Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Somethings Got To Change Thomas?

Comments

• Options
    ads said:
    Perhaps we should vocalise our feelings on Saturday.
    Please can we not. Sandgaard is a god compared to some of the previous owners.
    That's a low bar though isn't it
           There is always one 🤣🤣🤣👎👎
  • Options

I agree with you. There are a few  ancedotes I will share.

When we were in the Prem there was an article about us (think it was the guardian), in which the journalist described us as an unfashionable club.that really riled. What he was implying was we were not  Manu or Arsenal.

In 2002 I went to the largest sports shop in Melbourne Australia. Plenty of football shirts for Barcelona, Juventus etc. Lots of the big prem clubs but non for CAFC.
    A sales assistant asked if he could help. When I asked for a Charlton shirt. He said he had never heard of us. I did buy 2 shirts when I visited UK in 2003.

Last year I was listening to our ABC (like BBC). There main football commentator was talking to a guest commentator who was asked if he followed a club in UK. Answer was Charlton athletic. Response was,never heard of them are they in the premiership. This was coming from a so called expert.

Unfortunately we are doomed to mediocracy unless some multi billionaire is happy to spend big, get us to prem, get us into Europe and consistently finish top four.
    If that happens then will will cease to be unfashionable with lots of phoney plastic glory seeking fans. Cannot ever seeing it happen though.

Oddly enough I've had the opposite experience here around Sydney. 

People always ask me who my team is and invariably they say oh yeah they were in the Prem or, I remember Alan Curbishley. 

Even lately whilst doing a stint of airport runs and Uber work, people commented on the club badge and surprisingly, many even knew we were in the third division and about the troubles with owners. 

Yeah you're never going to get Rebel sports sticking shirts outside of the top 6 but that can be said of sports shops in general no matter where you are. 

Back on topic, of course something has to change. 

The ownership has to change. 

Our Danish medicine man will only continue to blunder his way onwards unless we get the right management team in. 

Until such time, just expect to see much of the same thing repeated over and over. 

Nothing to be done except wait and hope. 
  • Options
    1968CAFC said:
    I think it’s so sad that our wonderful historic Football Club seems to attract Egotistical wankers with no serious financial structure.
    his idea or Masterplan about running our Club
    is equal to his Musical prawese…F—King Zero 👎👎

Prawase Wasi (Thai: ประเวศ วะสี; RTGSPrawet Wasi, born 1931) is a Thai haematologist, political actor and public intellectual. A highly influential figure, his works range from thalassaemia-related research and helping develop Thailand's healthcare systems to initiating and backing the 1997 Constitution of Thailand. He received the Ramon Magsaysay Award for government service in 1981.

Born in Kanchanaburi Province, Prawase graduated medicine from Siriraj Hospital and undertook postgraduate studies at University of Colorado and London University. He returned to teach as a professor at Siriraj (under Mahidol University, where he became vice president), publishing over 100 research articles, as well as advocating for rural public health development. He was indirectly active in politics, and wrote on political reform, civil society and social change. A liberal royalist, he based much of his writings on Buddhist philosophy. He promoted democratic decentralization, and supported the establishment of various non-governmental organizations. He chaired the Democracy Development Committee, which led to the drafting of the 1997 constitution, and successfully pushed for its adoption.[1][2][3][4]

or did you mean prowess ?

• Options
    TEL said:

When we were in the Prem there was an article about us (think it was the guardian), in which the journalist described us as an unfashionable club.that really riled. What he was implying was we were not  Manu or Arsenal.

In 2002 I went to the largest sports shop in Melbourne Australia. Plenty of football shirts for Barcelona, Juventus etc. Lots of the big prem clubs but non for CAFC.
    A sales assistant asked if he could help. When I asked for a Charlton shirt. He said he had never heard of us. I did buy 2 shirts when I visited UK in 2003.

Last year I was listening to our ABC (like BBC). There main football commentator was talking to a guest commentator who was asked if he followed a club in UK. Answer was Charlton athletic. Response was,never heard of them are they in the premiership. This was coming from a so called expert.

Unfortunately we are doomed to mediocracy unless some multi billionaire is happy to spend big, get us to prem, get us into Europe and consistently finish top four.
    If that happens then will will cease to be unfashionable with lots of phoney plastic glory seeking fans. Cannot ever seeing it happen though.

People always ask me who my team is and invariably they say oh yeah they were in the Prem or, I remember Alan Curbishley. 

Even lately whilst doing a stint of airport runs and Uber work, people commented on the club badge and surprisingly, many even knew we were in the third division and about the troubles with owners. 

Yeah you're never going to get Rebel sports sticking shirts outside of the top 6 but that can be said of sports shops in general no matter where you are. 

Our Danish mediocre man will only continue to blunder his way onwards unless we get the right management team in. 

Until such time, just expect to see much of the same thing repeated over and over. 

• Options
    Fumbluff said:
    TEL said:

Our Danish mediocre man will only continue to blunder his way onwards unless we get the right management team in. 

Mediocre? 

Incompetent more like. 
  • Options
    Any chance someone can put the apostrophe in the thread title? I can’t be the only one it’s annoying.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A God who has taken us to our worst league position?? How do you work that out?. Even Duchatelet oversaw promotion.
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    A God who has taken us to our worst league position?? How do you work that out?. Even Duchatelet oversaw promotion.
    Dont give him any praise for that...

That was a fluke which he stumbled upon because he put an inexperienced bloke in charge, an appointment no one was overly happy with to begin with because the general consensus was that Bowyer would be another flop.

Roland left us with massive amounts of work to do, as that bench on the opening day against Sunderland was god awful, we lost because we couldnt make subs... Didnt sign a backup left-back so left us unbalanced between Page being injured, and Purrington signing.

Oh not to mention he was stupid enough to not give Grant a new contract after his Crawley loan (same with running down Aribo's Contract), and then tried to hamstring us by selling Grant in January and bringing in the worst replacement.
    It wasn't so much Bowyer as the fact he accidentally signed us a Championship-level midfield tbf
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    Any chance someone can put the apostrophe in the thread title? I can’t be the only one it’s annoying.
    If we're occupying pedants' corner we have to concede that, as presented, "Somethings Got To Change Thomas?" could be a newspaper style headline and in fact is lacking a verb intentionally.
    It works equally well as - something( ha)s got to change OR - somethings (have) got to change

Almost as if the whole thing is rhetorical

• Options
    Southbank said:

That was a fluke which he stumbled upon because he put an inexperienced bloke in charge, an appointment no one was overly happy with to begin with because the general consensus was that Bowyer would be another flop.

Roland left us with massive amounts of work to do, as that bench on the opening day against Sunderland was god awful, we lost because we couldnt make subs... Didnt sign a backup left-back so left us unbalanced between Page being injured, and Purrington signing.

Oh not to mention he was stupid enough to not give Grant a new contract after his Crawley loan (same with running down Aribo's Contract), and then tried to hamstring us by selling Grant in January and bringing in the worst replacement.
    Yes, but didn’t he oversee our promotion back to the Championship. That season we had brought in Bielik, Cullen & Bauer, for example, certainly Championship level players to bolster our squad. And, at the start of the following season he brought in Gallagher. The past two or three years we’ve brought in the likes of DJ, Penney, McGrandles, Clare, Gilbey, Kirk, Kilkenny, Fraser, Stockley, Payne, CBT and Bonne. I would argue they are all barely L1 standard at best. You only get what you pay for and Sandgaard has consistently aimed at a lower level than is needed to get out of L1. But he has put a spin on it so we were suckered  into the rhetoric. I would argue that Duchatelet aimed higher than that. He did try to balance the books in other ways but when it came down to player recruitment I think Gallen had more to work with. 
  • Options
    Rob said:
    Southbank said:

Yes, but didn’t he oversee our promotion back to the Championship. That season we had brought in Bielik, Cullen & Bauer, for example, certainly Championship level players to bolster our squad. And, at the start of the following season he brought in Gallagher. The past two or three years we’ve brought in the likes of DJ, Penney, McGrandles, Clare, Gilbey, Kirk, Kilkenny, Fraser, Stockley, Payne, CBT and Bonne. I would argue they are all barely L1 standard at best. You only get what you pay for and Sandgaard has consistently aimed at a lower level than is needed to get out of L1. But he has put a spin on it so we were suckered  into the rhetoric. I would argue that Duchatelet aimed higher than that. He did try to balance the books in other ways but when it came down to player recruitment I think Gallen had more to work with. 
    The point that the lot Thomas has brought in were, in most cases, more expensive than the ones Roland signed.

We hadn't spent a substantial on a player for nearly 3 years when we last went up.
  • Options
    Was that because his son was driving things then rather than Gallen? Seems like a lot of shit was bought for a lot of money. 
  • Options
    Southbank said:

Its not about praise for Duchatelet. But a response to the idea above that Sandgaard has somehow been better. The only difference I can see is that he has brought no success to the club at all, unlike the previous gangster owners.
  • Options
    You have to take into the account the changes in the transfer market since Bowyer was in charge. Championship teams can no longer pick up relatively cheap continental players anymore, so are snapping up any even vaguely promising prem loans and anybody with a modicum of success in L1. That leaves league one clubs looking in a very different shop to 3 years ago.

Yes, our transfer dealing haven't been as good, but it is a vastly more challenging environment to now work in. That doesn't preclude us also not being very good within that market, but it's only fair to acknowledge that it's unfair to compare transfer dealing 3+ years ago with what is achievable now.
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    JaShea99 said:
    If we're occupying pedants' corner we have to concede that, as presented, "Somethings Got To Change Thomas?" could be a newspaper style headline and in fact is lacking a verb intentionally.
    It works equally well as - something( ha)s got to change OR - somethings (have) got to change

Yeah the whole thing reads like a 7 year old wrote it, but pick your battles and all that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    JaShea99 said:

Too many teachers on this thread 🙄
  • Options
    You have to take into the account the changes in the transfer market since Bowyer was in charge. Championship teams can no longer pick up relatively cheap continental players anymore, so are snapping up any even vaguely promising prem loans and anybody with a modicum of success in L1. That leaves league one clubs looking in a very different shop to 3 years ago.

Yes, our transfer dealing haven't been as good, but it is a vastly more challenging environment to now work in. That doesn't preclude us also not being very good within that market, but it's only fair to acknowledge that it's unfair to compare transfer dealing 3+ years ago with what is achievable now.
    True but adapting to the market is what we’ll run clubs do. Whatever the rules and finances it’s always about finding the best value for money. For me it’s even more important than getting the right manager. Powell and Bowyer wouldn’t have taken other squads we’ve had up, and managers like Robinson, Adkins and Garner would have done well with our promotion squads.
  • Options

The prem get lots of continental players.
    Are there special rules for them. If there are it seems unfair to EFL clubs.
  • Options
    TimAddick said:

The prem get lots of continental players.
    Are there special rules for them. If there are it seems unfair to EFL clubs.

Comes down to work permit issues, the further down the tree you go, the harder it is.to.argue that a British player couldn't adequately do the job.

We had the same issue with Omar Pouso (sp?) even when we were in the Prem. The system favours the top clubs, you have to argue that the player is so good he's worth awarding a work permit to, whilst justifying why a bigger club doesn't share your point of view.
  • Options
    1968CAFC said:
    I think it’s so sad that our wonderful historic Football Club seems to attract Egotistical wankers with no serious financial structure.
    his idea or Masterplan about running our Club
    is equal to his Musical prawese…F—King Zero 👎👎

Prawase Wasi (Thai: ประเวศ วะสี; RTGSPrawet Wasi, born 1931) is a Thai haematologist, political actor and public intellectual. A highly influential figure, his works range from thalassaemia-related research and helping develop Thailand's healthcare systems to initiating and backing the 1997 Constitution of Thailand. He received the Ramon Magsaysay Award for government service in 1981.

Born in Kanchanaburi Province, Prawase graduated medicine from Siriraj Hospital and undertook postgraduate studies at University of Colorado and London University. He returned to teach as a professor at Siriraj (under Mahidol University, where he became vice president), publishing over 100 research articles, as well as advocating for rural public health development. He was indirectly active in politics, and wrote on political reform, civil society and social change. A liberal royalist, he based much of his writings on Buddhist philosophy. He promoted democratic decentralization, and supported the establishment of various non-governmental organizations. He chaired the Democracy Development Committee, which led to the drafting of the 1997 constitution, and successfully pushed for its adoption.[1][2][3][4]

or did you mean prowess ?

Is that Charlton Bob or Knob ??
    So I had a typo error you F—king clever woke wanker 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Other son now telling me he doesn’t want to renew his season ticket next season, he’s had enough, and has got a golf membership for 12 months,  it’s going to be like an Agatha Christie novel, and then there were none., people can’t be taken for granted.
  • Options
    UEAAddick said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    This administration is going no where, time to find another buyer, if you don’t want to put your hand in your pocket Thomas.
     Best thing for us I think.
    Can you explain how we get there though?  Because I honestly don't see a path to it.

I can see a path to liquidation, but not administration, and never have been able to, even under ESI2.  Maybe I am missing something.

Back to the OP, if TS still owns the majority of the club at the start of next season, we will get relegated.
    Teams that have gone into administration always haven't come out the other side well. Bury for one, although that was also liquidation too.

Leeds and Portsmouth went into troubles twice after going into administration. I'm sure it happened to Leeds twice.  Palace had problems for 10 yrs and went into admin twice.

It's not a case as easy as we will go into administration and come out the other side OK, just because some clubs have. When some other clubs haven't, or at least took them a long while to sort the problems from it.
    Painful though it was and is Bury have come out the other side.  https://buryafc.uk/
  • Options
    Booing his ridiculous song would be a start.
  • Options
    sm said:
    Does he still play that at games? Wow
  • Options
    sm said:
    Does he still play that at games? Wow
    It comes on about ten to three, and not too loud.