Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nathan Asiimwe signs pro contract

Comments

• Options
    He's looked pretty decent but it'd only be worth keeping him around the squad if he was going to feature. If not then it'd probably be more beneficial for his progress to try and get him a loan rather than playing him in the U23s/21s or whatever they are now.

I like the look of Anderson as well, i think he'll be one that makes it. 
    He was an under 18 past season wasn't he?  Well obviously if he is 18 now he was 17 then...

But is there any rush to get 18 year olds out on loan?   If everyone that's in the gap between the first team group of 20 or so and the u18s goes out on loan we might as well scrap the u21s because we won't have anyone to play in it.

Unless u21s is too easy for them, in which case they should be in our first team, I don't see the point in loaning out first year pros because the coaching they get won't be as good and if they aren't physically ready it could do them more harm than good.  Henry hasn't really pushed on despite his loans.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Agree with the above because academic education is still happening and most if not all of our 16 to 18 year group should be not only playing football most days but studying as many will end up in part time football. (Some for 1st team 🤞)

19 years old can be a decent age to get a loan if the 18 man squad isn't happening but U21 is still a step up and you can play against some senior pro's coming back from Injuries as you can/could play some over aged players.
    Scott Parker at Norwich and Karlan Grant at Crawley were beneficial loans.
    Were they 19 and 20ish 🤔

I haven't seen enough of Nathan to Judge but there could be a route to the first team depending on incomings and the form and fitness of Egbo with the departure of the man in the mask.
  • Options
    Asiimwe has definitely staked a claim to be back up right wingback. Signing another one certainly wouldn't be my priority when compared to the gaping holes at left wingback and up front.
  • Options
    Asiimwe has definitely staked a claim to be back up right wingback. Signing another one certainly wouldn't be my priority when compared to the gaping holes at left wingback and up front.
    That's the worst place for him, or anyone else to be imo.  Ends up sitting on the bench every Saturday/Tuesday and doesn't play for the u21s incase he is needed for the first team.  Doing an Albie as I like to call it.

We need a first choice RWB, better than Egbo and if Asiimwe forces his way past both of them its a win win.
  • Options
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good news.

Some weaknesses in his defending have been exposed by being overplayed too early in his career but clearly a talent to be nurtured.
  • Options
    The other interesting thing about Nathan is that he is comfortable at CB and could be a very good option at RCB in a back 3 should Appleton decide to move to his favoured formation.
  • Options
    Good news, it's crucial to get the better youngsters tied down.
  • Options
    Young still, but inexperience aside he has a lot of positive qualities.
    It won’t be on show for a while yet this season, but there have been moments in matches this season when his combinations with TC and Leaburn when all three are on the pitch at the same time, they have shown an almost telepathic understanding and confidence in each other.
    I am a huge fan of the Academy and am delighted with this.
  • Options
    Good news.

Hasn't been perfect, but he's 18.  Good prospect and the type of player we need to be keeping.
  • Options
    Brilliant news . My Wife has just added "oh he's handsome"
  • Options
    Super news. A real prospect.
  • Options
    Good news, rough around the edges but he's going to be a very good player 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Very positive, hopefully becomes an important player for us. 
  • Options
    Is he the player freed up by Kirk going?
  • Options
    Is he out of favour or injured?

With Tennai going off injured, maybe he can get back into the team. I like his energy, even if he could do with some more defensive nous. 

Would certainly prefer him to Edun coming in and 1 of him or small playing right back.
  • Options
    edited February 26
    He’s starting for the u21s this afternoon.

I’d guess we’d play REG at RWB rather than Edun or Small.
  • Options
    He needed a loan this season rather than magically convert to being our first choice RB.
  • Options
    edited February 26
    Scoham said:
    He’s starting for the u21s this afternoon.

I’d guess we’d play REG at RWB rather than Edun or Small.
    Which is then likely to mean the return to the squad of Hector or Ness instead of Jones tomorrow and assuming we continue with 3CBs.
  • Options
    Has anything been said about Watson and why he went off on Saturday?
  • Options
    Asiimwe is another wingback who would rather come inside and bolster the midfield rather than go up and down the line so he's potentially another who might find he's less popular with Jones than with previous managers. He's a clever player though, he can adapt I reckon
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    He needed a loan this season rather than magically convert to being our first choice RB.
    Cawley said that the club considered sending him on loan in January. I would guess that the right offer didn't come in
  • Options
    Asiimwe is another wingback who would rather come inside and bolster the midfield rather than go up and down the line so he's potentially another who might find he's less popular with Jones than with previous managers. He's a clever player though, he can adapt I reckon
    Agree, I could see him adapting to play as the type of WB Jones wants or even moving to RCB in a back three