love the irony.
  • How did Mcgrandles play ?
  • My drunken Post match assessment is the kids played well uo the addicks 
  • Also I let my 5 year old run on the pitch cos he wanted a photo with CBT 
  • cfgs said:
    & of course Bert Trautmann who broke his neck in the 1958 cup final but played on until the end of the game.
    Trautmann playing on was incredible, 1956 cup final though. 
  • Solidgone said:

Belles huîtres sounds nice but I wouldn’t want gross ones.

Although 6 gross of moules for €3,50 sounds a bargain. 
  • Nice afternoon, spent most of the game chatting with @Plaaayer @EastTerrace @guinnessaddick and @TelMc32 (and getting verbally roasted by my lad). Never read anything into performances at these games, it’s just a run out. Ness and Mitchell both look like they’ve filled out a bit, really looking forward to seeing their progress this year. 

Couldn't really understand what happened with the crowd, it felt barely half empty in a lot of places (not complaining, made it east to walk around). Suspect one way or another a number of people with tickets never made it into the ground 
    True enough i remember thinking Yassin Moutikil (spelt wrong cant be bothered to search correct spelling) would be a PL player one day after a preseason match
  • Also I let my 5 year old run on the pitch cos he wanted a photo with CBT 
    Did CBT do everything perfect then press the wrong button at the end ?
  • nagAddick said:
    How did Mcgrandles play ?
    Like I want to see more of him. Strong in the tackle and covered a lot of ground.