Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Day trip with kids - Broadstairs, Margate or Herne Bay

2»

Comments

• Options
    DiscoCAFC said:
    If you’re looking at another option Hastings is good. There’s amusements, crazy golf, sealife, some decent shops and fun fair.
    As well as the craftiest and most aggressive seagulls on the planet!
  • Options
    DiscoCAFC said:
    If you’re looking at another option Hastings is good. There’s amusements, crazy golf, sealife, some decent shops and fun fair.
    As well as the craftiest and most aggressive seagulls on the planet!
    Can't argue with that eating outside can be pretty dangerous.
  • Options
    Did you have a good day  @MrOneLung and where did you go?
  • Options
    Well a bit disappointing in that the mother in law was quite poorly and by time we got meds sorted from doctors it was already 3pm so we just went local in romford for some bowling, but then me and the youngest did a late dash at 630 down to Southend again to get one last go on adventure island before annual tickets run out tomorrow. 

The thread will be revisited in the six weeks holidays !! 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Well a bit disappointing in that the mother in law was quite poorly and by time we got meds sorted from doctors it was already 3pm so we just went local in romford for some bowling, but then me and the youngest did a late dash at 630 down to Southend again to get one last go on adventure island before annual tickets run out tomorrow. 

The thread will be revisited in the six weeks holidays !! 
    I'm sorry to hear that, I hope your mother in law feels better soon. 
  • Options
    I have always liked Ramsgate myself.
    Sandy beach, nice harbour and plenty of places to eat.
    Speedy recovery to your Mother in Law
  • Options
    Agree with you Ant. Ramsgate has a great beach & benefits from being less known / crowded.

Loads of restaurants/bars to choose from around the harbour & the Granville Theatre on the seafront has recently reopened (with some surprisingly good ‘west end’ level shows).

Definitely an area that has seen good improvement / modernisation in recent years…largely thanks to efforts from @“Airman Brown".

I believe the area is also due more investment in the near future after being awarded a fairly hefty levelling up grant so it will be good to see what Rick pulls out the bag next.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Agree with you Ant. Ramsgate has a great beach & benefits from being less known / crowded.

Loads of restaurants/bars to choose from around the harbour & the Granville Theatre on the seafront has recently reopened (with some surprisingly good ‘west end’ level shows).

Definitely an area that has seen good improvement / modernisation in recent years…largely thanks to efforts from @“Airman Brown".

I believe the area is also due more investment in the near future after being awarded a fairly hefty levelling up grant so it will be good to see what Rick pulls out the bag next.
    As council leader I have to be neutral between Margate, Broadstairs and Ramsgate… but Ramsgate is definitely underrated compared to the other two. All three towns have distinct identities so it depends what you’re looking for.

• Options
    When do you expect work to start on the new town square by the maritime building Rick?

Plus do you see Ramsgate port re-opening or is that proposal a pipe dream?

• Options
    When do you expect work to start on the new town square by the maritime building Rick?

It's reopening for Brexit, isn't it?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just avoid Ramsgate on a Saturday evening by the seafront. I like Ramsgate during the day. Usually park at the Boating pool and finish at Habour Brassiere!
  • Options
    Lovely coastal walk from Tankerton to Herne Bay and back yesterday morning. Wore shorts and a t shirt. Blowing a gale ha ha.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Just avoid Ramsgate on a Saturday evening by the seafront. I like Ramsgate during the day. Usually park at the Boating pool and finish at Habour Brassiere!
     :open_mouth:  
  • Options
    edited June 2023

In the next couple of years, hopefully. 

Yes and no. The port isn’t closed currently - it has wind farm operators, an aggregate operation, and has been used for car imports - but it is under-utilised. That will change.
  • Options
    I too would recommend Ramsgate.  All three towns have their attractions but Ramsgate by far, has the most diverse.
    The town has an amazing history and an incredible variety of architecture (if that floats your boat.)  A disappointing retail offer but a determined group of local independent innovative shopkeepers seem commited to try and keep the High Street alive.
    The town is well worth a visit and I'll be surprised if you're not astounded by the immense brickwork arches which extend above the main road as it snakes towards the town centre.  If you want to avoid hefty (although cheaper than both Margate and Broadstairs) parking charges do as Mendonca does and park by the boating pool then take a leisurely stroll down the hill towards the town centre and enjoy the views of the harbour, the wonderful residential buildings which overlook it and take comfort from the fact that Vincent Van Gogh and Isaac Newton enjoyed similar strolls many years ago.  One of my favourite places.
  • Options
    I’ll give a shout out for Minnis Bay. When the sun is out, there’s no better place. Plenty of free parking, sandy beach, pub, tea hut, ice cream parlour, toilets and a lively walk down to Reculver Tower. 
  • Options
    Sensei said:
    I too would recommend Ramsgate.  All three towns have their attractions but Ramsgate by far, has the most diverse.
    The town has an amazing history and an incredible variety of architecture (if that floats your boat.)  A disappointing retail offer but a determined group of local independent innovative shopkeepers seem commited to try and keep the High Street alive.
    The town is well worth a visit and I'll be surprised if you're not astounded by the immense brickwork arches which extend above the main road as it snakes towards the town centre.  If you want to avoid hefty (although cheaper than both Margate and Broadstairs) parking charges do as Mendonca does and park by the boating pool then take a leisurely stroll down the hill towards the town centre and enjoy the views of the harbour, the wonderful residential buildings which overlook it and take comfort from the fact that Vincent Van Gogh and Isaac Newton enjoyed similar strolls many years ago.  One of my favourite places.
    Or you could declare, aged 4, that you can run to the bottom of the hill with your eyes shut and set off full pelt before your parents can stop you. Two hours having stitches in casualty put an end to a good family day out. I bear the scar on my forehead to this day.
  • Options
    Being a Broadstairs resident I am obviously biased but we do venture out to the other town. Just yesterday we had lunch at The Harbour Brasserie Ramsgate and I do like to watch sunsets in Margate while sipping a cold beer 
  • Options
    Lovely coastal walk from Tankerton to Herne Bay and back yesterday morning. Wore shorts and a t shirt. Blowing a gale ha ha.
    Was lovely along the front yesterday, suddenly but a big breeze keeping it cool enough for a walk.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    My sister lives in Westgate. I had never heard of it until she moved there last year. What a lovely place. I love it.

There is nothing to do there for kids tho! Bar the beach. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Our 5 night stay in Broadstairs reminded me how much I love the place ! 

Walked far more than we've done previously including to  Ramsgate & back and to the Captain Digby & back....many miles did we travel ! 

Just a shame that an extremely cold, strong wind every day except yesterday when we were leaving , prevented us from relaxing on the beach in between our walking expeditions. 

And have never seen so many glorious dogs being walked in the area !