Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD : Charlton Athletic Vs Accrington Stanley : Saturday 11th March 2023 : KO 3.00 Pm

Comments

• Options
    Nothing to say. Nothing at all.
  • Options
    Chants of “sell the club” are rather pointless and worrying. Who to? Since Richard Murray etc the club has been passed through dubious owners, hangers on with no enhancement of the club.
    Now the “ sell” is even stranger- sell what?
    Due to RD no serious assets are owned.
    the only things for sale are the squad of players- enough said. In old days a business valued “ goodwill”, this is the fans that are weekly dwindling.
    Thomas has demonstrated he is wealthy but not wealthy enough to own and turn a football club around.
    have we not yet learnt” be careful what you wish for”
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Croydon said:
    Leuth said:
    A word for Jack Payne. Have never seen a player so close to being really great, but always somehow narrowly failing to pull things off. He tries ever so hard too. It's very sad really
    Behave. What's the level of 'really great' in this case, because it must be different to the standard definition.
    I mean that he fails to pull it off every time. He's so close to being really great, but it never happens. He's Ben Reeves with less end product. Oh dear
    Thanks but with respect fuck Payne, you've made my realise that I clearly need to have a chat with Mrs Kips about the definition of being a really great wife. 
  • Options
    I see the guy who presided over the awful transfer window (and publicly endorsed its outcome) and has served up a pile of dross for a number of games now after winning a few, just got a new contract.. great to have a small squad is it really? It’s fallen away like a stack of cards since we missed the playoffs boat.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    There’s as much chance of Dean Holden being Charlton manager for the next three and a quarter years as there is of Lucas Ness being here that long. Nothing against the bloke but the announcement is about as meaningful as a government statement on stopping the boats.
    I take your point and given as it is us, it is more likely to be true than false. But there is a significance in it given that Holden was thought to be likely to walk at the end of the season and instead he has made a commitment to us. That wasn't expected by me and I am now loooking at what happens in the coming months. Sandgaard has been a terribe owner and we can argue which terrible owner should take us over next or not, but there isn't a law against him making good decisions and there never was, he just didn't make them, and in the meantime here he seems to have made one. Long may that continue although one swallow doesn't make a summer of course.

I'll call the bad when I see it so it is important to call the good even if it does feel a bit like hens teeth. I want to see a lot more of it going forwards as that is how we will get promoted.
  • Options
    Chants of “sell the club” are rather pointless and worrying. Who to? Since Richard Murray etc the club has been passed through dubious owners, hangers on with no enhancement of the club.
    the only things for sale are the squad of players- enough said. In old days a business valued “ goodwill”, this is the fans that are weekly dwindling.
    Thomas has demonstrated he is wealthy but not wealthy enough to own and turn a football club around.

Must be costing him a good few quid I bet he would love to offload us if he could
     if he doesn't  I can see him wanting to make some  cuts like moving us from the Valley 
    Like you say dwindling fans going by how everyone is talking ST will be well down something will have to give 
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    After a rubbish game like that I normally try to extract some morsel of positivity, but I'm struggling today. Other than Sessegnon's wonder goal I can only think of AM-B keeping us in the game with a couple of smart saves, and a couple of moments from Clare and Hector that showed flashes of ability. Sess made too many mistakes to give him MotM imho, despite the goal.
    I've been wondering if Clare could be tried in midfield, but as others have said, perhaps he's too prone to giving the ball away?
    Went with my Arsenal mate who's previous games this season were QPR and Brighton. He couldn't believe how much worse we looked today.
    Even our bankers, Rak-Sakyi and Dobbo were poor. Hopefully just a blip.
    Actually I thought Kanu looked better than Bonne, and I'd start give him more minutes ASAP. Campbell also shows promise, at least against a tiring defence.

But it's the midfield that look almost non existent.
    Despite my doubt about Clare I think we really have to try him there. It might well go wrong, but it's gotta be tried while we're safe from relegation (we're safe from relegation, right?). Otherwise he can end up as backup for Egbo.
    We need to use the rest of the season to experiment, and Holden's three years contract should make him secure enough to do that.
    I like Holden, he seems to get Charlton, he speaks well, but is he a good tactician? I think the jury's very much out on that. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Great point against the mighty Accrington Stanley ...
    Going by the stats they seemed to be the better team.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    expected it to be rubbish and it was - its just so predictable and so boring - a 3 year deal for the manager isn't a normal thing that happens when an owner is looking to sell which is a bit worrying coz we really really need a new owner - most entertaining thing about the game was realising cbt shares his name with acronyms for a dominatrix offering 'cock and ball torture' and a pysychotherapy treatment, 'cognitive behavioural therapy' - id sooner undergo 90 minutes of the first than watch any more of this shit and think i need the second to try and break the obsessive ritual of attending  - and of course the now obligatory hammer blow of being told millwall have won again as we trudge back up the hill - what a way to spend a saturday afternoon.  
    We could club together and sort out a session for you for our next home match and you can report back on whether it is a better alternative or not. Just a suggestion.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    expected it to be rubbish and it was - its just so predictable and so boring - a 3 year deal for the manager isn't a normal thing that happens when an owner is looking to sell which is a bit worrying coz we really really need a new owner - most entertaining thing about the game was realising cbt shares his name with acronyms for a dominatrix offering 'cock and ball torture' and a pysychotherapy treatment, 'cognitive behavioural therapy' - id sooner undergo 90 minutes of the first than watch any more of this shit and think i need the second to try and break the obsessive ritual of attending  - and of course the now obligatory hammer blow of being told millwall have won again as we trudge back up the hill - what a way to spend a saturday afternoon.  
    We could club together and sort out a session for you for our next home match and you can report back on whether it is a better alternative or not. Just a suggestion.
    ok, lets go for it - i'll have the cock and ball torture and maybe you and some of the other regurgitators on the takeover thread could try the behavioural therapy - deal? 
  • Options
    edited March 2023
  • Options
    Switched it off at 3.30 and sent a message to the Charlton Whats App group I'm on saying that was me done for the season. I can't watch any more of this crap. Everything about yesterday screamed "slow death". Empty stadium, appalling football, the once great Valley pitch an embarrassment, a 3 year contract for a manager who increasingly seems as clueless as the players and owner.

I don't see where it is going to end either. The same old spin coming out of the club "takeover progressing, want to get out of the division asap, don't want to loose money, conversations about the squad on going etc etc" All suggest that any new owner has bugger all money.

Make no mistake, relegation is a serious prospect next season.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    There’s as much chance of Dean Holden being Charlton manager for the next three and a quarter years as there is of Lucas Ness being here that long. Nothing against the bloke but the announcement is about as meaningful as a government statement on stopping the boats.
    I take your point and given as it is us, it is more likely to be true than false. But there is a significance in it given that Holden was thought to be likely to walk at the end of the season and instead he has made a commitment to us. That wasn't expected by me and I am now loooking at what happens in the coming months. Sandgaard has been a terribe owner and we can argue which terrible owner should take us over next or not, but there isn't a law against him making good decisions and there never was, he just didn't make them, and in the meantime here he seems to have made one. Long may that continue although one swallow doesn't make a summer of course.

I'll call the bad when I see it so it is important to call the good even if it does feel a bit like hens teeth. I want to see a lot more of it going forwards as that is how we will get promoted.
    He needs to be supported in the summer to build a strong squad, and if TS is still in charge he won't be supported. Of course that means we will start the season with a mediocre (or worse) squad, at some point we will have a poor run of results and Holden will get sacked. Rinse and repeat. 
  • Options
    When all I’m thinking about that game is , judging by the enthusiasm with which every pigeon kept  alighting onto the pitch, that the groundsman had seeded the pitch with a touch too much seed, then it kind of sums up the drabness of it all.
  • Options
    Was at the game yesterday. 
    Apart from our goal that was yet another instantly forgettable game.
    It's becoming a real chore to go at the moment and I can't wait for the season to end.
    Hopefully a change of ownership will restore my enthusiasm for next season. 
  • Options
    Adkin's fault, then Jackson's, then Garner's and now Holden's. The squad is poor, Sangaard the one to blame. 
    The football was better under Jackson and Garner, and that's saying something. 
    It wasn't. 
    The football under Adkins, Jackson and Garner (and probably Bowyer) has been fine for four or five games and then wham, it all goes down the tubes. 
    I don’t know why, but it’s possible that it’s nothing to do with the managers. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Switched it off at 3.30 and sent a message to the Charlton Whats App group I'm on saying that was me done for the season. I can't watch any more of this crap. Everything about yesterday screamed "slow death". Empty stadium, appalling football, the once great Valley pitch an embarrassment, a 3 year contract for a manager who increasingly seems as clueless as the players and owner.

I don't see where it is going to end either. The same old spin coming out of the club "takeover progressing, want to get out of the division asap, don't want to loose money, conversations about the squad on going etc etc" All suggest that any new owner has bugger all money.

Lose the next 2 games against Morecambe and Cambridge - and after yesterday I wouldn't put money on us not doing so - and we are in big trouble THIS season.

This team has no heart, little fight and next to no ability. It is a perfect mix for a slide into the bottom 4.
  • Options

Lose the next 2 games against Morecambe and Cambridge - and after yesterday I wouldn't put money on us not doing so - and we are in big trouble THIS season.

This team has no heart, little fight and next to no ability. It is a perfect mix for a slide into the bottom 4.
    We are lucky that Oxford have had an even more dramatic slide
  • Options
    I saw an old Arsenal school mate a dozen rows in front sitting with his daughter and Charlton wife. They’re greatest season for 20 years and he’s dragged to watch some park pitch pigeon display. No doubt he spent the majority of the game cursing his life choices and I genuinely thought I saw him wiping tears away at one point. 
    That was probably when he realised youd spotted him, having spent the first half trying to avoid you!
  • Options
    Hector, Innis, Thomas.....we've assembled a 'could have been very good' bunch of CBs who struggle to excel in L1.
  • Options
    Come the summer, Leaburn, Ness & Maynard-Brewer will probably be off.

The loanees will be off.

I'm hoping the rest of them will just fuck off.
  • Options
    I saw an old Arsenal school mate a dozen rows in front sitting with his daughter and Charlton wife. They’re greatest season for 20 years and he’s dragged to watch some park pitch pigeon display. No doubt he spent the majority of the game cursing his life choices and I genuinely thought I saw him wiping tears away at one point. 
    Tears of laughter I expect. 
    Arsenal played today mate, so he wasn’t missing anything yesterday. 
    Apart from football. 
  • Options
    Plus he trying to sell the club .. so what’s the point of singing sell the club