Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cafc in the Seventies

edited June 2023 in General Charlton
Just been watching Charlton in the Seventies on Youtube.
Great to see footage of Hales, Flanagan, Peacock and Powell. One other player that really stood out was Richie Bowman.
Skilful,tidy passer, energetic and brave.
Even though in his second season he was below par, I was surprised that Andy Nelson was so keen to get rid so early.
Still, a very good watch in what was happier times. 

Comments

• Options

• Options
    edited June 2023
    I fell in love with CAFC in the 70's but we are guilty of looking through rose-tinted glasses. For all the flair and panache of Powell, Peacock, Hales and Flanagan, we had a poor defence and were very bad away from home. Most of those years saw us typically win one away all season and you could bet on an annual hiding somewhere. HAL1X is right too when he points out the shit gates, and the decrepid ground. The Glikstens had lost interest and were commercially naive.
  • Options
    Along with the Curbs era the 70s was my absolute favourite Time supporting Charlton. 

Got to meet many friends who I still go with today. 
    Happy days. 
    me to - spot on
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Didn't have t'internet to spread gloom and doom. No CL.
  • Options
    My Dad took me to Charlton in the 70s when I was a teenager. We used to sit in the old main stand and I can remember one man who was always shouting in a very loud voice.

The old east terrace always looked massive to me.
  • Options
    Along with the Curbs era the 70s was my absolute favourite Time supporting Charlton. 

Got to meet many friends who I still go with today. 
    Happy days. 
    Totally
  • Options
    If you didn’t have a program you didn’t know the HT results
  • Options
    This may have been in the 70s but was definitely in the 80s. There used to be an overweight, middle-aged, unshaven man who sat in the middle of the middle of the Covered End and would call out at every match 'Fulham reject', 'Blackburn reject', 'Reading reject'...or whichever club, the targeted player once played for. He always got laughs from the fans for that or whatever else he boomed out. Does anyone know who he was?
  • Options
    Plus, there was for many years, an old man (at least he seemed old to me as I was a boy/teenager) who wore a long white coat and sold programmes on Woolwich Road, near Penhall Road. He was there every match for years. Does anyone know who he was?
  • Options
    My Dad took me to Charlton in the 70s when I was a teenager. We used to sit in the old main stand and I can remember one man who was always shouting in a very loud voice.

The old east terrace always looked massive to me.
    The East Terrace looked massive to everyone ............... because it was. At the time it was the biggest terrace in europe, supposedly held 45.000 & at one time the South Terrace was (from memory) the same height until we sold off some land.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yep, started going to Charlton with my dad in 1970 and was completely hooked. Great memories that decade. 
  • Options
    This may have been in the 70s but was definitely in the 80s. There used to be an overweight, middle-aged, unshaven man who sat in the middle of the middle of the Covered End and would call out at every match 'Fulham reject', 'Blackburn reject', 'Reading reject'...or whichever club, the targeted player once played for. He always got laughs from the fans for that or whatever else he boomed out. Does anyone know who he was?
    If he wore dark glasses than we referred to him as Luigi. Never knew him personally.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    We've had these threads before, but yes my era. Feel sorry for the young uns who never experienced it. So much better than the matchday experience now, which is so sanitised.

I was born under the Covered End. Loved singing that.
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    I must mention my good friend Denis Burgess on this thread. He of Denis is our leader fame.

I am glad to say he still goes and sits with me although he has calmed down a bit he still has his moments.
    Legend.
  • Options

Does anyone on here remember this or was at the game? A mate of mine sent me this photo today