Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST-MATCH THREAD: Bristol Rovers vs Charlton Athletic: Good Friday 7th April 2023: KO 3.00 PM

124»

Comments

• What a crap season.
  • Yes really poor so with nothing left to play for let's try a different set up and omit those players who just don't do it :or don't belong to us :

Hence :smile:

Maynard B in goal
    Back four Egbo, Elliot,Hector, Thomas
                    Claire, Dobson, Henry
                    Leaburn Kanu Payne

Can't be much worse that yesterday can it. Put more under 21s on the bench too.

• daveroan said:
    Yes really poor so with nothing left to play for let's try a different set up and omit those players who just don't do it :or don't belong to us :

Hence :smile:

Maynard B in goal
    Back four Egbo, Elliot,Hector, Thomas
                    Claire, Dobson, Henry
                    Leaburn Kanu Payne

Can't be much worse that yesterday can it. Put more under 21s on the bench too.

No Innis?
    He has been playing well of late and getting very decent players marks…..despite his ridiculous detractors.
  • Who's Elliot?
  • The Love Song Of J. Ryan Inniss 
  • Who's Elliot?
    C’mon Bob you’re old enough to remember Eliot Ness ‘The Untouchables’  although he’s injured at the moment 😉.
  • Well that's two hours of my life I'll never get back! Mind you, there's been a fair few this season. Rovers tactics were so transparent even I could see what their plan was. Despite having huge amounts of possession, our final ball, like so many games this season, was woeful. I forecast a draw before the game, which would have been the case if it hadn't been for Dobbo's strange handball. I can see Burton nicking it on Monday as they have a lot to play for whereas we don't.
  • Sorry wrong name ; team should read 

Maynard B
    Egbo, Mitchell, Hector, Thomas
    Clair Dobson Henry
    Leaburn Kanu Payne

Don't play loanees or those going out the door....

• Sponsored links:

• It seems like everybody is getting Covid atm but thankfully mostly not necessarily feeling that ill with it, so as I was watching the game yesterday it just made me think that we didn’t have an edge to our game and wondered if half the team didn’t also have Covid.
  • We desperately needed another wide attacker on the bench. Looking back, letting Kirk and DJ go in January left us a bit thin 
    And yes I know they were both rubbish for us, but Campbell isn't ready to play every game, which we're being forced to do due to the lack of alternatives.
  • daveroan said:
    Sorry wrong name ; team should read 

Maynard B
    Egbo, Mitchell, Hector, Thomas
    Clair Dobson Henry
    Leaburn Kanu Payne

Don't play loanees or those going out the door....

Henry has not signed a new contract, so could leave at the end of the season 
  • edited April 2023
    Get rid of Inniss but keep Clare and Payne? Do you even watch us? 
  • Wellred said:
    Was on one of the coaches that didn’t make sounds like driver made th right decision to turn around 
    Why didn't it make it was it due to to much traffic on the M4 ?
    Never actually made it to the M4 was on  M3 at Hook driver needed to take legal break for 45 mins still 90 miles away at 2.15
    Must have been hugely frustrating. What the hell were the coaches doing in the M3? why don’t they leave earlier? Why don’t they have a second driver ? I never get coaches, but surely these questions need to be asked 
  • Wellred said:
    Was on one of the coaches that didn’t make sounds like driver made th right decision to turn around 
    Why didn't it make it was it due to to much traffic on the M4 ?
    Never actually made it to the M4 was on  M3 at Hook driver needed to take legal break for 45 mins still 90 miles away at 2.15
    Must have been hugely frustrating. What the hell were the coaches doing in the M3? why don’t they leave earlier? Why don’t they have a second driver ? I never get coaches, but surely these questions need to be asked 
    Can only imagine the M4 around the M25 was shite - So they've gone down the M3, with the intention of coming off at Basingstoke, and using the A339 to connect further down the M4
  • It seems like everybody is getting Covid atm but thankfully mostly not necessarily feeling that ill with it, so as I was watching the game yesterday it just made me think that we didn’t have an edge to our game and wondered if half the team didn’t also have Covid.
    I don’t think half the team have covid.
  • We could do with one of these as our secret weapon, might struggle getting a shirt to fit.

• edited April 2023
    Dazzler21 said:
    se9addick said:
    Apologies to the Albie Morgan fan club, but just saw Rovers penalty again.
    Rovers number 22 has the ball out on the touchline, there's no danger, with Morgan "marking" him.
    He runs away from Morgan doing a one two, Morgan lagging behind and Dobson has to come across to pick up Morgan's man &  Dobson's handles.
    Morgan had a 6/10 game last week and all of a sudden people were piping up that he should be given a new contract, ridiculous. Returned to form yesterday.
    Yep pinning the whole bad game on Morgan again. Charlton Scapegoaters back to form. Reality is Morgan is in a shite side and if the wingers aren't looking to be fed those forward balls and Dobson is jumping in on every challenge whilst Fraser is reasonably anonymous the midfield will look shite.
    This is all true but highlights that none of our midfielders are the type who will grab the team by the scruff of the neck and bring us into the game. Thought Fraser would be that type for us but have been disappointed with that aspect of his game.
  • Sponsored links:

• Dazzler21 said:
    se9addick said:
    Rovers number 22 has the ball out on the touchline, there's no danger, with Morgan "marking" him.
    He runs away from Morgan doing a one two, Morgan lagging behind and Dobson has to come across to pick up Morgan's man &  Dobson's handles.
    Morgan had a 6/10 game last week and all of a sudden people were piping up that he should be given a new contract, ridiculous. Returned to form yesterday.
    Yep pinning the whole bad game on Morgan again. Charlton Scapegoaters back to form. Reality is Morgan is in a shite side and if the wingers aren't looking to be fed those forward balls and Dobson is jumping in on every challenge whilst Fraser is reasonably anonymous the midfield will look shite.
    Who pinned “the whole bad game on Morgan”? Morgan was rubbish yesterday, as he has been for most of his career so far, but he wasn’t alone. 
  • long trip for not a lot .. 1shot on target after scoring six last time out ? .. calls for a squad doping test/steward's enquiry
  • edited April 2023
    Dazzler21 said:
    se9addick said:
    Quote any post where someone pinned the whole bad game on Morgan. 

Also look at the stat bank. 
    His score is about right. 
    Poor, but not as poor as others.

Morgan has about 10 good games a season (and this is probably being generous).

Personally, I think we need players who have 30 odd good games per season if we're looking to be promoted. 
  • To be fair the pre-match promotional material for the match was spot on.  I don't easily praise the Sangaard's but...

• Missed the first half when some friends dropped by. Got some hoovering done in the second. 

Satisfactory.overall but not worth ten quid. 
    You had to pay 10 quid to do your own hoovering?
  • We could do with one of these as our secret weapon, might struggle getting a shirt to fit.

Also not much good if they can only play football in mangalaru, India.  The M3 doesn’t go that far
  • The reality is that many who pose comments just don't like Albie. A comment that someone was worth 6 the week before when he scored a goal and was indirectly involved in 2 others yet someone who makes a tackle is scored higher just proves that. Charlton fans on this forum always like a scapegoat and one bad game or one bad pass then that player is not good enough. Campbell was poor yesterday but got a lot of negative comments and he is learning his trade (Leaburn was just as poor by the way). 
    The negativity towards Albie starts with LL who never posts a positive about him followed by others. The manager was wrong in taking him off (supported by Steve Brown) as he was with many decisions against Bristol Rovers

You only have to look at the comments in the scores posted just to show how he is targeted by the Charlton Life faithful.

Saturday's game was one loss in 6 in which Albie has played a part in most. What happened when he didn't play in the previous 4 or 5? ........results wasn't so good was they. That's not say he's instrumental when we play well or we play bad when he doesn't play but it presents an alternative view.

One that I have is that we are better with him in the team than out plus I hope he is signed up again.
  • The reality is that many who pose comments just don't like Albie. A comment that someone was worth 6 the week before when he scored a goal and was indirectly involved in 2 others yet someone who makes a tackle is scored higher just proves that. Charlton fans on this forum always like a scapegoat and one bad game or one bad pass then that player is not good enough. Campbell was poor yesterday but got a lot of negative comments and he is learning his trade (Leaburn was just as poor by the way). 
    The negativity towards Albie starts with LL who never posts a positive about him followed by others. The manager was wrong in taking him off (supported by Steve Brown) as he was with many decisions against Bristol Rovers

You only have to look at the comments in the scores posted just to show how he is targeted by the Charlton Life faithful.

Saturday's game was one loss in 6 in which Albie has played a part in most. What happened when he didn't play in the previous 4 or 5? ........results wasn't so good was they. That's not say he's instrumental when we play well or we play bad when he doesn't play but it presents an alternative view.

One that I have is that we are better with him in the team than out plus I hope he is signed up again.
    Agree. Fraser on the other hand gets totally over marked a lot of the time. One good game in 10 and the odd goal isn't the sort of player you use as a pivot for a promotion seeking side. Same can be said of Clare, great athlete but no full back and don't see what he would give us that we don't already have in a mediocre midfield 
  • The midfield as a whole was poor on Friday, but as it was Dobson who gave away the penalty, I marked him the lowest of the 3.
  • I think Morgan is a good footballer but disappears in games too often particularly away from home where he often gets outmuscled 
    For a potential promotion team Fraser is only just about good enough to keep his place in the team although we would need a similar alternative and Dobson is essential which means that the 3rd place has to go to someone who helps to boss the midfield and preferably scored goals. We won’t go up if Morgan occupies that position 
    I remember Peter Varney telling me that when they created the League 1 title winning team that they started by identifying goal scoring midfielders which are essential. Hence Jackson, Stephens and Hollands.