Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Favourite musicals

13»

Comments

• Options
    Sylvia by a distance. Catch it while you still can at the Old Vic.
    Chicago and Les Mis next best for me so far.
    I only started to appreciate musicals in the last few years so haven't see too many.

Disappointed by Only Fools but then should have known what to expect. 
  • Options
    Oklahoma
    West Side Story
    My Fair Lady

I'm sure I'll think of a few more
    The King and I
    Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
    Grease
    West Side Story (new Spielberg adaptation)
    Paint Your Wagon
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Don’t laugh but the recent tour of The Osmonds musical was excellent. I got free tickets and loved it so much that I paid to go back the next day to see it again @ Churchill Theatre, BROMLEY. Other than that, past theatre favourites are:

1. Les Miserables (I just love ‘Stars’ - live it’s incredible. Check out Philip Quast’s version on YouTube)
    2. Jersey Boys (seen it numerous times, uplifting, great music and story)
    3. Close to you (Bert Bacharach songs - fab at the intimate Menier Chocolate Factory)
    4. Miss Saigon (saw Lea Salonga in it back in the day before she became affected)
    5. Jekyll & Hyde (especially love ‘This is the moment’)
    6. Beautiful (so many great Carol King songs and an interesting story)
    7. We Will Rock You (great atmosphere and production)
    8. Sinatra: the man and his music (2015 show @ London Palladium) (cleverly produced in his, obvious, absence and some of the greatest songs of all time)

Movie favourites are:
    1. Oliver (everything about that film is wonderful)
    2. West Side Story 1961 (original film - the recent one didn’t compare IMHO) (Bernstein is a legend)
    3. Grease (probably my most watched film of all time)
    4. Mary Poppins (innocent escapism)

As for the worst:

1. Only Fools and Horses (cringeworthy and naff)
    2. Lion King (Overhyped and over-rated for adult viewing. Kids probably love it though)
    3. Wicked (forgettable apart from ‘For Good’ and the sublime Defying Gravity)

• Options
    The Book Of Mormon

Combines the musical theatre that my wife likes and dark/on the edge comedy that I like really well. 

Also liked Aladdin and didn't mind Charlie And The Chocolate Factory
  • Options
    My Fair Lady. Fantastic cast and songs. 
  • Options
    Our drama group has jut picked Sweet Charity for our next production.
    I’d never heard of it tbh.
    But I know ‘Big Spender’ as myself and my cousins used to sing this when we were kids in a very Morecombe and Wise way infront of all the adults 😳🫣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
  • Options
    Book of Mormon may be not just the greatest musical, but the greatest thing of any genre ever

For more traditional musicals Les Mis is incredible as a stage show

Worst I've seen, at least recently, is Back to the Future. We were so close to walking out at the interval but I suspect we caught it just after a cast change and they hadn't settled as everyone else seems to have loved it
  • Options
    Oklahoma
    West Side Story
    My Fair Lady

I'm sure I'll think of a few more
    Oklahoma (South Pacific) for me as well. Quite a lot of Gilbert and Sullivan esp Mikado
  • Options
    Not a fan of musicals on the whole, but don't mind some.

Oh What A Lovely War
  • Options
    Have just watched a couple of musicals which I’d previously watched but had them copied on telly to watch again.  One was Chicago, the other Purple Rain with Prince.

The finales in both are fantastic.  Chicago had Catherine Zeta Jones and Renee Zelwegger - I’m not sure whether they were actually singing but what a spectacle.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Have just watched a couple of musicals which I’d previously watched but had them copied on telly to watch again.  One was Chicago, the other Purple Rain with Prince.

The finales in both are fantastic.  Chicago had Catherine Zeta Jones and Renee Zelwegger - I’m not sure whether they were actually singing but what a spectacle.
    Both actresses sang all their songs in Chicago, as did Richard Gere!
  • Options
    Thanks Meldrew.  Enjoyed Razzle Dazzle with Richard Gere too by the way.
  • Options
    We went to see Back to the Future on Saturday.  I thought it was bloody brilliant, apart from some
    creative licence on removing the terrorists from the start of the original film!
  • Options
    West Side Story
    A Star is Born(2018)
    LaLaLand  
    We Will Rock you 

The Harder They Come - saw this several times at the theatre. Brilliant songs and fantastic atmosphete.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    We went to see Back to the Future on Saturday.  I thought it was bloody brilliant, apart from some
    creative licence on removing the terrorists from the start of the original film!
    Hold on - how do they explain it then? 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Hold on - how do they explain it then? 
    radiation poisoning from the Plutonium.  Slightly more child friendly I guess and slightly less racial terrorist profiling...
  • Options
    meldrew66 said:
    Don’t laugh but the recent tour of The Osmonds musical was excellent. I got free tickets and loved it so much that I paid to go back the next day to see it again @ Churchill Theatre, BROMLEY. Other than that, past theatre favourites are:

1. Les Miserables (I just love ‘Stars’ - live it’s incredible. Check out Philip Quast’s version on YouTube)
    2. Jersey Boys (seen it numerous times, uplifting, great music and story)
    3. Close to you (Bert Bacharach songs - fab at the intimate Menier Chocolate Factory)
    4. Miss Saigon (saw Lea Salonga in it back in the day before she became affected)
    5. Jekyll & Hyde (especially love ‘This is the moment’)
    6. Beautiful (so many great Carol King songs and an interesting story)
    7. We Will Rock You (great atmosphere and production)
    8. Sinatra: the man and his music (2015 show @ London Palladium) (cleverly produced in his, obvious, absence and some of the greatest songs of all time)

Movie favourites are:
    1. Oliver (everything about that film is wonderful)
    2. West Side Story 1961 (original film - the recent one didn’t compare IMHO) (Bernstein is a legend)
    3. Grease (probably my most watched film of all time)
    4. Mary Poppins (innocent escapism)

As for the worst:

1. Only Fools and Horses (cringeworthy and naff)
    2. Lion King (Overhyped and over-rated for adult viewing. Kids probably love it though)
    3. Wicked (forgettable apart from ‘For Good’ and the sublime Defying Gravity)

I agree with your top two. 
    1) Les Miserables 
    2) Jersey Boys
    3) Little Shop of Horrors
    4) Miss Saigon
    5) Oliver
    6) West Side Story
  • Options
    Anyone seen, Ain’t to Proud to Beg, about the Temptations?
  • Options
    1) Saturday Night Fever (don't know if classed as a musical but brilliant film and dancing sequences)
    2) Phantom of the Opera
    3) Les Mis
    4) West Side Story (1961)
    5) Jersey Boys
  • Options
    I forgot The Book of Mormon which I think is great.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Going tomorrow. Will let you know
  • Options
    Yes, went a couple of weeks ago. Really enjoyed it and would consider going back.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Also, Calamity Jane.
    Ahh Dorris...
    And that Scottish united midfielder,  every time I hear his name I slap my thigh ala Calam and burst into 'Mctominay, Mctominay, Mctominay' 🎶🎶
  • Options
    Film: West side story. I hate musicals as a rule, but this was so good, I forgot to hate it.

Stage: the book of Mormon. Although there are songs in it, this is incredibly funny.
  • Options
    Paint your wagon. 
    Tristan and Isolde 
  • Options
    Genuine question.
    Has anyone seen SpongeBob SquarePants the musical?

Up until last night I’d never even knew it existed.