Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Athletic vs Fleetwood Town | Saturday 11th February 2023 - 3pm Kick-Off | Match Preview

Charlton Athletic vs Fleetwood Town
Saturday 11th February 2023 - 3pm Kick-Off
Refreee: Carl Boyeson

Introduction
The Addicks travelled to Devon last Saturday, looking to get their faintest of Play-Off hopes back on track... Defeat against Bolton Wanderers in our last outing at the Valley wasnt ideal, but if the most ardent of optimist had hopes of extending the season, well we needed our season back on track quickly... Especially with a run of games coming up that will surely end those dreams once and for all - Of course we know the outcome of that game in Devon, a professional 1-2 win over mid-table Exeter City... This Saturday we play host to Fleetwood Town, who themselves will be looking to edge away from what is a tight bottom eight!!

The Opposition
Name: Fleetwood Town (17th) | Manager: Scott Brown
Ground: Highbury
Previous League Meeting: Fleetwood Town 2-3 Burton Albion

Life both as a Manager, and with a club South of the Border started quite well for Scott Brown - There were a number of draws in those first nine games, well all but three were draws, yet at the same time... There was only the one defeat which came on the opening day of the season, away at newly promoted; Port Vale - However life since October has been a struggle for the Cod Army, there have just been four wins (albeit three of those have come on the road), whilst there have just been five draws... The rest have come in defeat, the last of those being a dramatic outing in the ex-Addick Derby last Saturday... Burton the visitors, with on loan Charlie Kirk scoring a 96th minute winner, after Fleetwood themselves thought they'd snatched a point in the 94th!!

Well all eyes will naturally be on Fleetwood's individuals with history in SE7 - The versatile Brendan Wiredu (V863) moved North from Colchester in the summer, and has been played at a mixture of Centre-Back or Defensive Midfield in recent outings... Whilst Junior Quitirna (V881) is another with Charlton connections, the midfielder primarily appeared in the League Cup, and EFL Trophy for us between 2019-21 before his release, moving to the Republic of Ireland with Waterford, yet signed for Fleetwood on deadline day just a few days ago. Quitirna however wont be involved this Saturday having moved on loan to Altrincham for the rest of the season.

Charlton Team News
Midweek saw a Charlton U21 side taking on AFC Bournemouth in a friendly providing match fitness for Jojo Wollacott, Michael Hector and Chuks Aneke

Its been confirmed that Wollacott will be back in contention this Saturday, yet the form of Ashley Maynard-Brewer (ensuring all three points at Exeter with a late diving header last Saturday) means that the Ghanian International will either have to wait his turn before playing competitive Football in a Charlton shirt again, or consider looking elsewhere - Both Hector and Aneke played 65-minutes in the midweek friendly, so their involvement against Fleetwood is perhaps questionable.

Elsewhere and it doesnt sound as though there are any further injury concerns... Steven Sessegnon hasn't been seen at Left-Back for a number of weeks, and given that his minutes are being managed we may not see him again this Saturday either - Thankfully the signing of Matt Penney (who was much improved against Exeter) has given us the much needed balance we've been missing whenever Sessegnon has been absent.

Maynard-Brewer
Clare - Inniss - Ness - Penney
Kilkenny - Dobson - Fraser
Rak-Sakyi - Bonne - Blackett-Taylor

Substitutes Bench: Wollacott - Hector - Henry - Morgan - Payne - Campbell - Leaburn

Comments

• A must win,
  • We would expect to win, and we know how that goes.
  • Same team as last weekend. Same result I hope. Wouldn't it be nice to tonk a team for a change. 4-0?? Bonne to get a brave. Dobbo to celebrate triggering his contract with a goal and a first for Ness. No goal for Jayden on his return. Not asking for too much am I.
  • @ForeverAddickted "ensuring a point at Exeter with a late diving header last Saturday" should say ensuring all three points!
  • CafcWest said:
    @ForeverAddickted "ensuring a point at Exeter with a late diving header last Saturday" should say ensuring all three points!
    Cheers mate 
  • For a newbies first post of Charlton life I'm going for an optimistic 2-1. Start strong, controlling large parts of the game, give away the standard 1 goal and then seal the result at approximately 80 minutes. A goal for George, Miles and Jayden. 
    <Insert Takeover Joke here>
  • No mention of Stockley in the preview?
  • Off_it said:
    No mention of Stockley in the preview?
    Too easy... I thought I'd focus on the other Addicks with Fleetwood, especially when I saw they'd signed Quitirna
  • Sponsored links:

• Off_it said:
    No mention of Stockley in the preview?
    Too easy... I thought I'd focus on the other Addicks with Fleetwood, especially when I saw they'd signed Quitirna
    But no mention at all?!
  • For a newbies first post of Charlton life I'm going for an optimistic 2-1. Start strong, controlling large parts of the game, give away the standard 1 goal and then seal the result at approximately 80 minutes. A goal for George, Miles and Jayden. 
    <Insert Takeover Joke here>
    Are you a billionaire by any chance?

We are missing one or three...
  • I look forward to Stockley and Inniss in a race for a lose ball 
    What I want to know, do you wear salmon coloured jeans😉
  • All I can predict with any confidence is that Stockley will score at least once and play like a gangly arm- waving version of Pele, in his prime.
  • I hate these games against clubs that were non-League teams when I was a young man. Still, we are where we are for a good reason (or a bad reason, in another sense), so I’m hoping we can stick four or five past the Fishermen, but Cod moves in a mysterious way.
  • Billyboy said:
    What I want to know, do you wear salmon coloured jeans😉
    I was taught to be cautious 😆
  • Too easy to mention Stockley? 

An absolute dead cert to turn in a Lewandoski performance - score at least one, maybe a perfect hat-trick, head six of ours off the line and get Innis red carded.  
  • cabbles said:
    I look forward to Stockley and Inniss in a race for a lose ball 
    Well I think there would only be one winner:

https://m.facebook.com/OfficialCAFC/videos/ryan-inniss-pulls-off-brilliant-last-ditch-tackle-against-portsmouth/284442137117635/

(couldn’t find a better link to the video)
  • Sponsored links:

• I think we will win against Fleetwood and then also win on Tuesday. 
    This will encourage a lot of posters to believe we can make the playoffs. 
    The following 4 game's will probably  show we won't. 
  • cabbles said:
    tbf once inniss gets going he can be fairly quick stockley on the other hand looked stuck in the mud from the time he joined us 
  • 1-0, Stockley OG.
  • edited February 2023
    cabbles said:

We’re pretty good at lose ball on our day ☹️
  • A typically, should win. They are one of the out of form teams and struggling. We have picked up recently, no doubt all the false hope we will end up scuffing it and a 1-1 draw. 
  • First time this season I'd put a bet on Stockley for the first goal!
  • Think we'll win 3-2. Jayden will score against us.
  • edited February 2023
    Charlton to win, this time, against a lower opposition side.

Holden is getting a real response out of the group and with those few  better players from the Window and a better balanced, more setttled team, I hope to see another confident performance.  3-0 will do for me.

COYRs! Keep the run up the league going and give us all a good weekend.
  • We are in the metro’s tipster’s Yankee.

So no chance then.

• 2-1 to Charlton. I expect Stockley to score and be running and jumping like a Miles Leaburn on speed.