Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Burton Albion | Easter Monday 10th April 2023 | KO 3.00 PM

Comments

• Bods64 said:
    Innis had a comparatively good game by his own admittedly low standards. Has a habit of marking fresh air at set pieces as in Burton’s 2nd goal
    Rubbish!
  • Croydon said:
    Did some in the North stand boo Payne off after his red card, sounded like it, not sure how he comes back from that.
    I couldn't work out if they were booing him or the decision. Definitely heard boos.

I'm going to try and balance some of the negativity to Payne from the forum tonight.. Can't defend the tackles etc and the ultimate card. But he does  try to change  games(Yes Ha !Ha! Did that today). I think I can say that for nearly every game he has got on the pitch with one exception.
    Tell me if I am wrong but I remember 2 positives in his short cameo
    1.Powerful shot skimmed off the bar
    2. Played a lovely defence splitting ball which put ?? through 1 on 1 with the keeper, about 2-3 yards too heavy.
    Maybe he is trying too hard, or is not good enough overall. But come on there were some good things there.
    1. Don't think that was his shot, pretty sure it. was Morgan
    2. Trying to claim an overhit pass as a positive is really a stretch!
    Yeh just seen the highlights and you're right but he made a good crossfield pass in the build up. 

You could say an overhit pass as a negative but just stop and think -how many of these passes have been played behind/between defenders this season? Very few/maybe why we create so few chances in games (over season, especially away).
  • Some bloke near us clapped him - hope it was meant sarcastically 
    A few near me started to clap him, but got told off in no uncertain terms by a couple of more vociferous fans, so they stopped immediately.
  • Some of our fans would clap a waterlogged pitch.
  • mendonca said:
    Too much midget chat today.
    Not enough Midget Gems. 
  • Leuth said:
    Should have been so much better and far more comfortable. We would really be in trouble without Rak-Sakyi's goals this season. Why oh why, do we spend so long playing the ball around the back? It ends up being hoofed up-field under pressure more often than not after seven or eight passes. We have to learn to play it out more quickly and spend more time in possession in midfield rather than defence. 
    Absolutely bizarre criticism. We distributed it really well from defence, very often to feet, but sometimes long to mix it up, usually with a specific target (so,not aimless). There was next to no unnecessary faffing. Our starting midfield ran the show. What game were you watching? 
    All of it, not just the first thirty minutes.
  • I'm pretty sure the booing after the sending off was for the referee, and not for Payne. 
    Don't think that was the case in the Covered End. Bloke a few rows behind me was even calling out someone for applauding him
  • JamesSeed said:
    Leuth said:
    Thought Innis was awful. Thought our wingers did very well as did Albie.

my major gripe was what was payne doing with that second tackle? he knew he was on a yellow then he does that shit. no excuse. 
    This is bait, right? I um I uh I guess I've taken it already. Damn
    watch their second goal back then work out if its bait...
    When the solid Egbo was substituted for the diminutive Kane we were vulnerable. Sure enough, the first corner they get they hammer it beyond the far post where tiny Kane was up against two (comparative) giants. Very poor organisation not to stick someone bigger there (Mitchell?). 
    Todd Kane is 5 foot 11 inches.
    I've no idea how he can accurately be described diminutive/minute/small/tiny? 
    Been through this already. He first of all looks smaller than 5'11" to me, and secondly he's relatively slight, certainly in comparison to Egbo. It looked like they were targeting the back post at corners after he came on, and he just didn't look very robust when defending them. Perhaps I'm wrong about his height, but even if I am, I still think he might lack a bit of physicality.
  • Sponsored links:

• Chunes said:
    Some of our fans would clap a waterlogged pitch.
    And go ballistic over an aerial display by a pigeon. 
  • Todd Kane's problem yesterday wasn't height, it was his pace. Couldn't keep up with their left winger.
  • JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Leuth said:

my major gripe was what was payne doing with that second tackle? he knew he was on a yellow then he does that shit. no excuse. 
    When the solid Egbo was substituted for the diminutive Kane we were vulnerable. Sure enough, the first corner they get they hammer it beyond the far post where tiny Kane was up against two (comparative) giants. Very poor organisation not to stick someone bigger there (Mitchell?). 
    Been through this already. He first of all looks smaller than 5'11" to me, and secondly he's relatively slight, certainly in comparison to Egbo. It looked like they were targeting the back post at corners after he came on, and he just didn't look very robust when defending them. Perhaps I'm wrong about his height, but even if I am, I still think he might lack a bit of physicality.
    I think that's a bit harsh if he's just back from injury. Not to say that he wasn't targeted yesterday nor that he didn't look less solid but given his lack of games he's more likely to be simply off the pace and perhaps a bit uncertain rather than it (necessarily) being a weakness in his game.
  • edited April 2023
    Bods64 said:
    Leuth said:
    Bods64 said:
    Innis had a comparatively good game by his own admittedly low standards. Has a habit of marking fresh air at set pieces as in Burton’s 2nd goal
    This is what I mean. What low standards? Under Holden he's been good. I cannot stand it when large elements of our support refuse to see what's in front of them - when a player is playing well, but has a reputation that can't be shifted 
    By low standards I mean all the previous “mishaps”that have beset him. He is still making errors but not so many! Yes I agree with you that Holden has improved his game but in my eyes he’s still an accident waiting to happen. Yes he has cut out a lot of previous defensive errors thanks to keeping it simple. However he doesn’t read the game too well and his positioning/marking needs to be better. Innis is not my first choice CB. If you want to see a decent CB then look at Hector. Hector is way better.  Hector is very good at bringing the ball out as is his very good distribution. Hector is most definitely my first choice an I hope we can extend his contract. 
    I personally don’t think the team can mount a serious promotion challenge with Innis in the side.We just ship too many goals for that. Let’s just stop shipping silly goals - if Innis isn’t the problem then for sure someone is!
    Just my opinion for what it’s worth as indeed you are entitled to yours. 
    I agree with Leuth here, except that I don't think it's large elements of our support, it's just a few. Certainly where I sit there are plenty of Inniss fans. I don't think he's made many mistakes over the last ten games or so. Certainly no more than any other defender, and I'd say possibly fewer. His last silly mistake was the backheel at Cambridge, but at least we were 3-0 at the time - it was more showboating than anything. And he brings very good aerial ability to the back line that others don't possess. Other teams will struggle to bully a defence with Inniss and Hector in it, for sure.
    As for Hector, he's at least a Championship defender, and it'll be a miracle if we hang on to him. If we do it'll be a huge boost. Compare Hector/Inniss/Ness combos over what we've had over the last two or three season and I think we're currently doing very well, although another injury will reveal the usual lack of squad depth, despite Mitchell looking promising.
    As for the silly goals, well I'd say much of the pressure comes from the fact that our midfield isn't good enough most of the time. There was a perfect illustration of that yesterday. Morgan, Fraser and Dobson had a very good first half, leading to one of the best 45 mins, for me, of the season. What happens when they changed the midfield? We lost control of the game and we came under a load more pressure at the back, but we hung on.

But as you say, it's all about opinions. My opinion that Kane is tiny/diminutive is just as valid as that of those that say he's 5'11 isn't it?  :D
  • Watching the highlights back the opening goal by JRS is brilliant- his control is amazing.
  • Chunes said:
    Some of our fans would clap a waterlogged pitch.
    I did against Doncaster. 
  • Rak Sakyi again showing what a talent he is. The nearest I’ve seen in a Charlton shirt since Paul Mortimer. Worth the entrance money on its own when he plays like that. Will be a Job to replace him next season

Campbell is like watching a young Shaun Newton with him getting his head down and running at the full back. His ball for the 3rd goal was excellent and he will get better the more he play’s especially with his distribution. 

Hector gets better every time I watch him play. Would be the first one out of the ones out of contract to sign up for next season. Championship level player 

Good game for the neutral yesterday but got a bit sweaty near the end. Can afford to make those sort of subs when there’s nothing to play for and gives Holden a good idea who’s good enough at this level
  • edited April 2023
    Just watched the highlights. For their second they did target Kane, but he was outnumbered 2 to 1. The two players around him might have been big lumps, which is perhaps why he looks small in comparison. 

Their number 5 (Hughes) was decent, and should have been picked up, but Kane was dealt with quite easily. See how small he looks compared to Inniss (ok so he’s huge). Kane was ‘contained’ by their number 2, Brayford, who is actually only 5’8”. 
    I rest my case, mi’lud. 
  • JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Leuth said:

He had his Cuban heels on
  • JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Leuth said:

He had his Cuban heels on
    Was the info on a Dating site?
  • Sponsored links:

• I take it we don’t have goal line technically at The Valley, the Lino didn’t signal for a goal and the ref gave the goal from a long way out. I’m not sure if it had crossed the line for their second.
    Seeing as the whole ball has to cross the line, I thought it probably had but not sure how the ref could be certain from where he was. The Lino was better placed and of course he could communicate via radio so maybe that is what happened. Probably IMO means you can't give it without the Lino.
  • I know Inniss' job is mainly defence, but I long to have a central defender that gets occasional goals from set pieces. I do know how many he has scored for us, but not expecting many
  • LouisMend said:
    What is it with these four takeaways after every game?

I mean, I can work up an appetite shoting or singing at a match, but I am surprised you're not morbidly obese  ;)

• m_2 said:
    INNISSGATE:

1. Convincing evidence has been unearthed that he held a birthday party during lockdown (Editor: but it was just his own wife and kids in his front room). Thousands of people all over the country are protesting at this jelly and ice cream bacchanalian knees up during lockdown.

2. International Criminal Court at the Hague has included Inniss along with Blair and Alistair Campbell for trial regarding Iraq war and WMD (Editor: but he wasn't born then!) But, someone on Charlton Life says it was his fault.

3. He has been accused of misgendering numerous centre forwards and faces a hefty fine and several months of community work. (Editor: apparently they are refusing to play against him, how low has this club sunk.)

4. Another Lifer has produced documentary evidence that Inniss is in fact Duchatelet's love child (Editor: obviously nonsense, it was the Spivs.)

5. The Labour and Liberal parties are boycotting The Valley until Inniss can prove he wasn't responsible for Brexit

6. The Chinese embassy refused to comment on reports that it wasn't in fact a leak from their Biowarfare lab in Wuhan that was responsibe for Covid. They have refused to deny or confirm reports that it was Inniss. But they ask us to reply on TikTok.

7. Latest attack ads from Labour claim that Inniss doesn't want sexual predators to be prosecuted or any tax cuts. Rishi Sunak (Editor: our very own Norman Wisdom impersonator) says that Mr Grimsdale will be pleased

8. A range of special totally black lensed 'I hate Ryan Inniss' spectacles has been released by Armani. Apparently selling well to Lifers.

9. Most of the country can expect heavy rain and flooding caused apparently by Inniss shouting too loudly at teammates who were not marking at set pieces over the weekend.

10. Spiegal says that reports that he is not going through with the deal because he's frightened of Inniss are 'Exaggerated'
    Are you his dad?
  • Ha! Nice one. No relation mate, just can’t stand the keyboard warriors
  • Oggy Red said:
    Did some in the North stand boo Payne off after his red card, sounded like it, not sure how he comes back from that.
    Where's the North Stand?  :)

Opposite the south stand.
    Of course....... opposite the 'Jimmy South Stand', which itself is opposite to the Cupboard End. I remember now.

• LenGlover said:
    Glad we won!

One point needed for mathematical safety from relegation.

What a season.
    What a cliff-hanger. One point from safety.

Do you know what, Len ...... wearing my legendary rose-tinted specs, I reckon we will just about hang on to our Third Division status. :)

• Had to look up bacchanalian.  If it saves you the time it means drunken revelry.

The Bacchanalia were unofficial, privately funded popular Roman festivals of Bacchus, probably arrived in Rome itself around 200 BC.

Inniss ancestor clearly pictured on the right after laying out the two up front.