Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• Surprised that Cole Stockton has only got a 2 year deal at Burton considering he's the best striker in the world. But seriously, the obsession with him has to be one of the weirdest ones on here in a long time. He has had one proper goalscoring season in his career. he's 29. He had an absolute pig last season and covered up for it a bit by going on a spree in the last 4 games when it was too late to help his team much. He has 80 career league goals and more than a quarter of them were in one season, a season which he then couldn't repeat. If you compare his record to anyone it would be Nicky Ajose, and as I remember that turned out very well for us. It really does speak volumes that instead of going to a promotion-pushing team he's signed for a club that knowingly picked up Oshilaja, McGillivray, Kirk and Lavelle. Best of luck to him.
    Strange narrative you have with him. He's been a very good striker in League 1 the last 2 years. Was the best player on the pitch at The Valley too
    How is it a strange narrative? He had one exceptional season in 21/22 where he got 23 goals. He was fantastic, and the question was always whether he could repeat it. That's always a challenge for strikers at any level. Alfie May was able to, Ajose couldn't, he had a one-off. Stockton didn't repeat it the second season in L1, he had 4 goals by the middle of April. Morecambe went down, and part of that was because their main striker was rubbish until the last four games of the season. He was not a very good League 1 striker last year, he was a bust; that's why he's gone to Burton now and not Bolton or Barnsley or Derby. His ability to look good against us is great for him but it doesn't mean he's good in the other 44 games on offer.
    You're basing him solely on his goalscoring record and in your fantasy land the season finishes in mid April anyway. His goalscoring record is actually pretty good (34 goals in 83 appearances in league 1 past 2 seasons), he was playing with people Pape Souare...i suspect he will do much better in a better team. Anyway i think Stockton is a target man who brings others into the game, and from what I've seen is very good at it. Don't care we havn't signed him, but i think your overly harsh on him. 
  • Redhenry said:
    If the takeover takes too long, can't see us getting the May deal over the line.
    Forget about May, June is nearly gone in'all.

Just tidying up the missed pun opportunity. I'll get me coat.
  • It was obvious the Stockton was going to stay up North. 
  • Surprised that Cole Stockton has only got a 2 year deal at Burton considering he's the best striker in the world. But seriously, the obsession with him has to be one of the weirdest ones on here in a long time. He has had one proper goalscoring season in his career. he's 29. He had an absolute pig last season and covered up for it a bit by going on a spree in the last 4 games when it was too late to help his team much. He has 80 career league goals and more than a quarter of them were in one season, a season which he then couldn't repeat. If you compare his record to anyone it would be Nicky Ajose, and as I remember that turned out very well for us. It really does speak volumes that instead of going to a promotion-pushing team he's signed for a club that knowingly picked up Oshilaja, McGillivray, Kirk and Lavelle. Best of luck to him.
    Strange narrative you have with him. He's been a very good striker in League 1 the last 2 years. Was the best player on the pitch at The Valley too
    How is it a strange narrative? He had one exceptional season in 21/22 where he got 23 goals. He was fantastic, and the question was always whether he could repeat it. That's always a challenge for strikers at any level. Alfie May was able to, Ajose couldn't, he had a one-off. Stockton didn't repeat it the second season in L1, he had 4 goals by the middle of April. Morecambe went down, and part of that was because their main striker was rubbish until the last four games of the season. He was not a very good League 1 striker last year, he was a bust; that's why he's gone to Burton now and not Bolton or Barnsley or Derby. His ability to look good against us is great for him but it doesn't mean he's good in the other 44 games on offer.
    You're basing him solely on his goalscoring record and in your fantasy land the season finishes in mid April anyway. His goalscoring record is actually pretty good (34 goals in 83 appearances in league 1 past 2 seasons), he was playing with people Pape Souare...i suspect he will do much better in a better team. Anyway i think Stockton is a target man who brings others into the game, and from what I've seen is very good at it. Don't care we havn't signed him, but i think your overly harsh on him. 
    Morecambe's season did pretty much finish in mid-April. They had too much to do to stay up by then. That's sort of how it works, if you lose all your games at the start then going on a three match winning run doesn't really help. His excellent hold up play did yield one assist though and brought other players into the game to the tune of the 6th lowest goals scored tally in the league. His overall tally isn't bad, that's true, but again 23 of those goals were in one exceptional season. Out of interest, what is from what you've seen beyond two games at The Valley? I don't think I'm overly harsh, I just see him for what he is, which is an average L1 striker who had one standout season. Not a career to be sniffed at but not the kind of player you want to sign if you need to rebuild your team for a promotion tilt. Other teams evidently think the same which is why he's gone to Burton, 15th place in L1.
    I just get very tired of these transfer window fixations we get into as fans. One or two players are always identified as our saviour and if we don't sign them it's meltdown. When we actually do make the signing though it doesn't seem to help. Scott Fraser had one excellent game against us and it was all anyone could talk about. The fact next game he was marked out of the game by Darren Pratley was ignored and now he's...fine. He's ok, he's good sometimes. Not the missing piece. A couple of summers ago we were desperate for Sandgaard to push the boat out for Charlie Kirk, he'd fix us. I forget how that ended. Maybe Stockton will have another 20 goal season at Burton, maybe he won't, but I think he'll end his career without any big promotion team thinking he was good enough. He'll definitely score against us for Burton though. And Deji probably.
  • One of the reasons I rate Stockton more than others were that many of his goals weren't tap ins.
    They were tremendous shots from 30/40/50 metres.
  • kodfish said:
    Don’t worry Lyle’s still available 😉
    sign him
  • Sponsored links:

• Anyone getting a feeling of deja-vu?
  • One of the reasons I rate Stockton more than others were that many of his goals weren't tap ins.
    They were tremendous shots from 30/40/50 metres.
    this is precisely why I don’t rate him. Strikers need to score strikers goals, if you can bang them in from 30m that’s a bonus 
    You can say that again.

• Can’t wait for Alfie May to sign for a Saudi club for £2bn 
    No …. Feeling of excitement for the future finally 

No …. Feeling of excrement for the future finally 
    Corrected for yer Ron...
    So, has Alfie May had his medical & if so when will he be revealed as our first signing ?
    So, has Alfie May had his medical & if so when will he be revealed as our first signing ?
    You forgot to ask if the takeover completed on the 14th.
  • Sponsored links:

• Whole time Martin Sandgaard is still involved, Holden isn't going to get the players he wants! 
  • Sounds like Storrie is also having a big say on transfer at the moment, and only going one route through John Smith the agent and his brother, and guess who May's agent is?? Think the whole Charlton have bid for May is agent talk at the moment! Not sure Holden wants him!
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    Whole time Martin Sandgaard is still involved, Holden isn't going to get the players he wants! 
    Frustrating if still the case.  I understand during any takeover of a normally business that the existing management continue to oversee everything, but we’re not a normal business and we don’t have a normal management given that little weasel has managed to carve out a role for himself 
  • edited June 2023
    Wasn't John Smith one of the plethora of names linked to the takeover?  If this is true then it seems likely TS is agreeing to what the incoming regime wants.

Well he appears to have been involved with Spiegel, but this all seems like he has crossed across to Methven's lot.
  • cfgs said:
    Wasn't John Smith one of the plethora of names linked to the takeover?  If this is true then it seems likely TS is agreeing to what the incoming regime wants.

Well he appears to have been involved with Spiegel, but this all seems like he has crossed across to Methven's lot.
    Smith is Storrie man.. Nothing to Methven lot
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    cfgs said:

But wasn't he part of the Spiegel consortium?
  • I also heard Jon Smith is acting for one of the people in the mystery consortium.
  • cfgs said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    cfgs said:

But wasn't he part of the Spiegel consortium?

Yes , was earmarked for a Sporting Director role I believe. 
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    Whole time Martin Sandgaard is still involved, Holden isn't going to get the players he wants! 
    Storrie is quoted as saying that MS is still doing the data analysis but isn’t part of the decision making process.  Holden will ask MS for the data on a target and that will be used as part of the decision making process.