Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Would you give a new contract into next season

124»

Comments

• Options
    sam3110 said:

That's if we're serious about promotion.

The side should be

Maynard-Brewer
    Egbo New New New
    Dobson Fraser New
    New Leaburn Blackett-Taylor

Fraser & CBT are not consistant enough to be regulars in a promotion pushing team. Squad players yes, but not in the strongest 11
  • Options
    I go along with Clare, possibly Hector, and Henry but out on a credible loan, and possibly Morgan and Innes.
  • Options
    I'd keep Bonne.
  • Options
    Just kidding
  • Options
    There are two answers to this question. If there is real intent by new owners then you can argue none. The reality of course is that we’ll need to keep some. Of those in the list I’d keep Clare, Hector and Henry. We’ll need a squad and those three fit the bill I think.
  • Options
    I’d hesitate with Innis as much of the good he does, an accident waiting to happen. Unsure.

I like Clare but agree he’s like the rest of them, Dobson & AMB apart, inconsistent. Unsure.

Hector, not been with us long enough but if and when fit could be ok.

The rest can go. As most have said it might be dependent on the quality of incomings?
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Clare - Keep, but would like to see him in midfield at some stage.

Inniss - Keep, he’s managing his body better and think with a manager like Holden, mistakes will be fewer.

Thomas - Release.

Clayden - Release.

Henry - Keep. He needs to start playing games and think he’ll be one we regret to lose if he was to choose to leave.

Morgan - Release. Think it’s time to let it go. He’s not progressed as we’d like, and he’s not the standard we need. For his career, a move to someone like Orient could be ideal.

Gilbey (Currently on loan at Stevenage) - Release. Signing for Stevenage.

Bonne - Release.

Hector - Keep. He has been solid overall, yet not played for about a year. He would be excellent in this league with a pre-season behind him.
    Exactly as I see it. Very surprised by the number who are just willing to let Henry go. (Although am I right in remembering he won’t sign a new contract? so could be an irrelevance anyway)

Now Egbo is back fit and the season is dead. I would like to give Clare a couple of games in midfield alongside Dobson and Fraser. Think that could have really good energy about it.
  • Options
    Henry, Clare and Hector - Yes.

No to the rest 
  • Options
    This is how I think things will pan out ie what Holden will do, not what I would do.

I'm beginning to come round to thinking Hector and Inniss will definitely get new offers. Hector looks the business and I think our biggest problem could be to get him to sign.

I'm no fan of Inniss but fairs fair, he's been very good this last few months and we would have missed him if we hadn't had him.

I also reckon  that against the odds, both Morgan and Thomas will get deals. I think Holden likes Morgan and will want to have him around if not a starter. Same with Thomas - a good back up across the back four.

If Morgan and Thomas carry on getting picked looks odds on they will get a deal.

Clare is a definite yes.

Bonne a definite no and I think Henry will walk rather than signing a new contract.

As I say, don't shoot the messenger. Not necessarily what I'd do but the mood music seems to be pointing in this direction.
  • Options
    That many new contracts would either suggest no significant increase in budget, or a focus on spending bigger but on a small number of players.

A complete clear out is nice in theory but it means more players to identify, convince to sign for us and is more expensive.

New signings everywhere to freshen things up isn’t necessarily the way. Could easily end up with two average players in most positions tied down to 2-3 year deals.

I’m expecting some squad players under contract to be moved on. Players like Payne were very much here for Garner’s style of play.

Has to be a balance. The key thing for me is finding a way that really improve us by bringing in a good number of stand out players who should step up to the Championship. That’s the main difference between Powell and Bowyer’s squads and other seasons we’ve had at this level. You don’t need 10-20 of them with millions being spent on fees, but the closer to double figures the better.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:
    That many new contracts would either suggest no significant increase in budget, or a focus on spending bigger but on a small number of players.

A complete clear out is nice in theory but it means more players to identify, convince to sign for us and is more expensive.

New signings everywhere to freshen things up isn’t necessarily the way. Could easily end up with two average players in most positions tied down to 2-3 year deals.

I’m expecting some squad players under contract to be moved on. Players like Payne were very much here for Garner’s style of play.

Has to be a balance. The key thing for me is finding a way that really improve us by bringing in a good number of stand out players who should step up to the Championship. That’s the main difference between Powell and Bowyer’s squads and other seasons we’ve had at this level. You don’t need 10-20 of them with millions being spent on fees, but the closer to double figures the better.
    Payne was signed because he was cheap .  
  • Options
    This is how I think things will pan out ie what Holden will do, not what I would do.

I'm beginning to come round to thinking Hector and Inniss will definitely get new offers. Hector looks the business and I think our biggest problem could be to get him to sign.

I'm no fan of Inniss but fairs fair, he's been very good this last few months and we would have missed him if we hadn't had him.

I also reckon  that against the odds, both Morgan and Thomas will get deals. I think Holden likes Morgan and will want to have him around if not a starter. Same with Thomas - a good back up across the back four.

If Morgan and Thomas carry on getting picked looks odds on they will get a deal.

Clare is a definite yes.

Bonne a definite no and I think Henry will walk rather than signing a new contract.

As I say, don't shoot the messenger. Not necessarily what I'd do but the mood music seems to be pointing in this direction.
    What is would do is write down what my best 11, of players which aren't here on loan, and when their direct replacements are. Assuming everyone was fit.

Anyone that was in the "best" team I would want to keep.  Then I would go through the back ups and see where, if anywhere I was happy with the two players I had for that position.  At a guess that's probably 2 or 3 at most.

And would offer contracts on that basis.  

I get the we are shit so giving any new contracts is accepting medicory but we risk chucking the baby out with the bath water when it's the likes of Kirk and Lavelle who are under contract that are much more of an issue than Morgan and Inniss, who aren't.

Answer to the OP, and for the reasons above, Hector, Inniss, Clare, maybe Morgan and possibly Thomas if Ness is out until Xmas.

That still gives you the space to bring in 8 or 9 "best" players which is what we seriously need.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Scoham said:

Payne was signed because he was cheap .  
    True, and it’s the case of most players in the last couple of windows but Garner managed him at Swindon.

He’s only going to be at his best in a team playing a possession game, he’d be no use in a physical and direct set up for example.