Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Yeovil Town

In 2014 Yeovil were in the Championship, tonight they've just been relegated to the National League South. 

They beat Brentford in the 2013 League One Play-off Final and look at the difference now...Seen that Scunthorpe have also been relegated to the same tier, so I guess it could always be a lot, lot worse

Comments

• Options
    DDOUBLEE said:
    In 2014 Yeovil were in the Championship, tonight they've just been relegated to the National League South. 

They beat Brentford in the 2013 League One Play-off Final and look at the difference now...Seen that Scunthorpe have also been relegated to the same tier, so I guess it could always be a lot, lot worse
    It still can be, but hopefully not.
  • Options
    DDOUBLEE said:

Was just thinking the same. Shocked to see them so low and just goes to show how quick things can change.
  • Options
    Plenty of teams who were fairly recently in the EFL have fallen down to the 6th tier (NLS and NLN), as the NL is such a brutal division. If you're a struggling club, it's so easy to keep dropping.

Currently in the NLN are Chester, Darlington and Hereford, while York City only got promoted back to the NL at the end of last season
  • Options
    League One is our equivalent of Scunthorpe or Yeovil being in the 6th tier. They will be massive clubs at that level.

Luton , Orient and Stockport have all managed to salvage phoenix's from the flames of non league existences and re emerge stronger.
  • Options
    It's an incredible fall by both sides but more so for Scunthorpe. As recently as 2018 they finished 5th in league one (1 place above us) and had Ivan Toney on loan.

5th in league one to the National league North in 5 years is some going.
  • Options
    Sad about Yeovil. The father in law used to own a house in the village of Thorne, just to the North of the ground so went to see them play on occasions.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    they have been struggling for a while now but it was quite a fall in a space of just a few seasons. Remember them in 2019 beating Ebbsfleet away. they took nearly a thousand fans that day. 
  • Options
    I am hoping Tonbridge Vs Yeovil next season doesn't clash with an Addicks home game. Yeovil are a big club for NLS and their away trips should produce some bumper crowds.

It is sad to see a great club fall so far though - same for Scunthorpe. It puts our problems into some sort of perspective.
  • Options
    thetomahawkkid said:
    I am hoping Tonbridge Vs Yeovil next season doesn't clash with an Addicks home game. Yeovil are a big club for NLS and their away trips should produce some bumper crowds.

It is sad to see a great club fall so far though - same for Scunthorpe. It puts our problems into some sort of perspective.

I agree regarding Scunny but Yeovil have only really dropped one level lower than their natural home. I've only ever viewed them as non league. I see Wycombe in the same light and expect them to drift out of the league in the next decade. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I grew up in Yeovil and had a season ticket there for a few years, when they were last in tier two of non league, it was the ISIS Premier then, now the Vanarama National League South.

Poor ownership plus COVID really did for them, they ended up having to sell their ground, thankfully the local council bought it, but they've had chronic underinvestment for years, and survived despite a horrendous turnover of players. They have new ownership (just) so will see what happens there.

Now they'll be joining Bath City (who I now have a season ticket for with my daughter) and playing them for the first time since about 1995-96. Plus there could be plenty of other local ish derbies for them, Chippenham and Taunton if they stay up, Weston Super Mare, maybe even Truro City.
  • Options
    Thommo said:
    I grew up in Yeovil and had a season ticket there for a few years, when they were last in tier two of non league, it was the ISIS Premier then, now the Vanarama National League South.

Poor ownership plus COVID really did for them, they ended up having to sell their ground, thankfully the local council bought it, but they've had chronic underinvestment for years, and survived despite a horrendous turnover of players. They have new ownership (just) so will see what happens there.

Now they'll be joining Bath City (who I now have a season ticket for with my daughter) and playing them for the first time since about 1995-96. Plus there could be plenty of other local ish derbies for them, Chippenham and Taunton if they stay up, Weston Super Mare, maybe even Truro City.
    There was a young lady from Chippenham
    Who wore drawers with a very large rip in ‘em
    She let a waiter named Jack go in from the back
    Well bollocks it was better than tippin ‘im
  • Options
    It's an incredible fall by both sides but more so for Scunthorpe. As recently as 2018 they finished 5th in league one (1 place above us) and had Ivan Toney on loan.

5th in league one to the National league North in 5 years is some going.
    Agreed. Scunny are to me a "regular" league club - Liverpool signed legends Keegan and Clemence from there -  whereas Yeovil are the sort of non league club who might make the EFL, but not permanently. Especially when you look at the top 3 of the NL, who are all historically league clubs - Wrexham, Notts County and Chesterfield
  • Options
    Yeovil slide down the slippery slope .. or was that their old ground ?
  • Options
    Thommo said:

There was a young lady from Chippenham
    Who wore drawers with a very large rip in ‘em
    She let a waiter named Jack go in from the back
    Well bollocks it was better than tippin ‘im
    Just down the road from Chippenham...

There was a young girl from Devizes
    who had t**s of different sizes
    one was quite small 
    almost nothing at all
    the other was huge and won prizes

Shame to seem Yeovil drop down the leagues...I liked their beer tent before the game in the rain.
  • Options
    On the Yeovil Town forum there's a Charlton Athletic thread : "In 2006 Charlton were in the premier league, in 2020 they were relegated to League 1 for the third time in a decade".
  • Options
    I also went to the Yeovil v Brentford play off final. 
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    On the Yeovil Town forum there's a Charlton Athletic thread : "In 2006 Charlton were in the premier league, in 2020 they were relegated to League 1 for the third time in a decade".
    But on Matchday 2 on my Spectrum we are a top flight club forever!
  • Options
    When you follow football over a long period, it’s quite extraordinary how some teams fare.  In my lifetime (I was born in 82), I recall Notts County, Oldham, Bradford and Swindon all having stints in the top division and crashing back down again, same with Luton.  Then before that you can look at clubs who have come the other way in Wimbledon, Wolves & Wigan.  I know Wolves are a club with great history and founding members of the football league, but I believe they were mooching about in what is now league 2 in the 80s.  Same for Fulham.  When I was 11/12 my dad would occasionally take me over there in midweek.  I recall one game in the early 90s where I think they played Scunthorpe at home.  I said to my dad I wanted to stand in the away end with a mate and I think Scunthorpe won 3-1 or something.  

There were literally a handful of Scunthorpe fans all giving it to Jim Stannard, the Fulham goalie.  Look at both clubs now.  I don’t know if it’s conceivable, but I think this bloke at Chelsea is an absolute loon and way out of his depth.  You do wonder if one of the modern day giants could implode.  Probably not.  But then 50 years ago, would a Brentford fan believe they would be an established top division side and Notts County playing non league football? 
  • Options
    My godparents live in Yeovil and have been watching them for decades. Very sad, but they've been 2 steps below the league a couple of times in the past and if they get their issues with bad ownership sorted they should bounce back. 
    Thommo said:

I used to watch Bath City a lot in the 90s when I first moved to Swindon. Fantastic old-fashioned ground. Back then their fans saw Yeovil as the local rivals, despite hardly ever playing them. Do they still do that, or have Chippenham fully taken over as the object of ire/ridicule?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cabbles said:
    When you follow football over a long period, it’s quite extraordinary how some teams fare.  In my lifetime (I was born in 82), I recall Notts County, Oldham, Bradford and Swindon all having stints in the top division and crashing back down again, same with Luton.  Then before that you can look at clubs who have come the other way in Wimbledon, Wolves & Wigan.  I know Wolves are a club with great history and founding members of the football league, but I believe they were mooching about in what is now league 2 in the 80s.  Same for Fulham.  When I was 11/12 my dad would occasionally take me over there in midweek.  I recall one game in the early 90s where I think they played Scunthorpe at home.  I said to my dad I wanted to stand in the away end with a mate and I think Scunthorpe won 3-1 or something.  

There were literally a handful of Scunthorpe fans all giving it to Jim Stannard, the Fulham goalie.  Look at both clubs now.  I don’t know if it’s conceivable, but I think this bloke at Chelsea is an absolute loon and way out of his depth.  You do wonder if one of the modern day giants could implode.  Probably not.  But then 50 years ago, would a Brentford fan believe they would be an established top division side and Notts County playing non league football? 
    In the 30s Brentford, like us under Seed, were a top tier side.
  • Options
    Don't for one moment think it couldn't happen to us.
    It could.
  • Options
    Ahh Yeovil, the "wet" away game  :D
  • Options
    What happens if all the clubs that go down from the National League are southern and all the clubs that get promoted from the level below are also Southern, do a couple of the midland clubs swap from National South to National North?
  • Options
    Yeovil was always that club I had a soft spot for, but couldn’t really put a finger on why. Might have been something as trivial as liking their kit.

And that game in the rain is the best away day battle scar story I have to tell. Biblical.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    What happens if all the clubs that go down from the National League are southern and all the clubs that get promoted from the level below are also Southern, do a couple of the midland clubs swap from National South to National North?
    Pretty sure that's what would happen. 
  • Options
    Have you looked at the National South. I think the most northern club is Oxford. If they get through the playoffs, it looks like Braintree. 
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Yeah Wolves nearly went bust in the early 80s and had to be saved from liquidation. In consecutive seasons they went from division 1 to division 4. Then they signed Steve Bull and got back up the leagues.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Yes, correct.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    cabbles said:

In the 30s Brentford, like us under Seed, were a top tier side.
    Thanks Len.  Wouldn’t have known that.  Thought they were always a team that played in the lower leagues