Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Day trip with kids - Broadstairs, Margate or Herne Bay

Fancy a trip to coast on Thursday with the 10&12 year olds. 

Any recommendations on these three and what is there to do to keep them amused. 

Comments

• Options
    The location means that you can do Margate and Broadstairs in the same day (easily). Margate is ok, Dreamland will kill a few hours and there are the usual amusements. Beach is ok. Broadstairs is a nicer place, beach is better and the restaurants and pubs are much nicer - not sure how much of a consideration pubs are if you have 10 & 12 year olds though.

I cycle to Herne Bay a lot and never spend much time there. The pier is open with a small fair ground and some local stalls. The amusements are small and the places to eat and drink are standard seaside fayre. Whole place is pretty tired TBH.

If you want a bit to do, Southend might be better. Beach is ok, pier with the train ride out to the end is ok, sea life have an aquarium there and you also have loads of amusements and Adventure Island. If you want a quieter more attractive beach you can head about 10 mins further up the road to Thorpe Bay or Shoeburyness.
  • Options
    Thanks Clem. 

Went Southend with the youngest on yesterday so trying to avoid there. 
  • Options
    Which beach is best base at Broadstairs ? 

• Options
    Haven’t been since lockdown but Margate might be better for the kids. Dreamland is good as is the beach. A few decent places to eat in and around the old town. Broadstairs is a nicer place but other than the beach, not a massive amount for the kids. Parking can be a nightmare there as well. 
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Margate is what I would call the quintessential English Holiday destination of Dreamland, ice creams, kiss me quick hat's, Stag/hen parties...beach is ok,
    Prefer Broadstairs myself, it used to have a penny arcade, not sure if it is still there, but a much better beach, nice harbour and pier, used to be able too park on the pier, still got the ice creams, coffee shops, pubs etc, but a lot more interesting than Margate...
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Depends what your kids like and how long a day out you want but I would go to Margate or Broadstairs for a few hours then head to Beltinge right next to Herne Bay for 4pm on the way back home (low tide is 5.23) and spend an hour or so finding 53million year old fossilised shark tooth on the beach (they are only small). With some patience and a good eye you would find a few (last time I took the kids they found 30+).
    Basically just park in the car park top of the cliff, walk down the path, straight down the small steps into the beach and head to the flattish part where the sea goes furthest out and they are on there.

Could also go crabbing off Whitstable pier.
  • Options
    Do Margate and Broadstairs in one day. Slum it in Margate first. Dreamland, fish and chips, run along the beach.

Then go up the road to Broadstairs. Have a walk around and finish the day here https://www.morellisgelato.com/

On the way back to South London (?) have a nice evening walk around Canterbury.
  • Options
    I really like Broadstairs, but there's not a lot for kids to do there (unless they like walking)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Free parking on both the Western and Eastern esplanades. Don’t miss Morelli’s ice cream parlour 
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Botany Bay is probably one of the nicest beaches in Broadstairs, if not the whole of Kent - But its a beach, and that is it... There aren't any other attractions beachside or a pier there etc.

You also have Viking Bay or Joss Bay further along the coast

Parking is a bit of a bugger at Botany Bay though, you can park at the Captain Digby pub for £10 for the day, might be free if you use the pub.
  • Options
    Aunt lives in broadstairs love it down there but as others say not loads for kids 
  • Options
    Bank holiday in Broadstairs....feral kids, constant police out and not the nicest of atmospheres. Enjoyed the meal at Kebbells mind.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Taxi_Lad said:
    I live in Broadstairs so I’m furiously proud if it. Nicest seaside town in Kent!
    but Margate offers more for the kids and has some trendy eateries. Easily do both though! 
    @eastterrace6168 the arcade is still there
    Cheers @Taxi_Lad, probably showing my age calling it the Penny Arcade, probably The Quid Arcade now!!...two weeks every year holiday with the parents when I were nowt but a lad...🙄
    Morelli's ice cream parlour was something else, but always loved it down there, fishing off the pier, donkey rides on the beach,,,jumpers for goalposts😉...Margate was ok for a day out though...
  • Options
    Margate for kids by a mile 
  • Options
    But I do like Broadstairs ! 
  • Options
    IAgree said:
    Margate for kids by a mile 
    Dreamland, the arcades, the beach and there are some good and varied eateries.

The old town is worth a visit and the Crab 🦀 Museum https://www.crabmuseum.org/visit is fun and funny.

My youngest daughter is 15 and my granddaughters are 13 & 4 and Margate is always top of their list of requests (and Southend!) and has been for years.

I always make a point of wandering around the harbour and visiting the Turner Contemporary and there are some good micro pubs there although I’ve never tried them
  • Options
    Cheers guys. Might give Margate a whirl. 
    Not been down there since Kent Soul Festival days in early 90’s
  • Options
    If you want another option St Mary’s Bay just outside of Dymchurch is worth considering. Large sandy beach, car park runs the length of it so easy parking, toilets, cafe, etc

When you want a break from the sand you can walk along the seafront into Dymchurch and there is a staircase that takes you straight into the amusement arcade and fairground rides. Bit of fish and chips and an ice cream on the front, walk back to the car and the kids will be asleep before you get out of the car park 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If you’re looking at another option Hastings is good. There’s amusements, crazy golf, sealife, some decent shops and fun fair.
  • Options
    Bit windy in Broadstairs at the moment but always lovely from where I sit.
  • Options
    DiscoCAFC said:
    If you’re looking at another option Hastings is good. There’s amusements, crazy golf, sealife, some decent shops and fun fair.
    Has Hastings still got the railway and rowing lake?
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    LenGlover said:
    DiscoCAFC said:
    Has Hastings still got the railway and rowing lake?
    Yes....the rowing lake now has Swan (pedelos) though.
  • Options
    If you want another option St Mary’s Bay just outside of Dymchurch is worth considering. Large sandy beach, car park runs the length of it so easy parking, toilets, cafe, etc

When you want a break from the sand you can walk along the seafront into Dymchurch and there is a staircase that takes you straight into the amusement arcade and fairground rides. Bit of fish and chips and an ice cream on the front, walk back to the car and the kids will be asleep before you get out of the car park 
    And there's the mini train. Romney-Hythe-Dymchurch. https://www.rhdr.org.uk/
    We all love a train ride.
  • Options
    You might want to take some warm clothing as the forecast for tomorrow is rather chilly, with the wind coming off the North Sea.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2654635
  • Options
    Will be two years this September since we moved down to Broadstairs and I still feel oddly proud that people come for day visits/holidays to where I live. Never happened in Barnehurst🤣
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    With kids in tow got to be Margate out of the 3