Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is the future of Charlton TV safe?

Comments

• Options
    Thank you Clive. The information is a bit confusing, does that mean we have to subscribe to sky sports now?
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Thank you Clive. The information is a bit confusing, does that mean we have to subscribe to sky sports now?

Domestic Streaming

From the 2024/25 season onward, this agreement makes more matches available to stream and will effectively replace the current Sky Sports EFL red button coverage and the EFL’s domestic streaming option provided via iFollow and club streaming services. Domestic streaming audio services will remain alongside existing audio-visual arrangements for international audiences via iFollow and club streaming services.  

• Options
    se9addick said:
    Can Charlton matches be streamed abroad?  I am under the impression that Charlton TV cannot be reached worldwide.
    It can (actually, that’s the main purpose of Charlton TV). There are restrictions if the match is being shown on local TV, but can’t imagine that will happen very often in Brazil! I would guess you should be able to watch most if not all Charlton matches where you are. Whether that’s a good thing or not is debatable!

Thanks for that mate.  I had not worded the post well, I was meant to say that I thought that there were some countries where it was not available.
    I'll be able to have my breakfast whilst watching the games.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Can Charlton matches be streamed abroad?  I am under the impression that Charlton TV cannot be reached worldwide.
    You could buy a stream and share your log in details with your pub landlord so everyone can watch. C'mon, let's show the Brazilians how to play football!

You may jest, but the majority of the top league teams over here would only be championship standard.
  • Options
    Just wondering , can u watch live games on Charlton TV via a phone or is it only computers/laptops ?
  • Options
    nagAddick said:
    Just wondering , can u watch live games on Charlton TV via a phone or is it only computers/laptops ?
    Yes I stream it on my phone and broadcast it to my TV. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    It can (actually, that’s the main purpose of Charlton TV). There are restrictions if the match is being shown on local TV, but can’t imagine that will happen very often in Brazil! I would guess you should be able to watch most if not all Charlton matches where you are. Whether that’s a good thing or not is debatable!

Thanks for that mate.  I had not worded the post well, I was meant to say that I thought that there were some countries where it was not available.
    I'll be able to have my breakfast whilst watching the games.
    As I recall, last year in Portugal one broadcaster had the EFL rights and showed literally one or two matches throughout the entire season. Because of this we fell foul of the Sky Sports rule. Up to now nobody has the rights for Portugal, so I am hoping that we should get all the games? 

The EFL rights holders in Israel is a channel called... Charlton.  :o     
  • Options
    Bit confused, will the 2024 Summer friendlies be available to watch live with Charlton TV or somewhere else, thanks.
  • Options
    They’ll probably be on Charlton TV.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scotty said at the end "we will be fine" ... hope he's right
  • Options
    Seems to me as if that was it in its current format for Charlton TV….shame 
  • Options
    Interesting closing statement from Scottie today.

He said overseas viewers will be able to carry on watching games on Charlton TV next season. But the actual format still to be decided.

Curbs joked that him, Scott and Brownie were on free transfers. And by the way they laughed at that, I'm not sure he was joking.

So my guess is that you will get coverage of games next year, but not the full coverage with Scott, Brownie and Curbs that has made it so pleasurable watching.

Hope I'm wrong on that last point.
  • Options
    Judging by scotty being visibly upset it seems that’s that
    And his "Once an Addick always an Addick " comment
    This
  • Options
    Scotty also thanked everyone for tuning in over the last 3 1/2 yrs. My guess is, coupled with the free transfer comment, and him being visibly upset, that CATV as we know it has been dumped. That's such a pity, for the last season, during my enforced absence from attending home games, its been a 'lifeline'
    I'm also dumping Sky as I can't afford it anymore, so I'm left with the crap highlights programme on ITV!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scotty also thanked everyone for tuning in over the last 3 1/2 yrs. My guess is, coupled with the free transfer comment, and him being visibly upset, that CATV as we know it has been dumped. That's such a pity, for the last season, during my enforced absence from attending home games, its been a 'lifeline'
    I'm also dumping Sky as I can't afford it anymore, so I'm left with the crap highlights programme on ITV!
    You still have 3 possible options.
    Get a dodgy firestick and pay about £50pa. Someone on here knows how to set you up.
    Buy Charlton TV pass and watch on the Opera browser with a VPN.
    Buy a Now TV pass and watch on Sky if it's being shown.
  • Options
    I've got the second option currently, but it's the program I enjoy. If it's going back to the one camera i-follow format, it's a waste of a £10, but thanks for the ideas mate!
  • Options
    edited April 27
    My ball park estimate is it costs them maybe in the region of £5k a match. 

The question is would we sell many international passes legitimate or otherwise to continue to partially offset that cost? 

AND do the club legitimately continue knowing they are likely selling to UK based viewers? 

I imagine they could experiment retaining it but withdrawing the free pre show option if they can justify turning a blind eye to VPN usage. 

It’s a very good advertising platform I suggest to attract people back in person especially if the football team improves. 
  • Options
    I imagine Sky/EFL will be much stricter on VPN use in the UK than before, seeing that Sky presumably have coughed up more money to be the exclusive place to watch live EFL matches in the UK.
  • Options
    edited April 27
    I imagine Sky/EFL will be much stricter on VPN use in the UK than before, seeing that Sky presumably have coughed up more money to be the exclusive place to watch live EFL matches in the UK.
    But sre Sky going to be controlling the CharltonTV feed? 

Sky are a proper ball ache at VPN tracking on their own stuff. Difficult to use VPN to pretend to be in the UK for sky sports when on holiday, access to NOW is sporadic. Maybe they have agreed with all the clubs that their 'shield' sits over the top of all club content. That would suck.

There must be enough genuinely overseas and VPN overseas users of CharltonTV that it turns a small profit with the current fan base. 

Any new fans may be less into Charlton but if the statement that we want an active and engaged supporter base is to be believed, these guys are the best option to keep what we have and educate the new. 

If there is any viable way to keep then i would. Possibly the only positive thing Sandgaard did. 
  • Options
    Is there any video of the final few minutes of the show anywhere? Would like to watch

Gutted this is going, have loved watching those lads 
  • Options
    (Although I’d rather be loving watching us on the pitch so I’m desperate to go to the games rather than watch them on my laptop out of duty )
  • Options
    edited April 27
    There will likely be a replay of the entire broadcast available on Charlton TV by tomorrow or Monday.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    There will likely be a replay of the entire broadcast available on Charlton TV by tomorrow or Monday.
    Yes, they said there would be "extended highlights" of the game available - I mean, fug that! - and then after that the whole broadcast would be available.

I love Charlton. But no amount of money would persuade me to sit and watch all of that again.

That said, Curbs telling the story about how Arsene Wenger didn't go to his own room for a drink after we beat Arsenal 4-2 at Highbury and instead left it to Pat Rice to front it up. And then Curbs found him sat on his own in the changing rooms while he was looking for the bog and essentially told him to fcuk off when he tried to blurt out some sort of excuse. Not heard that one before.
    Heavy weekend…