Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Favourite musicals

Comments

• Options
    Hi James, I have fixed title.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Jessie said:
    Thank you Tim. I hope one day I'll travel to London and go to a Home game.  :)

Hamilton might be something for the younger generation I assume. It's great that your daughter is in amateur musical production. I read a few interviews with people working in the theatre in New York and it seems a tough business. But I'm always fascinated by the fact that in the Western countries children do plays and there are many relative social groups. I wish I had this kind of environment growing up. It must be a great experience to take part in one of your favourite plays and meet people with similar interest.
    Hi Jessie.
    In the UK for many schools part of the curriculum is doing Drama.
    That isn’t to prepare youngsters for working in the field, any more than the purpose of doing Physical Education is to turn out Olympic quality athletes.
    Both of those school ‘subjects’ (and most others actually) are included because they are seen to have wider value than being narrowly utilitarian.
    I once visited an English class in a school in Xian and attempted to do a simple role play in English with a student pretending to buy an ice cream. The dialogue was brief, but I was rather shocked to find that the student really struggled to handle the pretend, and the minimal bit of imagination needed.
    China is already a strong country, and would be even stronger if it nurtured more creativity amongst the young.
    The education here has been going backwards in recent years I think. It's all about the academic scores now and the kids all have immense pressure. Back when I was in school in the early 2000's the best teacher I had was a young girl who had just graduated from university. She was my English teacher in grade one of high school and the happiest time I had in class was doing mini role play in English with my classmates. We would have to come up with a performance every week. I was the best at the English language so I was naturally the 'writer' but I also took part in playing roles. It was a hilarious experience and I really enjoyed it. I don't know if they have this kind of activity in class nowadays but it definitely is a fond memory for me as a student.

TimAddick said:
    seth plum said:
    Jessie said:

Hamilton might be something for the younger generation I assume. It's great that your daughter is in amateur musical production. I read a few interviews with people working in the theatre in New York and it seems a tough business. But I'm always fascinated by the fact that in the Western countries children do plays and there are many relative social groups. I wish I had this kind of environment growing up. It must be a great experience to take part in one of your favourite plays and meet people with similar interest.
    Hi Jessie.
    That isn’t to prepare youngsters for working in the field, any more than the purpose of doing Physical Education is to turn out Olympic quality athletes.
    Both of those school ‘subjects’ (and most others actually) are included because they are seen to have wider value than being narrowly utilitarian.
    I once visited an English class in a school in Xian and attempted to do a simple role play in English with a student pretending to buy an ice cream. The dialogue was brief, but I was rather shocked to find that the student really struggled to handle the pretend, and the minimal bit of imagination needed.
    China is already a strong country, and would be even stronger if it nurtured more creativity amongst the young.
    Good point Seth.i am in Oz. Whilst most high schools do drama, for some it is more token. I have 3 daughters. All went to same highschool with prioritised music. Youngest asked us to change schools because she felt that drama group was poor. We managed to get her into another which was well known for it's drama teachers.
    Outcome, oldest daughter tends to be very narrow minded and does not easily tolerate other views. Daughter 2, can be timid and easily overridden by those in authority.
    Youngest who is 40 can talk to people of any status. She works as an advocate for disabled and mentally ill people. Deals with wide group of govt people including courts.
    I know people have different personalities but I am convinced her drama education gave her the grounding for her career.

I agree. Like Seth said in his post, doing drama while young definitely is good for character building and confidence boosting. I wish I had done it properly at a young age like all the students in your countries do.
  • Options
    Jessie said:

As ever, different strokes for different folks. Re Hamilton, I am well into my 60s and really enjoyed it. I had listened to the music quite a bit before seeing it on stage and just think Lin-Manuel Miranda is a clever songwriter.
    Yes that bit is quite essential I think. Maybe if I had got familiar with some of the songs beforehand I would find it interesting.
  • Options
    Jessie said:
    Jessie said:

As ever, different strokes for different folks. Re Hamilton, I am well into my 60s and really enjoyed it. I had listened to the music quite a bit before seeing it on stage and just think Lin-Manuel Miranda is a clever songwriter.
    Yes that bit is quite essential I think. Maybe if I had got familiar with some of the songs beforehand I would find it interesting.

Yes essential.

First and foremost I love music - and for me a staged production of a musical is just about a setting for the music. I don't particularly like musicals from a drama perspective, the sight of people talking normally and then breaking out in song is somewhat bizarre, which is why I refer 'all sung musicals'. Every musical I have been to see, and opera as well (which I adore), I have always extensively listened to the music beforehand.

• Options
    Jessie said:
    seth plum said:
    Jessie said:

Hi Jessie.
    The education here has been going backwards in recent years I think. It's all about the academic scores now and the kids all have immense pressure. Back when I was in school in the early 2000's the best teacher I had was a young girl who had just graduated from university. She was my English teacher in grade one of high school and the happiest time I had in class was doing mini role play in English with my classmates. We would have to come up with a performance every week. I was the best at the English language so I was naturally the 'writer' but I also took part in playing roles. It was a hilarious experience and I really enjoyed it. I don't know if they have this kind of activity in class nowadays but it definitely is a fond memory for me as a student.

TimAddick said:
    seth plum said:
    Jessie said:

Hi Jessie.
    Good point Seth.i am in Oz. Whilst most high schools do drama, for some it is more token. I have 3 daughters. All went to same highschool with prioritised music. Youngest asked us to change schools because she felt that drama group was poor. We managed to get her into another which was well known for it's drama teachers.
    Outcome, oldest daughter tends to be very narrow minded and does not easily tolerate other views. Daughter 2, can be timid and easily overridden by those in authority.
    Youngest who is 40 can talk to people of any status. She works as an advocate for disabled and mentally ill people. Deals with wide group of govt people including courts.
    I know people have different personalities but I am convinced her drama education gave her the grounding for her career.

I agree. Like Seth said in his post, doing drama while young definitely is good for character building and confidence boosting. I wish I had done it properly at a young age like all the students in your countries do.
    Jessie don't be hard on your country. There are plenty of others that forgo drama for academic results as the be all of everything.

My daughter is going to.find out if her theatre group have some way of putting full performances online. Cannot promise as there's maybe copyrights reasons. If it is possible would you be interested?
  • Options
    We need imaginative mathematicians, originality in science, creativity in technology and cooperation in the constraints of society.
    Things need not be exclusive of each other.
  • Options
    I was really lucky in that my primary school always did an end of term musical.
    So from the age of seven you got involved in the choir, culminating by eleven and last year, you got to be the main actors.
    By the time I got to the last year, we did a collection of all the ones that went before plus a bit of John Lennon as he’d just been killed.
    I was Burlington Bertie and also sang three of Lennon’s songs, my favourite being ‘Crippled Inside’.

A few of us got called back when the main teacher who organised the musicals was moving abroad. I was 16 by then and it was quite an honour. This time I sang ‘Om Pa Pa’ from Oliver and I loved it.

That really set the scene for my love of musical theatre. I was the Em Cee in Chicago just last year. 
    It’s probably easier for me to say what ones I don’t like. 
    That’s easy, there are only two. I literally can’t bare them.

Cats.
    Les Mis
  • Options
    Hamilton (by a country mile)
    Dreamgirls
    Five Guys Named Moe
    West Side Story
    Once On This Island

Seeing Sylvia soon which has had good reviews, so hopeful for that
  • Options
    There is only one for me: Singin' in the Rain. Not only the best musical but one of the best films ever made - definitely in my top 10 (the only musical that would be in my top 10). Honorable mentions for My Fair Lady and West Side Story. Worst musical I have ever seen is Mama Mia - two hours of my life I will never get back!
  • Options
    I have a suspension of disbelief issue with musicals. It just doesn't work for me that the characters all pretend like they didn't just bust out a song. 

That said, because my sister watched Grease pretty much every day of my childhood, it gets a pass. If I had to watch a musical, it would be Grease. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Carousel - am/dram production , Loughton - all three nights sold out weeks ahead
     Music phenomenal, storyline weak , enthusiasm on and off stage electric. Brightened up January weekend.
  • Options
     1961 West Side Story. 
    I know I went to see this as a kid with the family, probably the same time as you.
  • Options
    Not a fan of musicals, can’t believe so many are but I did like, The Jersey Boys.

As well as the Rocky Horror Picture Show.
  • Options
    What did people think of Schmigadoon on AppleTV?

Not a big fan of musicals so I wasn’t exactly the target audience but I enjoyed it.
    very cheesy, very knowing and obvious…..but an easy watch.
  • Options
    The Book of Mormon.
  • Options
    My brother scored tickets for My Fair Lady on stage in the West End in the 1950s when the show was booked out over a year ahead.  It starred Julie Andrews and Rex Harrison and the song On The Street Where You Live was top of the hit parade ! and covered by countless artists.

Someone else mentioned the stage version of Cabaret which we saw in New York.  So good.  When the table lamp came on onstage so too would our lamps in the centre of audience tables.  We sat very close to the front and I recall changing seats so as not to be accessible if audience participation was required (which it was).
  • Options
    My brother scored tickets for My Fair Lady on stage in the West End in the 1950s when the show was booked out over a year ahead.  It starred Julie Andrews and Rex Harrison and the song On The Street Where You Live was top of the hit parade ! and covered by countless artists.

Someone else mentioned the stage version of Cabaret which we saw in New York.  So good.  When the table lamp came on onstage so too would our lamps in the centre of audience tables.  We sat very close to the front and I recall changing seats so as not to be accessible if audience participation was required (which it was).
    AAAAARRRGH ! 

We were gifted 2 tickets for Cabaret for my birthday later this month & were gobsmacked to realise we'll be seated at a table close to "the action" ! SO lucky ! 

However, your post has made us rather nervous....

Could you please elaborate on the audience participation aspect of your evening ? 

Mr F is tone deaf & has 2 left feet and I'm no Darcy Bussell ! 
  • Options
    Yes Fanny. Certainly.  Midway through the second half a painted up member of the cast came through the audience and dragged a “volunteer” up on stage.  We had a table just under the stage and, plied with food and wine I guess we were almost ready for anything.  It’s Mr F who should be worried Fanny, not you! 😄
  • Options
    if anyone says Cats, they are fucking liars. 

It is the biggest pile of shit I have ever watched in a professional setting. Same goes for the recent film. 
  • Options
    Yes Fanny. Certainly.  Midway through the second half a painted up member of the cast came through the audience and dragged a “volunteer” up on stage.  We had a table just under the stage and, plied with food and wine I guess we were almost ready for anything.  It’s Mr F who should be worried Fanny, not you! 😄
    Err, dragged a volunteer up on stage for what purpose  ?  ( Fanny asks with a feeling of dread ....)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well singing and just to be made fun of really.  Have a couple of drinks first Fanny.  You’ll have a great evening I’m sure.
  • Options
    Starlight Express  ticked all boxes . 'Trains' on roller skates coming into the audience. 
    Only Fools and Horses has some good musical numbers
  • Options
    Irrespective of how good or bad one thinks of musicals. Sometimes just one piece stands out above others. My favourite is by Cold Porter from Kiss me Kate. It is Brush up your Shakespeare. I had seen the film version on TV 
  • Options
    Something went wrong.I later saw a stage version and discovered the film version was cleaned up as it was considered to risque
    Here is good link. Hope it works link.https://youtu.be/XJIpp2Jj8AQ

• Options
    Saw some great ones last year... Back to the Future, Book of Mormon, Hamilton, but all were beaten hands down by 'Come From Away'. My definite favourite.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Theatre buffs, try this:

https://centraltickets.tixculture.com/london/category/london-theatre-week?page=4&configure%5Bfilters%5D=%28object_type%3APRD%29%20AND%20NOT%20affiliate_blacklist%3Acentraltickets%20AND%20%28visible_ends%20%3D%200%20OR%20visible_ends%20%3E%201678505074%29%20AND%20%28%28visible_starts%20%3D%200%20OR%20visible_starts%20%3C%201678505074%29%20OR%20%28visible_starts_override.centraltickets%20%3C%201678505074%29%29%20AND%20NOT%20object_sub_type%3Agvc%20AND%20%28native_id%3A302%20OR%20native_id%3A24338%20OR%20native_id%3A23585%20OR%20native_id%3A24388%20OR%20native_id%3A313%20OR%20native_id%3A22396%20OR%20native_id%3A287%20OR%20native_id%3A8547%20OR%20native_id%3A18613%20OR%20native_id%3A21176%20OR%20native_id%3A305%20OR%20native_id%3A20130%20OR%20native_id%3A304%20OR%20native_id%3A26450%20OR%20native_id%3A300%20OR%20native_id%3A308%20OR%20native_id%3A25388%20OR%20native_id%3A26469%20OR%20native_id%3A27637%20OR%20native_id%3A25504%20OR%20native_id%3A26524%20OR%20native_id%3A24908%20OR%20native_id%3A27116%20OR%20native_id%3A14834%20OR%20native_id%3A24201%20OR%20native_id%3A24125%20OR%20native_id%3A333%20OR%20native_id%3A22661%20OR%20native_id%3A27150%20OR%20native_id%3A26643%20OR%20native_id%3A26891%20OR%20native_id%3A25596%20OR%20native_id%3A14414%20OR%20native_id%3A23760%20OR%20native_id%3A26695%20OR%20native_id%3A26701%20OR%20native_id%3A27277%20OR%20native_id%3A27103%20OR%20native_id%3A345%20OR%20native_id%3A25334%20OR%20native_id%3A27264%20OR%20native_id%3A27696%20OR%20native_id%3A27639%20OR%20native_id%3A26430%20OR%20native_id%3A27028%20OR%20native_id%3A27706%20OR%20native_id%3A27727%20OR%20native_id%3A27086%20OR%20native_id%3A27067%20OR%20native_id%3A27654%20OR%20native_id%3A26416%20OR%20native_id%3A26887%20OR%20native_id%3A27289%20OR%20native_id%3A27655%20OR%20native_id%3A25895%20OR%20native_id%3A27667%20OR%20native_id%3A27673%20OR%20native_id%3A24473%20OR%20native_id%3A26758%20OR%20native_id%3A27453%20OR%20native_id%3A27079%20OR%20native_id%3A27597%20OR%20native_id%3A27625%20OR%20native_id%3A27084%20OR%20native_id%3A27670%20OR%20native_id%3A27701%20OR%20native_id%3A27638%20OR%20native_id%3A25648%20OR%20native_id%3A27591%20OR%20native_id%3A27367%20OR%20native_id%3A26884%29%20AND%20price_from_sort%20%3E%200%20AND%20location_id%3A%202&configure%5BhitsPerPage%5D=
  • Options
    TELTEL
    edited March 2023
    They are not two words that go together in my vocabulary. 

Someone well meaning bought tickets for Hamilton.... absolutely hated it. 

Saying that and being brutally honest with them, they obviously didn't listen as the next Christmas they gave us tickets for some 9/11 airport musical. We promptly handed the gift back. 

Alternatively, I don't mind the occasional well known opera such as The Pearl Fishers, but wouldn't go out of my way to buy tickets. But I do enjoy costume ballet ( not traditional tutu style ballet) ... used to go often when I was younger but seldom  since I moved here . 
  • Options
    TimAddick said:
    Jessie said:
    seth plum said:
    Jessie said:

Hi Jessie.

TimAddick said:
    seth plum said:
    Jessie said:

Hi Jessie.

Jessie don't be hard on your country. There are plenty of others that forgo drama for academic results as the be all of everything.

My daughter is going to.find out if her theatre group have some way of putting full performances online. Cannot promise as there's maybe copyrights reasons. If it is possible would you be interested?
    That would be nice. I've noticed before that there are a lot of full pro-shot shows on the internet by various groups/production companies. Best of luck with your daughter's work! :)
  • Options
    Jessie said:
    TimAddick said:
    Jessie said:
    seth plum said:
    Jessie said:

Hi Jessie.

TimAddick said:
    seth plum said:
    Jessie said:

Hi Jessie.

That would be nice. I've noticed before that there are a lot of full pro-shot shows on the internet by various groups/production companies. Best of luck with your daughter's work! :)
    My daughter has confirmed that there are copies made of their performances, they are not allowed for public consumption due to copyright by the originators. Shame really. Last year I saw Kinky Boots and wicked.
    She has suggested digital theatre which is a subscription site. 100£ (831 cy) pa.

• Options
    Oliver Twist (my favourite)
    West side story (the old version- also my favourite)

One from the heart (if it passes as a musical then 2nd favourite)