Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD : Charlton Athletic Vs Accrington Stanley : Saturday 11th March 2023 : KO 3.00 Pm

123457»

Comments

• Options
    We missed Inniss yesterday. Exactly the sort of physical opponents, who rely on set pieces and the aerial threat, where he would have thrived.
  • Options
    A striker has not scored yet in 2023. Last one to hit the back of the net was Leaburn away to Oxford on 29th Dec.

Since then we sold Stockley & brought in Bonne. Aneke is unlikely to play again this season & Kanu is too raw. 

All the above has been under Holden. And we've just given him a 3 year contract. 

And before you say anything he had a few weeks to assess the team & then a January transfer window.

Might not have been given any money but there must have been better freebie & loans than Bonne. 

Dont think we will get relegated but likely to finish in our worst ever league position. And that is at the same time as Millwall are looking to secure a play off place in The Championship. 

What a time to be alive. 
    And you're blaming Holden for our January transfer ins and outs?
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Leuth said:
    A word for Jack Payne. Have never seen a player so close to being really great, but always somehow narrowly failing to pull things off. He tries ever so hard too. It's very sad really
    Yes, another nearly man.
    He nearly does this and nearly does that, but only achieves a few times a season.
    A bang average L2 player at best, like a 14 year old trying his best in a man's game.

A bit like Morgan & Kilkenny.
  • Options
    sm said:
    I suspect with this bunch of players Holden needs to start with a simple 442 before he can progress to anything more advanced.  At present the team appears to becoming more disjointed with every game.
    At least it is a system they would understand.
  • Options
    Has Holden said what was wrong with Ness when he was substituted?
  • Options
    Has Holden said what was wrong with Ness when he was substituted?
    I haven’t seen anything, but after treatment he was ready to come back on and looked a bit disappointed to be substituted so I think he is fine.
    Sensible that no risks were taken IMO.
  • Options
    We missed Inniss yesterday. Exactly the sort of physical opponents, who rely on set pieces and the aerial threat, where he would have thrived.
    It's a sad day when we realise we've sunk so low that we miss Innis
  • Options
    A striker has not scored yet in 2023. Last one to hit the back of the net was Leaburn away to Oxford on 29th Dec.

Since then we sold Stockley & brought in Bonne. Aneke is unlikely to play again this season & Kanu is too raw. 

All the above has been under Holden. And we've just given him a 3 year contract. 

And before you say anything he had a few weeks to assess the team & then a January transfer window.

Might not have been given any money but there must have been better freebie & loans than Bonne. 

Dont think we will get relegated but likely to finish in our worst ever league position. And that is at the same time as Millwall are looking to secure a play off place in The Championship. 

What a time to be alive. 
    Yes, partly.

Scott said at the start of Feb that Holden wanted a smaller squad as some players wouldnt be making the 18 man matchday squad & therefore wouldnt necessarily be part of the week-to-week training. He was also here when we brought in Bonne, therefore must have been happy to have him.

Or was Scott lying and did Holden have no say in the transfer dealings.
  • Options
    Kap10 said:
    I dont think it is fair to criticise Holden these players have been crap under Adkins, Jackson and Garner they just are not very good.

Why Maynard Brewer signed for another 3 years behind that defence only he knows.

When Carl played occaisionally he had a day when his long limbs seemed to work opposite th where his brain wanted to take them, today was one of those days for Miles.

The last 5/10 minutes we could have won it with a 6 yard box touch, so why was Bonne 8 yards out throwing his arms in the air.

CBT speedy winger had a great game  CBT provider of passes and crosses was absolute crap.
    According to the ITV commentator, CBT headed against his own crossbar in the first half. Which was particularly impressive given it was down the Jimmy Seed end and he'd literally just put a cross in from the wing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I can honestly say it was the worst game of football I’ve ever been to ! We we’re shocking 
  • Options
    Great goal by Sess. Awful goal conceded. Accrington were the better side and more likely to have won the game. We are just mired in mediocrity....
  • Options

What a time to be alive. 
    Yes, partly.

Scott said at the start of Feb that Holden wanted a smaller squad as some players wouldnt be making the 18 man matchday squad & therefore wouldnt necessarily be part of the week-to-week training. He was also here when we brought in Bonne, therefore must have been happy to have him.

Or was Scott lying and did Holden have no say in the transfer dealings.
    Scott was obviously being economical with the truth and Holden was not going to speak out against the "consortium" that had just taken him from the dole queue a few weeks beforehand.
  • Options
    Spankie said:
    Great goal by Sess. Awful goal conceded. Accrington were the better side and more likely to have won the game. We are just mired in mediocrity....
    I think at times it's worse than mediocrity. On Saturday I was wishing there was a remote control so we could fast forward through to the (very rare) good bits.
    What a weird season it's been. It wasn't long ago we were beating Brighton and putting up a good fight at Old Trafford. What's happened since then?! All the fight and belief seems to have gone. 
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    I was at a non league game here in Spain. At the start of the season I'd have stayed home and watched the stream, but the football is just so passionless and poor I'd rather be at a game than watch ours. besides, the game here kicked off half an hour after the Charlton one, so I was able to sit on the terraces mesmerised by how bad Charlton were. Half time's didn't match so I saw the first 15 minutes of the second half, in which we seemed to be getting battered by Accrington. I did occasionally zoom bck to see how we were doing when there was a break in play in Spain, but it was just dire, and I was with a bunch of cheerfull and noisey supporters of the local team here, watching a gutsy 2-1 away win against the team in 4th place.

You get it sometimes in football - the club you love do everything to drive you away, as is evidenced by the empty stadium and quiet atmousphere at the Valley. There's only so much dross you need to endure before you take a mini break from it all. I'll be back on my sofa watching Charlton next saturday (and probably tomorrow night) but the sad thing is previously I'd have made space in my life to watch the Charlton match - now I fit them in around other things that look more fun. It's been an entire season of utterly drab mediocrity, and every sign it won't be improving until the owner give sup and sells up.
  • Options
    I didn't really feel anything positive when I read about Holden's contract extension and I'm a bit concerned that the early stability has eroded into nothing and there doesn't seem to be a lot behind it. He seems like a decent man, no question there. He clearly would rather play 352 but he's realised he can't with what he's got and I appreciate that flexibility after Jackson's single shape and Garner's singular style but I think it's far too easy to just say the players aren't good enough and shrug when we lose. It lets everyone off the hook. We are 16th in League One. Are we seriously saying that Lincoln, Exeter, Port Vale and Fleetwood wouldn't be improved by some of our first team players. I'm sure any of those teams would be laughing if they had JRS and CBT as wide options, or Dobson in their midfield. Would Shrewsbury we unable to find a place for Sessegnon? Would Exeter turn their noses up at Hector or Fraser? Sure, you can argue that it's the full combination of these players that's the problem, but the reality is these are ok players who we can't seem to be able to turn into anything resembling a reflection of their individual talents. Holden got a couple of players he wanted and Kilkenny hasn't looked good since his first game for us, Hector is ok but not helping us cut out the silly goals and Bonne seems to be some kind of blood pressure test kit in human form.
    It worries me. If we get a decent takeover with some investment, will Holden be able to shape what he has with additions or would he need a full 22 man overhaul and a few years to bed them in? Current evidence seems to say it wouldn't be a quick fix based on current evidence of him sinking to the level of the squad instead of raising them to his
    Excellent post.