Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

A bit of Charlton history in California

2»

Comments

• Rob said:
    It’s still there. On Main Street, Walnut Creek. 
    We got the guy in reception to book ahead for Vegas.  He couldn't understand why we wanted a date in November until I realised he didn't do UK/US date conversions !

My other recollection of that day was the view west from the freeway on route north to Walnut Creek.  The hills were so twisted from earthquake activity.  Really impressive !
  • Thanks for a lovely post Rob, it really brought back nostalgic California dreams .. and love the wheels !!
  • Rob said:
    Thanks for the comments.  Yeah, I love the car. Owned it for about 18 years. Got it from the original owner with all paperwork including the original 1966 invoice. Healey Blue and painted wires. They never made them with chrome and any car that has them is an after market add on. 

This is the SF Bay Area. The East Bay actually. Yes, Tom Hanks country. 

This neighborhood really gave me a kick. And all the people who live there haven’t a clue about the South London relevance. I half expected to see an Addicks scarf in the window somewhere but I never saw one. Shame. 

Ah....worked in SF just before pandemic. Lived in South Beach by the Giants stadium and worked in Oakland. Enjoyed my time out there although must say homeless issue in SF is out of hand. 
  • Hex said:
    Rob said:
    We got the guy in reception to book ahead for Vegas.  He couldn't understand why we wanted a date in November until I realised he didn't do UK/US date conversions !

My other recollection of that day was the view west from the freeway on route north to Walnut Creek.  The hills were so twisted from earthquake activity.  Really impressive !
    It’s a lovely area around here. It sounds like you approached Walnut Creek more inland from the South up hwy 680. If you come directly from SF, you come East over the Bay Bridge on hwy 24, bypass Oakland/ Berkeley, and come through the Caldecott Tunnel. That’s when you come into the lovely valley of rolling, picturesque hills that you’re talking about.  That’s where Walnut Creek/Pleasant Hill is situated. It’s about 20 miles or so East of SF. The weather in the valley is superb, a lot warmer than SF. Lots of Brits gravitate to this area rather than the more cloudy/chilly SF. A very nice place to live although, nowadays, it can get too hot in the summer sometimes. 
  • ct_addick said:
    Rob said:
    Thanks for the comments.  Yeah, I love the car. Owned it for about 18 years. Got it from the original owner with all paperwork including the original 1966 invoice. Healey Blue and painted wires. They never made them with chrome and any car that has them is an after market add on. 

This is the SF Bay Area. The East Bay actually. Yes, Tom Hanks country. 

This neighborhood really gave me a kick. And all the people who live there haven’t a clue about the South London relevance. I half expected to see an Addicks scarf in the window somewhere but I never saw one. Shame. 

Ah....worked in SF just before pandemic. Lived in South Beach by the Giants stadium and worked in Oakland. Enjoyed my time out there although must say homeless issue in SF is out of hand. 
    Yes, the homeless issue is a big problem. It’s not handled very well by the local governments. SF and Oakland are really bad. Not bad when you get out of the cities though. 
  • Rob said:
    Anyway, I’ll be dropping by to the local housing authority offices to find out who the original builders were for this housing development. I should be able to find that out. And then look to see if there’s any information about them anywhere. It was probably a smaller builder with ties to South London. It must have been! I’ll let you know what I find out. Sleuth Rob is on the case! :)
    relations of the Glickstens ? .. well known timber dealers, some Californians love a wooden homestead  :)  
  • Maybe Lincs. it’ll be interesting to find out. 
  • Rob said:
    Hex said:
    Rob said:

It’s a lovely area around here. It sounds like you approached Walnut Creek more inland from the South up hwy 680. If you come directly from SF, you come East over the Bay Bridge on hwy 24, bypass Oakland/ Berkeley, and come through the Caldecott Tunnel. That’s when you come into the lovely valley of rolling, picturesque hills that you’re talking about.  That’s where Walnut Creek/Pleasant Hill is situated. It’s about 20 miles or so East of SF. The weather in the valley is superb, a lot warmer than SF. Lots of Brits gravitate to this area rather than the more cloudy/chilly SF. A very nice place to live although, nowadays, it can get too hot in the summer sometimes. 
    I used to live in Palo Alto & Menlo Park…….early to mid 70’s……fantastic times and memories.
    Used to hang out a lot in The Dutch Goose in Menlo Park….really great food and drinks.😎
  • Rob said:
    Hex said:
    Rob said:

I used to live in Palo Alto & Menlo Park…….early to mid 70’s……fantastic times and memories.
    Used to hang out a lot in The Dutch Goose in Menlo Park….really great food and drinks.😎
    "Hang out a lot", bragging again I see.