Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cafc in the Seventies

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2023
    This may have been in the 70s but was definitely in the 80s. There used to be an overweight, middle-aged, unshaven man who sat in the middle of the middle of the Covered End and would call out at every match 'Fulham reject', 'Blackburn reject', 'Reading reject'...or whichever club, the targeted player once played for. He always got laughs from the fans for that or whatever else he boomed out. Does anyone know who he was?
    Remember the Reject Man well from the 80s. He used to flick through the programme notes to find out the clubs the opposition keeper had played for and reel them off. I met up with an old school mate at the Valley at the end of last season. He lives in Bournemouth now and hadn't been for years. We reminisced about our group from Wilmington Grammar School who used to get the 96 bus to Woolwich and sit in the Covered End. Reject Man was a figure neither of us had forgotten.

I sit in Covered End Upper and the only character who stands out like Reject Man now is the old guy, who makes everyone stand up as he takes the longest possible route from his seat for his half time piss. I think he even had a thread to himself some time back.
  • Options
    edited June 2023

Does anyone on here remember this or was at the game? A mate of mine sent me this photo today
    Thought paddy McCarthey was much later
  • Options

Does anyone on here remember this or was at the game? A mate of mine sent me this photo today
    https://youtu.be/6aa5CBNYtUA
  • Options

Wrong thread mate. You want CAFC in the sixties.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    This may have been in the 70s but was definitely in the 80s. There used to be an overweight, middle-aged, unshaven man who sat in the middle of the middle of the Covered End and would call out at every match 'Fulham reject', 'Blackburn reject', 'Reading reject'...or whichever club, the targeted player once played for. He always got laughs from the fans for that or whatever else he boomed out. Does anyone know who he was?
    Remember the Reject Man well from the 80s. He used to flick through the programme notes to find out the clubs the opposition keeper had played for and reel them off. I met up with an old school mate at the Valley at the end of last season. He lives in Bournemouth now and hadn't been for years. We reminisced about our group from Wilmington Grammar School who used to get the 96 bus to Woolwich and sit in the Covered End. Reject Man was a figure neither of us had forgotten.

I sit in Covered End Upper and the only character who stands out like Reject Man now is the old guy, who makes everyone stand up as he takes the longest possible route from his seat for his half time piss. I think he even had a thread to himself some time back.
    Going to pull you on something there… Wilmington Grammar school didn’t exist then. Surely it was Dartford Tech ????

An I’m sure that’s the same Elephant and keeper made famous on Blue Peter.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Some heady old days playing in front of a few thousand. Was allowed to go on my own so started going regularly in 1972, saw a couple fo classics against Swansea  and Notts county, and the usual home defeats by Shrewsbury.

Mid to late 70.s saw some spectacular games there Brighton 4-3, Spurs 4-1, and not forgetting that game at Orient when we needed a point to stay up and the ref played about 10 minutes extra time to extend the anguish.

Those were the days.
  • Options
    I picked Charlton not the other way round.
    Stamford to The Valley that was the step i took. Found out later my uncles went to Cup final. From that 2-0 win in the cup at Palace to relegation in 72 ,and 3years in division 3 around the country from Tonbridge to Margate, Peter Page, Chris Slaterey,Les Turner and Eddie Cecil. Old Trafford in the cup 74 and Walsall, Chesterfield, Halifax and Hereford and Bury to that night at The Valley in 1975 PNE . The journey that is life and your family of Friends at The Valley, and afew evenings in The Valley Social Club.
    Raise a glass to it all ,It’s the journey of life and Charlton. 
    Happy Days.😀
    I am sure you must be me ! Did you play for LAC ? 
  • Options
    edited June 2023

I was there, sitting in the West Stand , with my Dad. Alongside Peter Reeves Mum and Dad
  • Options

Going to pull you on something there… Wilmington Grammar school didn’t exist then. Surely it was Dartford Tech ????

Who's shit on the floor.

The elephant but he's good in the air.
  • Options

The elephant does!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    lolwray said:
    I picked Charlton not the other way round.
    Stamford to The Valley that was the step i took. Found out later my uncles went to Cup final. From that 2-0 win in the cup at Palace to relegation in 72 ,and 3years in division 3 around the country from Tonbridge to Margate, Peter Page, Chris Slaterey,Les Turner and Eddie Cecil. Old Trafford in the cup 74 and Walsall, Chesterfield, Halifax and Hereford and Bury to that night at The Valley in 1975 PNE . The journey that is life and your family of Friends at The Valley, and afew evenings in The Valley Social Club.
    Raise a glass to it all ,It’s the journey of life and Charlton. 
    Happy Days.😀
    I am sure you must be me ! Did you play for LAC ? 
    Answer to your question, no I didn’t but as I always traveled with Big Chris I knew most of the lads. 
    Old Trafford went up in Peter Pages old Green Bedford van. The van drank more oil than petrol.
  • Options
    Father and Son a great song
  • Options
    ...sorry, thought it said Cat Stevens
  • Options

No you are wrong there. I started there in 1978 when it was Dartford Tech and it changed in 1982 to Wilmington Grammar. I started going to the Valley with mates in 1981 and left WGS in 1985. Most of the time we went as a gang from school was when we were part of WGS. Reject Man was going strong in 1982 until we left for Selhurst. Thats when we stopped going regularly.