Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is the future of Charlton TV safe?

Comments

• Options
    edited April 28
    The business model for Charlton TV will be based on UK viewers using VPNs, and even then it may not make sense with the cost of production. If the UK demand falls because of Sky, the production is likely to be pared right back and tbh honest I wouldn’t blame the club for doing that.

It’s a Rolls Royce product atm and has a value beyond the immediate balance sheet, but it won’t stack up on genuinely overseas revenue.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    There will likely be a replay of the entire broadcast available on Charlton TV by tomorrow or Monday.
    Yes, they said there would be "extended highlights" of the game available - I mean, fug that! - and then after that the whole broadcast would be available.

I love Charlton. But no amount of money would persuade me to sit and watch all of that again.

That said, Curbs telling the story about how Arsene Wenger didn't go to his own room for a drink after we beat Arsenal 4-2 at Highbury and instead left it to Pat Rice to front it up. And then Curbs found him sat on his own in the changing rooms while he was looking for the bog and essentially told him to fcuk off when he tried to blurt out some sort of excuse. Not heard that one before.
    As a (UK) Charlton TV subscriber, when I've been at games and haven't seen the match production, I often watch the full repeat, but skipping the game itself, as the analysis and general banter are so good.
  • Options
    Tbh if you are already paying for Sky and a Charlton game is being televised by Sky, I can't anticipate too many people wanting to pay £10 and watch it on Charlton TV.
    You could presumably still watch the pre match talk (if there is any) on Charlton you tube for free.
  • Options
    I haven’t read up on the sky deal.

how many times will we be on sky next year, considering this year it was 0!!! Will all non Saturday 3pm kick offs be on the red button?
  • Options
    Tbh if you are already paying for Sky and a Charlton game is being televised by Sky, I can't anticipate too many people wanting to pay £10 and watch it on Charlton TV.
    You could presumably still watch the pre match talk (if there is any) on Charlton you tube for free.
    Not sure how many supporters pay for a Sky TV package - I don’t for example. 

Might be an interesting analysis for the club on how many viewers of the club product also have an active Sky subscription?

would the camera work be different for the in-house product or is it a shared feed / type arrangement I wonder?
  • Options
    Not sure how many supporters pay for a Sky TV package - I don’t for example. 

Might be an interesting analysis for the club on how many viewers of the club product also have an active Sky subscription?

would the camera work be different for the in-house product or is it a shared feed / type arrangement I wonder?
    Way back in our premier league days I believe the club owned the product and had to provide 4/5 camera coverage which Sky had first coverage rights for a few hours.  After a couple of days the club had the sole rights.  Since the ITV or Sky highlights use the EFL pictures I expect the same applies.  We know that next season the Sky matches will be a minimum of 4 cameras so I expect ‘Charlton TV’ to use the same.  What happens for non-Sky matches is anyone’s guess.
  • Options

How you can access some of our games in the UK next season
  • Options
    What mad kick off times is everyone going to have to suffer next season? 
  • Options
    Poxy sky TV.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So guaranteed our first match of the season will not kick off at 3pm on Saturday. 
  • Options
    Every single League One and League Two team will be featured live on Sky at least 20 times next season.

Matches will be broadcast live across existing Sky Sports channels or on the brand new Sky Sports+ (more on that below!)

This will effectively replace the EFL's domestic streaming option provided via iFollow and club streaming services.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/32461/13130980/efl-on-sky-sports-how-to-watch-your-championship-league-one-or-league-two-team-live-next-season

• Options
    So guaranteed our first match of the season will not kick off at 3pm on Saturday. 
    One of the reasons I'm holding off buying a season ticket.  Does anyone know the potential ko times?
  • Options
    One of the reasons I'm holding off buying a season ticket.  Does anyone know the potential ko times?
    Friday nights, Saturday and Sunday Lunchtimes
  • Options
    Does anyone know how much lower our TV revenue would be without this deal? I'd prefer 3pm, definitely, but there's a reason for all this. 
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    Friday nights, Saturday and Sunday Lunchtimes
    Each full weekend of EFL fixtures will see 10 live matches shown - including three Championship, two League One and two League Two matches all broadcast live at 12:30pm on Saturdays.
    https://www.skysports.com/football/news/32461/13130980/efl-on-sky-sports-how-to-watch-your-championship-league-one-or-league-two-team-live-next-season
  • Options
    Will the club be able steam a full replay of a game the following week as they do now on Charlton TV. I  enjoy watching a full replay on a midweek afternoon  especially of the away games. Makes the £60 annual subscription to Charlton TV worth while.
  • Options
    edited May 8
    With every midweek and bank holiday game going on this Sky service, here are the games that we know would’ve been televised in the last 12 months if the deal was already in effect:

Wigan (H) (midweek)
    Stevenage (H) (bank holiday)
    Exeter (A) (bank holiday)
    Cheltenham (A) (midweek)
    Derby (A) (midweek)
    Lincoln (H) (midweek)
    Northampton (H) (midweek)
    Oxford (H) (bank holiday)
    Orient (A) (bank holiday)
    Cheltenham (H) (midweek)
    Wigan (A) (midweek)
    Lincoln (A) (midweek)
    Exeter (H) (midweek)
    Bristol Rovers (A) (midweek)

With both opening and closing weekend games also being guaranteed to move, that’s 16 TV games.

Means a minimum of four additional games that’s would’ve been moved.

Suspect with Sky saying all games up until January will be announced in advance, I’d expect to see an announcement of 2-3 Saturday lunch time kick offs before Christmas. Then if we’re doing well the second half of the season, a team might end up being double or triple that number.

• Options
    If is at home I will attend.
    All the away matches are the problem.
    I can’t get to them all, don’t have or want to subscribe to blimmin sky.
    I was content previously that my ten quid (theoretically at least) went to Charlton.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:
    I was content previously that my ten quid (theoretically at least) went to Charlton.
    I imagine the cost of having the sports package could be hitting £100 a month.  A lot of money.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I imagine the cost of having the sports package could be hitting £100 a month.  A lot of money.
    available on a NOW TV day pass.  No idea how much that costs.

Maybe I'm a "legacy" fan and privileged to live close enough to the Valley to attend home games but I feel this is another nail in the coffin of the "live experience" (sic) of actually going to games.

The short term financial benefits from Sky will be small and won't give us any advantage over other clubs at the same level but constant 12.30pm kicks off will put a lot of people off and hit visiting fan numbers so more lost income.

The revolution WILL be televised..... on Sky for fee and at any time they choose. 
    I'd not be surprised to see a cut in attendances next season.
  • Options
    Don't think many games will actually move. @Callumcafc's list doesn't factor in that Sky can show 3pm games during international breaks too. I appreciate I'm unusual as someone who lives in the UK but not near The Valley but this is quite helpful for me personally. I'm still not particularly pleased with it on a macro level but it's nice I can watch more games now

• Options
    fenaddick said:
    Don't think many games will actually move. @Callumcafc's list doesn't factor in that Sky can show 3pm games during international breaks too. I appreciate I'm unusual as someone who lives in the UK but not near The Valley but this is quite helpful for me personally. I'm still not particularly pleased with it on a macro level but it's nice I can watch more games now

We had no games played during the international break last season 
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    fenaddick said:

But 2 (3 if you include Fiorini) of the internationals have left so we probably will have games in the international break this season. 
  • Options
    fenaddick said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    fenaddick said:

But 2 (3 if you include Fiorini) of the internationals have left so we probably will have games in the international break this season. 
    Kanu
    Asiimwe
    Anderson 

At this stage 
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    fenaddick said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    fenaddick said:

Kanu
    Asiimwe
    Anderson 

At this stage 
    And AMB
  • Options
    Anderson the only one of those who could be described as a "regular" though and even he wasn't called up for every break