Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

SKY Stream.

Just been talking to an Openreach Engineer he said land lines will be another ten years before they are removed.He was telling me about SKY Stream(not SKY Glass) which means doing away with the Dish.
 So the signal comes from the Modem.Apparently its not available everyware.He said its cheaper because sky do not have to pay BT for the Land Line.Is anyone using it,and is the reception ok.

Comments

• Options
    Not exactly, but isn't that just Sky Go?
  • Options
    No, it's a streaming box (not glass, no dish)

https://www.expertreviews.co.uk/sky/1417180/sky-stream-review
  • Options
    Everywhere ,sorry
  • Options
    Not worth the aggro apparently too many disadvantages
  • Options
    I wonder if sky will exist in 5 years.

Streaming services are carving up tv programmes and football/ other sports and sky has very little unique stuff to offer.
    Yup. I just don't understand why the PL and EFL don't introduce their own streaming platform. Cut Sky out as the middle man. Will make everyone happy.
  • Options
    It all depends on how much bandwidth can be squished down to you. The more your line is fibre which is light, travelling at the speed of light refracting down a fibre, a strand of glass. When it goes to metal which is the legacy way of delivering ad facilitating media it loses a lot of that speed. Eventually, certainly within most of our lifetimes there will be fibre everywhere and then there will be no need for satellite dishes to host TV. Some places are harder (more expensive) than others and take longer as since privatisation and the opening up of the network decisions to provide fibre to an area has to make commercial sense. Sky still lease lines from British Telecom and hence the need for Openreach to supply engineering resource to provide the line for sky to send their service down. 

Right now, in all honesty if you have a good connection over 30/35 meg you can do pretty much what you want on multiple devices in UHD. That speed is only going to increase and when you get full fibre service, assuming the less competent players in the game up their game and stop fucking the network up you will get a gigabyte downstream and there is nothing we currently have in our homes that needs anything like that speed but it will completely remove the need for satellite dishes and Sky along with everyone else will deliver their content and live stuff via streaming as it makes most sense and won't drop out when it snows or rains hard 

• Options
    So like Virgin broadband then…?
  • Options
    Derek1952 said:
    Just been talking to an Openreach Engineer he said land lines will be another ten years before they are removed.He was telling me about SKY Stream(not SKY Glass) which means doing away with the Dish.
     So the signal comes from the Modem.Apparently its not available everyware.He said its cheaper because sky do not have to pay BT for the Land Line.Is anyone using it,and is the reception ok.
    The data feed for Sky stream is the internet connection, not a satellite dish. The cost is cheaper because Sky are trying to get uptake for their new product. 
    It’s particularly good for people who are in flats and can’t have a dish - but don’t want NowTV. 

We’ve got Sky Stream. We had to move to Virgin because our Sky satellite dish could not reach beyond the spreading tree which was out of our control and could not be trimmed back. 
    Sky stream meant we could be back with Sky. 

Find it’s not too bad a service, but the streaming quality is a little variable, with some audio and video going out of sync a bit more than I would like - you notice the lip-sync being out.  Suspect that will improve over time. 

I still have Virgin broadband due to it being a much higher bandwidth than is available over BT  Openreach connections. When gigabit fibre comes to town, I’ll be signing up pronto - which may improve on the streaming performance too. 

• Options
    Derek1952 said:
    The data feed for Sky stream is the internet connection, not a satellite dish. The cost is cheaper because Sky are trying to get uptake for their new product. 
    It’s particularly good for people who are in flats and can’t have a dish - but don’t want NowTV. 

We’ve got Sky Stream. We had to move to Virgin because our Sky satellite dish could not reach beyond the spreading tree which was out of our control and could not be trimmed back. 
    Sky stream meant we could be back with Sky. 

Find it’s not too bad a service, but the streaming quality is a little variable, with some audio and video going out of sync a bit more than I would like - you notice the lip-sync being out.  Suspect that will improve over time. 

I still have Virgin broadband due to it being a much higher bandwidth than is available over BT  Openreach connections. When gigabit fibre comes to town, I’ll be signing up pronto - which may improve on the streaming performance too. 

You can already get a gigabit service, and if you are willing to pay and have the equipment you can have as much as 10gig but they tend to be for the banking sector, data centres and places like that. Not to say you can't have that as well of willing to part with the fairly substantial amount of money needed, and it will be a private circuit as well so comes with all the service level guarantees 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Streaming services are carving up tv programmes and football/ other sports and sky has very little unique stuff to offer.
    Sky was good for combining all the channels in one interface. Glass is supposed to continue that approach by making the platforms and channels irrelevant. 

As good an idea as that is, making content the important factor and not the provider, the price of Sky is so ridiculously high that I can't see them making it cheap enough to warrant sticking with it. Unless they package up all the apps cheaply enough that it's better to do that than get them all individually. 

We've got a new Samsung TV and it's doing my nut in. Navigating around it, when really I just want to watch through the XBox, is a chore. Managing apps and figuring out which show is on which app is a bit shit so maybe Sky can resolve that. Hope not though, I hope they go bust! 

• Options
    Isn’t it just what was a nowtv box?
  • Options
    I've never used NowTV but I assume this is more like having a set top box in that it has all the live channels on it. 

I just looked at how much it would cost to get Stream with BT and Sky Sports plus the ability to FWD adverts - £84 per month. Fuck that. I'll just stick with my mate's Sky go log in. 
  • Options

Yup. I just don't understand why the PL and EFL don't introduce their own streaming platform. Cut Sky out as the middle man. Will make everyone happy.
    Sky and BT pay them an absolute fortune so it's not in their interest unless they can sell their own content to the public and make enough money through advertising  to earn a similar amount.

They do have their own broadcast which they sell all in overseas territories, some taking just the pictures, some taking the whole package including the EPL pre-match, half-time and post-match content, plus official EPL highlight programmes and more.

• Options

Sky and BT pay them an absolute fortune so it's not in their interest unless they can sell their own content to the public and make enough money through advertising  to earn a similar amount.

They do have their own broadcast which they sell all in overseas territories, some taking just the pictures, some taking the whole package including the EPL pre-match, half-time and post-match content, plus official EPL highlight programmes and more.

That's what I thought but this video made me wonder. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5jqCh3Eiq0&t=1s
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    I've never used NowTV but I assume this is more like having a set top box in that it has all the live channels on it. 

I just looked at how much it would cost to get Stream with BT and Sky Sports plus the ability to FWD adverts - £84 per month. Fuck that. I'll just stick with my mate's Sky go log in. 
    If you are happy to break the law by using your mates log in why don't you get an IPTV app. £50.00 per year (£4.16) per month and you get access to absolutely everything in glorious UHD.
  • Options
    I gave Sky enough of my life and have enough reason to hate them that I have absolutely not compunction about refusing to drip feed my under-valued redundancy package back to them. Calling it 'breaking the law' is fucking hilarious though. 

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    I gave Sky enough of my life and have enough reason to hate them that I have absolutely not compunction about refusing to drip feed my under-valued redundancy package back to them. Calling it 'breaking the law' is fucking hilarious though. 

I couldn't think of a better term but you get my gist. £50.00 for IPTV gives you full control so no sharing passwords.

I wasn't having a dig, I have sky go on my ipad and use my daughters log in details, but the main TV is IPTV
  • Options
    I must admit, Sky Go is so, so bad that I could be tempted to get something else just to avoid ever having to use it again. 
  • Options
    The streaming quality of sky go is awful
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    I must admit, Sky Go is so, so bad that I could be tempted to get something else just to avoid ever having to use it again. 
    Tbf they’ve just updated the PS5 app for it and from what I can see there’s no difference between it and sky stream - same interface and everything 
  • Options
    That's interesting. I need them to do that to the Xbox app. 

From what I can tell, Sky go is still running on the same tech as it did in 2010, a thing called the Programme Database that was never really designed to do what it does now. It's not even smart enough to list titles beginning with 'The' under the second word, and can't list episode titles in release date order. Or any fucking fathomable order come to think of it. If you go to Sky Cinema and look at the categories, half of them are empty. Which was especially unfortunate when they had a "best of Sky Cinema 2022" section lol. 
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

If you are happy to break the law by using your mates log in why don't you get an IPTV app. £50.00 per year (£4.16) per month and you get access to absolutely everything in glorious UHD.
    I know it says UHD is it really? Also I doubt you get all the bells and whistles as far as sound goes like atmos or imax. 
    I have a iptv subscription basically just for the Saturday away games and few others. The picture quality and sound isn’t as good as the services I actually pay for. 
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

I know it says UHD is it really? Also I doubt you get all the bells and whistles as far as sound goes like atmos or imax. 
    I have a iptv subscription basically just for the Saturday away games and few others. The picture quality and sound isn’t as good as the services I actually pay for. 
    I don’t watch much TV so imax etc does not bother me. I have a decent TV and the app gives me all I need with a cracking picture.