Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

A bit of Charlton history in California

RobRob
edited April 2023 in General Charlton
With all the bollocks we have going on at the moment I thought I’d lighten it up a bit. 

So, I was driving around today in my Austin Healey (as you do!) and I stumbled across this local subdivision of houses. Very close to where I live. The Charlton and Valley connection was the thing that got me. Too much of a coincidence? What do you think? The subdivision was built around 1948 so Charlton were at their heyday then. I reckon the builder was an exiled Charlton fan. Anyway, pics attached. For good measure I’ve also included a couple of pics of the Healey and a picture of the Healey keys. And some nice blue skies for you to enjoy. 

Comments

• Options
    Sod the street signs - I want that car - what a thing of gorgeousness - Italian style in terms of cars, nope sod off and take a look at what GB produced - sex on 4 wheels 
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Steering Wheel is on the wrong side!!  (The Bollox car mate!!!)
  • Options
    Lighten it up, my arse! You just wanted to bloody show off and make us all envious:( ;).
  • Options
    That car, wow. Would love to be in California right now.
  • Options
    Brilliant 
  • Options
    Spray the car green and do a Tears For Fears road trip. 
  • Options
    It's the area where Tom Hanks comes from 
  • Options
    Cracking car mate, they look so much better with painted rather than chrome wires. could have had an ice blue over white BJ8 for £20k in the past. Could have just about afforded it at a stretch but didn’t. Would probably need to spend 3 times that to get one now.
  • Options
    Is this in LA ? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fabulous Rob 
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    Is this in LA ?

Bay Area I reckon 
  • Options
    RobRob
    edited April 2023
    Thanks for the comments.  Yeah, I love the car. Owned it for about 18 years. Got it from the original owner with all paperwork including the original 1966 invoice. Healey Blue and painted wires. They never made them with chrome and any car that has them is an after market add on. 

This is the SF Bay Area. The East Bay actually. Yes, Tom Hanks country. 

This neighborhood really gave me a kick. And all the people who live there haven’t a clue about the South London relevance. I half expected to see an Addicks scarf in the window somewhere but I never saw one. Shame. 

• Options
    Rob , that key ring, is a thing of beauty, the cars not bad either!
  • Options
    Great pics. Lovely car!

Shame the weather looks so shite but guess you can’t have it all.
  • Options
    WHAddick said:
    Charlton Cir...is that Charlton Circus? Very apt for today!
    The doors fell off the car shortly after taking the photo.
  • Options
    I must pay a pilgrimage to this area when I come over to Oakland to visit my eldest son in October. It’s a bit of a coincidence but my youngest son’s partner has an Austin Healey Frogeye Sprite and is over with us on the trip. 
  • Options
    Great pictures.

It cant be too difficult to find out why the roads were named as they are. Must be on record somewhere as to who built them. Is there a local council/authority or archive that might be able to shed some light on it? Definitely too much of a coincidence.
  • Options
    Just looked it up on Google maps. Looks a rough area. All those swimming pools.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That sky!

That car!

You fecker!
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Rob said:
    With all the bollocks we have going on at the moment I thought I’d lighten it up a bit. 

So, I was driving around today in my Austin Healey (as you do!) and I stumbled across this local subdivision of houses. Very close to where I live. The Charlton and Valley connection was the thing that got me. Too much of a coincidence? What do you think? The subdivision was built around 1948 so Charlton were at their heyday then. I reckon the builder was an exiled Charlton fan. Anyway, pics attached. For good measure I’ve also included a couple of pics of the Healey and a picture of the Healey keys. And some nice blue skies for you to enjoy. 

Gravesend?....only joking, looks very pleasant and not to far from SF.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    Done the same.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Great pictures.

It cant be too difficult to find out why the roads were named as they are. Must be on record somewhere as to who built them. Is there a local council/authority or archive that might be able to shed some light on it? Definitely too much of a coincidence.
    I’m going to do some research. There will be records. At least to find out who the builder was. Local Authority offices are near me. I’ll drop by. Stuff like this is fascinating for me. 
  • Options
    It’s about 25/30 miles from SF. People commute from here. A good train system. The BART. (Bay Area Rapid Transport). 
  • Options
    "Pleasant Hill" sounds very ... er ... pleasant!
  • Options
    Yeah. It’s not very hilly though. 
  • Options
    Stayed at a Motel 6 just down the road at Walnut Creek …. In 1978 !
  • Options
    It’s still there. On Main Street, Walnut Creek.