Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

World War Two Aircraft Crash Sites

Comments

• There's one in Staplehurst Station to a Belgian pilot who crashed into the original building after being shot down. Both he and a member of the station's staff were killed. 
  • What I also found out that the shop was run by a brother and sister named Karel and Dia Kremer. It was a tuckshop and used to deliver goods by cart in the surrounding area. Luckily nobody was in the shop at the time of the crash. The premises were lost due to the fire. 
  • 07-22 on the 1st of April 1943 an AVRO Lancaster nummer ED626 is shot down by a Messerschmidt BF-110 based out of Twente. 

The Lancaster which had taken off from Elsham Wolds in Lincolnshire was with 103 Squadron and was returning home after a raid on Emmerich in Germany.
    All the air crew were killed in this crash.
  • The crash site sits in the woods miles away from anything. 7 trees were planted which represents one for each aircrew that died on this day.
    Reading further in to the history of this Lancaster bomber this was only its 5th mission .
    Raids on Leer,20th march
                   Duisburg 26th march
                   St Nazaire 28th march
                   Berlin 29th march
                   Emmerich 1st April 1943.For the aircrew that did not return from this raid RIP . Never Forgotten.
  • Yesterday was something different,unbelievable and hopefully some of you might see it tomorrow weather permitting.
    Battle of Britain Memorial Flight of the RAF.
    The fly past by the Lancaster Bomber was as we travelled had been cancelled. Maintenance had been carried out on the plane through the night and we heard on local radio it would take place but be delayed for 70 minutes.

I know photos not good but you had to be there,The Lancaster flew past then tipped its left wing down,then tipped the right wing down in a Thank You. I just had my arms raised high and shouted out YES.

What a day .
  • Route of fly past yesterday.
  • The evening of 12th June 1944 
    Lancaster MK2 DS 818 JI-Q took off from Waterbeach destination Gelsenkirchen Germany. Along with 286 Lancasters and
    17 Mosquitos it’s objective was to destroy the oil refinery in Gelsenkirchen.

This Lancaster was shoot down on its return to England over Holland at 01.32 13th June.

• Hopefully someone can help .

Trying to research into a family that lived in Eltham during world war 2 . 
    Mr Arthur Charles Titcomb and Mrs Annie Ida Titcomb . Had a son also Arthur Titcomb who lost his life whilst in the RAF in WW 2 age 21.

Thanks
  • Spitfire IX PT-649 crashed flying from base in Grimbergen Belgium. 
    Flight Lieutenant Kapitein John Burton Shillitoe 6th November 1944.
    Crashed just outside Hulshorst Station Nederlands.     
    Least We Forget.     RIP
  • Sponsored links:

• Here's a slightly off topic one... Local to me in Lancashire

• edited November 2023
    Would have been better without the bike.
    @Leroy Ambrose
    People must see these crashsites as they walk about town. Maybe most of them have no interest in local history.
  • Would have been better without the bike.
    @Leroy Ambrose
    People must see these crashsites as they walk about town. Maybe most of them have no interest in local history.
    To be fair, that one is way out of town - it's a couple of miles from anywhere 
  • @Lewis Coaches off topic slightly but.. have you read Mosquito by Rowland White yet? If not, do. It's pretty good.
  • TEL said:
    Some interesting history around West Kingsdown, where I lived for many years. Here's a link to a Hurricane crash at nearby Stansted.

https://stanstedhistory.org/events-hurricane-crash/

also of interest was a radio interference group based at Hollywood manor, later the residence of a certain London gangster in Hollywood Lane West Kingsdown. 

There is also a site where a Messerschmidt crashed nearby - about 400yds north along the public footpath, with a model and small plaque.
  • Would have been better without the bike.
    @Leroy Ambrose
    To be fair, that one is way out of town - it's a couple of miles from anywhere 
  • So many crashsites I have visited and quite often it appears that due to weather conditions or a fault of the pilot is the reason the plane has crashed.

• One of the first crashsites I was told about is deep in the woods miles away from a road. 
    Every year the people from The closest village walk or cycle into the woods to pay they respects.

• I grew up near this one: https://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19440131-3

I'll find some pictures of the wreckage if anyone wants to see them, the plane parts are still there and people ramble up to the landmark all the time.
  • Sponsored links:

• That would be interesting. On patrol for 13 hours and then losing way and flying 200feet to low. RIP 
  • edited November 2023
    That would be interesting. On patrol for 13 hours and then losing way and flying 200feet to low. RIP 
    It's likely that it was flying a bit off course, rather than too low.

The air corridor that went from Lower Lough Erne (the main flying boat base was, IIRC, Castle Archdale) to the North Atlantic was almost directly east-west, roughly following the Erne river from Belleek to the sea at Ballyshannon.  It was a narrow corridor, meaning that planes would be flying almost directly above what was one of the Irish Army's largest bases near the border, Finner Camp, between Ballyshannon and Bundoran.

The mountains were to be found to the north and south of the corridor.
  • That would be interesting. On patrol for 13 hours and then losing way and flying 200feet to low. RIP 

The air corridor that went from Lower Lough Erne (the main flying boat base was, IIRC, Castle Archdale) to the North Atlantic was almost directly east-west, roughly following the Erne river from Belleek to the sea at Ballyshannon.  It was a narrow corridor, meaning that planes would be flying almost directly above what was one of the Irish Army's largest bases near the border, Finner Camp, between Ballyshannon and Bundoran.

That's super-interesting, I'd never put two-and-two together that this plane would had flown from Castle Archdale. We're about 20-30 miles too far north for this corridor and the mountain would have come as quite the surprise to the crew. 

I'm ignorant on the subject but why were military planes allowed to fly over a neutral territory? Is that always just allowed or was it part of the conditions of being a "dominion"?
  • It was known as the Donegal corridor.

Put a link earlier in the thread for crash sites in Ireland.

That's super-interesting, I'd never put two-and-two together that this plane would had flown from Castle Archdale. We're about 20-30 miles too far north for this corridor and the mountain would have come as quite the surprise to the crew. 

I'm ignorant on the subject but why were military planes allowed to fly over a neutral territory? Is that always just allowed or was it part of the conditions of being a "dominion"?
    The phrase that was used in Ireland was benevolent neutrality.

From early 1941, at the latest, with the threat of British invasion having receded, Ireland was beginning to allow certain limited assistance (including providing weather reports and Irish military intelligence cooperation with the likes of the OSS) to the Allies, while at the same time trying to appear entirely neutral.  The Irish were very effective at intercepting spies sent by Germany during the war.

It later included Allied servicemen landing in Ireland, and planes if possible, being quietly shipped over the border, rather than interned, while Germans were interned for the duration.

For all that, relations were strained with both the USA and Britain at various stages, with often very undiplomatic representation in Dublin (though, Sir John Maffey representing the UK was less of a pain in the arse than David Gray, the American ambassador), the less said about Churchill's interventions regarding Ireland the better.

As an aside, the head of the German legation, Eduard Hempel was considered to have acted very correctly throughout the war (for all that that means), and it was a visit to his house by Eamonn deValera, not the legation, that is often cited as him offering condolences on the death of Hitler (there is a strong argument that it was instead a private visit, made to offer support to Hempel himself, possibly even including an offer of asylum if required).

The phrase that was used in Ireland was benevolent neutrality.

From early 1941, at the latest, with the threat of British invasion having receded, Ireland was beginning to allow certain limited assistance (including providing weather reports and Irish military intelligence cooperation with the likes of the OSS) to the Allies, while at the same time trying to appear entirely neutral.  The Irish were very effective at intercepting spies sent by Germany during the war.

It later included Allied servicemen landing in Ireland, and planes if possible, being quietly shipped over the border, rather than interned, while Germans were interned for the duration.

For all that, relations were strained with both the USA and Britain at various stages, with often very undiplomatic representation in Dublin (though, Sir John Maffey representing the UK was less of a pain in the arse than David Gray, the American ambassador), the less said about Churchill's interventions regarding Ireland the better.

As an aside, the head of the German legation, Eduard Hempel was considered to have acted very correctly throughout the war (for all that that means), and it was a visit to his house by Eamonn deValera, not the legation, that is often cited as him offering condolences on the death of Hitler (there is a strong argument that it was instead a private visit, made to offer support to Hempel himself, possibly even including an offer of asylum if required).
    Thank you - that's really interesting.
  • Interesting photos cheers for sharing.
    Unbelievable that that much wreckage is still up there.

As for myself I hope to be visiting a well known landmark from World War Two shortly but it is not entirely in my hands. Fingers crossed.

• Spitfire IX PT-649 crashed flying from base in Grimbergen Belgium. 
    Flight Lieutenant Kapitein John Burton Shillitoe 6th November 1944.
    Crashed just outside Hulshorst Station Nederlands.     
    Least We Forget.     RIP
    https://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WMPF1M_Memorial_John_Burton_Shillitoe_Hulshorst_Netherlands
  • Just came across this thread again and remembered that the remains of a Hudson transport plane was discovered in Luxembourg:

https://www.tracesofwar.com/sights/19806/Crash-Site-en-Remains-Hudson-Transport-Aircraft.htm