Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Coaches not making it to game today

Comments

• R0TW said:
    R0TW said:
    Brownie29 said:
    Brownie29 said:
    My two boys and I were on the coach. 10:15 pick up from Eltham. When we were still coming along the A21 Bromley common at 11:15, the writing was on the wall. In hindsight the pick up times should have been much earlier but the convoluted route to Bromley didn’t help. Really disappointing.
     We have been using the coaches for several years now without any problems to be fair. I go for the coach because as a woman travelling with my two (young as they were when I first started using the coaches) boys, it takes away some of the stress!
    The joke is, I got a (presumably automated) email from the club the next day asking me to complete a survey on how my experience of the valley away service had been for my trip to Bristol!!
    I don’t expect to get my money back for the match tickets but hope that the coach money is refunded. 
    Booked for the Ipswich match so fingers crossed.
    You should get your coach and ticket costs refunded as a minimum 
    Would be nice but not holding my breath!
    Or learn how to drive.
    FFS, it was meant to be tongue in cheek.
    Let’s not get too precious.
    I get it was a sorry afternoon for all involved, but come on, if I was on the A21 at Bromley at 11:15, I think I would have called it a day.
    Very noble of you Brownie that you take your kids on these away events.
    Genuinely no malice intended.
    Wish you and your children well for forthcoming events.
    No worries! 
    Yep…… feel like we deserve to see a win at Ipswich to make up for the Bristol debacle……But then again, I’m a charlton supporter!
  • Brownie29 said:
    Brownie29 said:
    My two boys and I were on the coach. 10:15 pick up from Eltham. When we were still coming along the A21 Bromley common at 11:15, the writing was on the wall. In hindsight the pick up times should have been much earlier but the convoluted route to Bromley didn’t help. Really disappointing.
     We have been using the coaches for several years now without any problems to be fair. I go for the coach because as a woman travelling with my two (young as they were when I first started using the coaches) boys, it takes away some of the stress!
    The joke is, I got a (presumably automated) email from the club the next day asking me to complete a survey on how my experience of the valley away service had been for my trip to Bristol!!
    I don’t expect to get my money back for the match tickets but hope that the coach money is refunded. 
    Neither am I think I’ll wait until Tuesday and if nothing happens I’ll fire off an email 
    The email reply will be as late as the coach.
  • R0TW said:
    Brownie29 said:
    Brownie29 said:
    Or learn how to drive.

Definitely no Brownie points for you for that reply 
  • Apparently they have just left for Ipswich. 
  • I feel sick for the punters and especially those on 100% for the season before that fixture .
    Sometimes that’s just a once in a lifetime opportunity for some one to make .
    I did a whole season late eighties and a missed between 2&5 games prolly another half a dozen other seasons 
    I can’t imagine how gutting it would have been for that to happen .
    Pathetic effort from the coach company 
    anyone not using Waze in this day and age needs to liven up , yes it’s not perfect but I’d take it over a human most times .
  • edited April 2023
    I don't think there is any doubt the club will refund coach fares - no business could defend retaining them. Hopefully they will go further, but realistically there is no one with that authority on top of it over the Easter weekend. It's a horrible thing to happen to those affected but let's see how the club actually responds to the situation, before assuming the worst. 
    It's the sort of thing that you might expect a decent owner to Tweet about straight away. Not with the expectation that anyone would be at the club to action refunds over the weekend, but at least so that people could relax about it. 

I'm sure that any concerned owner would do this, and I think in the past Mr Sandgaard would have at some point in the past. Come on Thomas, It's a chance for some much needed positive publicity. I take it you're still interested in selling those season tickets that are advertised (probably not the Northampton ones though).

I agree that coach and ticket refunds should be the minimum. I'd think perhaps a little something to help rebuild trust and goodwill wouldn't go amiss too. Perhaps some sort of voucher for discounted coach travel in the future.
  • Agree with all of the above. Timings were tight for a normal Saturday but for a bank holiday they were at least an hour too late. Made it to Hook just off the M3 and turned back as ETA with the driver break was 4.20pm. I emailed the club Friday regarding a refund, no response.
  • I would imagine the club and the coach company will be discussions at some point today with who was at fault. 

First thing that needs to be done is a refund of coach fare and match tickets to all caught up in this. 

Then make sure you don’t make the same mistake again. 
  • shirty5 said:
    I would imagine the club and the coach company will be discussions at some point today with who was at fault. 

First thing that needs to be done is a refund of coach fare and match tickets to all caught up in this. 

I reckon the coach company will try to pass the buck along the lines of "in our opinion we allowed enough time.  The supporters accepted the departure times".

• Sponsored links:

• At a minimum the club should have issued a statement of regret on Friday, and that they would be investigating the circumstances and issuing further comment next week. 

The sort of standard apology, without immediately admitting guilt, statement most professional organisations issue in such circumstances.
  • shirty5 said:
    I would imagine the club and the coach company will be discussions at some point today with who was at fault. 

I reckon the coach company will try to pass the buck along the lines of "in our opinion we allowed enough time.  The supporters accepted the departure times".

At which point the coach company loses all future business, either because the club changes supplier or the supporters vote with their feet (or bums)..
  • Stig said:
    I don't think there is any doubt the club will refund coach fares - no business could defend retaining them. Hopefully they will go further, but realistically there is no one with that authority on top of it over the Easter weekend. It's a horrible thing to happen to those affected but let's see how the club actually responds to the situation, before assuming the worst. 
    It's the sort of thing that you might expect a decent owner to Tweet about straight away. Not with the expectation that anyone would be at the club to action refunds over the weekend, but at least so that people could relax about it. 

I'm sure that any concerned owner would do this, and I think in the past Mr Sandgaard would have at some point in the past. Come on Thomas, It's a chance for some much needed positive publicity. I take it you're still interested in selling those season tickets that are advertised (probably not the Northampton ones though).

I agree that coach and ticket refunds should be the minimum. I'd think perhaps a little something to help rebuild trust and goodwill wouldn't go amiss too. Perhaps some sort of voucher for discounted coach travel in the future.
    Half a pint of warm been on a Tuesday night in January, fixture to be selected by the club.
  • At a minimum the club should have issued a statement of regret on Friday, and that they would be investigating the circumstances and issuing further comment next week. 

The sort of standard apology, without immediately admitting guilt, statement most professional organisations issue in such circumstances.
    The club only needs to communicate with the 100 people on the coaches, which evidently it did acknowledge since I hear it provided codes for Charlton TV. It's not something it need to communicate with anyone else about, then or later.
  • shirty5 said:

At which point the coach company loses all future business, either because the club changes supplier or the supporters vote with their feet (or bums)..
    I’d be amazed if they held their hands up to this.
  • The travel is book through the club, so therefore the sales contract is with the club and it is they who will have to reimburse people and it's then up to them to argue the toss with the coach company. If it was the club who insisted on the start times then the coach company might get away without paying anything, it really depends on the arrangements between the club and the coach company. None of that should effect the fans as they only dealt with the club.
  • edited April 2023
    Brownie29 said:

if the club can sort out some youngster at the club their heating bill cos they stupidly left their under floor heating on for two years then surely they could reimburse the fans on those coaches their ticket prices plus coach travel. throw in a free coach travel somewhere else and then maybe you could say they have done ok by the fans. not great still but at least its something.  
    I don’t think the underfloor heating story was at our club?
  • @clb74 What are you putting your name down to run it for them?

You don’t know what you are letting yourself infor

Trains for free🌊
  • Sponsored links:

• Apologies if this has already been mentioned.
    Who chose the pickup times, the club or the coach company……was this discussed prior to the event, I assume so?🤔

• Thank you for your email, we are currently looking into this issue and will contact you regarding this shortly.

Kind Regards,

CAFC

this is the response to my email regarding refund

The club only needs to communicate with the 100 people on the coaches, which evidently it did acknowledge since I hear it provided codes for Charlton TV. It's not something it need to communicate with anyone else about, then or later.
    It's not just those 100 individuals that need to be reassured though. There will be others who might be planning coach travel to future games.

And what is the point of having social media channels and a website if you don't use them for such messages? 
    I'd say it's a good example a situation in which you don't need to use them, because the vast majority of fans are neither affected nor interested. The club knows who booked, it can communicate directly with them. It's hopelessly inefficient to do so using social media or the website and unless anyone can show it's more than exceptional event I am not sure what would be gained.
  • edited April 2023
    At a minimum the club should have issued a statement of regret on Friday, and that they would be investigating the circumstances and issuing further comment next week. 

It's not just those 100 individuals that need to be reassured though. There will be others who might be planning coach travel to future games.

And what is the point of having social media channels and a website if you don't use them for such messages? 
    I'd say it's a good example a situation in which you don't need to use them, because the vast majority of fans are neither affected nor interested. The club knows who booked, it can communicate directly with them. It's hopelessly inefficient to do so using social media or the website and unless anyone can show it's more than exceptional event I am not sure what would be gained.
    Beyond whatever the immediate comms to them is they could potentially derive some good PR maybe if they go over and above in compensating them in some way  at a forthcoming home fixture ?

I mean they could ‘host’ them in a limited way in a lounge / the posh seats etc. 
  • clb74 said:
    Best thing the club could do is put out a statement saying
    From next season we will be doing free train travel.
    Agreed, hopefully they can pay for my beers and match ticket too
  • If the club (coach company or whoever) fail to reimburse for either the travel or match ticket and people paid by either credit or debit card, I'd slap in a charge back to the card company and see what happens.
  • Seems fair enough, within levels of expectation at least. 
    Thanks for the update @Valianterith
  • Anyone going for Option A needs help.