Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nathan Asiimwe signs pro contract

13»

Comments

• Options
    edited February 26
    Actually I’m not so sure he favours coming inside to bolster the midfield. He joined the academy U13s as a winger and was soon converted to wing back and coached accordingly up through the age groups. By his own admission he didn’t like it at first as he enjoyed attacking but settled gradually into the roll. It’s all in this article by Rich Cawley;

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/sport/in-depth-with-charlton-defender-nathan-asiimwe-how-pal-karoy-anderson-acts-as-role-model-and-position-switch-paid-off/

Maybe it’s just how the U21 coach wants him to play at the moment to strengthen the midfield with an extra body.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    Actually I’m not so sure he favours coming inside to bolster the midfield. He joined the academy U13s as a winger and was soon converted to wing back and coached accordingly up through the age groups. By his own admission he didn’t like it at first as he enjoyed attacking but settled gradually into the roll. It’s all in this article by Rich Cawley;

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/sport/in-depth-with-charlton-defender-nathan-asiimwe-how-pal-karoy-anderson-acts-as-role-model-and-position-switch-paid-off/

Maybe it’s just how the U21 coach wants him to play at the moment to strengthen the midfield with an extra body.
    I mean, you just have to watch him play to see that he clearly does come inside naturally. The article says that he 'was playing in a forward role, as a winger and even sometimes in midfield' so it's not like he was some touchline hugging winger until he was dragged back, he's a player who all through his youth career has played in wide and central roles. This season he's rarely stayed exclusively wide when he's played, which is something that Holden liked in his wingbacks when we started off the season. The modern trend in full backs is to play more narrow and provide extra bodies in midfield so it's possible that's been coached or he picked it up himself, either way I'm sure he can adapt to stay wider
  • Options
    I’ve watched him a few times in U21 games and pre season before he broke into the first team and he stayed more out wide than not. However in the recent U21 game v Cardiff I agree he was tucking into midfield a lot. He’s still learning and if he can play narrow or wide then it augers well for his and the clubs future
  • Options
    Given the impact/improvements made by Kanu and Anderson (and the understanding they have from the Academy), that the back 3 will already be unsettled by Jones' absence, and assuming Watson (T) is injured, I was kind of expecting/hoping we'd see him start tomorrow rather than move REG out of the back three, but I guess not is he played today. Maybe Watson is ok to play.
  • Options
    edited February 26
    Radio silence on T Watson’s injury and I get the impression that NJ doesn’t  believe in giving too much away on the injury front and I don’t blame him as it keeps the opposition guessing. 
  • Options
    Ive been so impressed by Asiimwe thus far, in what has been a difficult season to make your first impact on a squad. Spectacular error against Port Vale at home that you could see hurt him but I think the boy will go a long way in the game personally 
  • Options
    follett said:
    Called up to the Uganda national team. Congrats Nathan
    Are Uganda playing again?

Thought they'd been suspended by FIFA or AFF
  • Options
    Our kids are being snapped up for international football, and it's straight into first teams too.

Yes it's "lesser" countries, but feels a bit weird having youngsters with only 20-40 senior appearances going straight into adult international football.
  • Options
    Are we now going to have Ugandan discussions?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I can safely say that Travis Mutyaba fails the Charlton Life height test
  • Options
    Was thinking exactly the same @Orpingtony
  • Options
    Great news for the lad, and a proud moment for the family.
  • Options
    Best of luck Nathan.