Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

MATCH THREAD; Exeter City v Charlton Athletic ; Saturday 4th February 2023 ; KO 3.00 pm

Gavin Kilkenny  makes his Charlton debut and takes the place of Albie Morgan, while Steven Sessegnon misses out with knee swelling overnight.

The game comes too soon for new signing Michael Hector, who is set to play for the club's U21s during the week.

The Addicks are expected to lineup in a 4-3-3 formation with Sean Clare, Ryan Inniss, Lucas Ness and Matt Penney starting in a back four in front of goalkeeper Ashley Maynard-Brewer.

Kilkenny is partnered in midfield by skipper George Dobson with Scott Fraser likely to play the most advanced of the three.

Jes Rak-Sakyi, Macauley Bonne and Corey Blackett-Taylor make up the front three.

Charlton: Maynard-Brewer; Clare, Inniss, Ness, Penney; Kilkenny, Dobson (c), Fraser; Rak-Sakyi, Bonne, Blackett-Taylor

Substitutes: Harness, Thomas, Henry, Morgan, Payne, Campbell, Leaburn

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2023
    Thanks for posting the full article from the OS... Wouldnt have read it, and didnt realise that Hector was due to play for the U21s this coming week - Shame he couldnt play as a trialist in our last game.

Not overly surprised at the line-up... Kilkenny start as I suspected he would - Little surprised that Bonne has been selected over Leaburn, but its an opportunity for him to show that last week was a difficult one being up against an absolute beast of a Centre-Back.
  • Options
    Wonder when a game will come that Hector is ready for.
  • Options
    Pre season
  • Options
    Pre season
    Which one? 2023 or later?
  • Options
    Why is he not starting Leaburn?
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Watching the interview with Dean, looks like a nice surface at Exeter, will make a pleasant change for the lads from our field at the valley last week..
  • Options
    Disappointing that Sessegnon is unfit and that Leaburn stays on the bench.
  • Options
    Agree. Sess is going to find it hard to cement a contract that merits his level due to being injury prone. 

What's with the sudden 'resting' of Leaburn, while we have had long gaps between games. Are we ensuring he doesn't get a trademark Charlton injury?
  • Options
    No Hector? Hasn’t played since at least May 2022 so must be fit. However, he did only complete half a medical at Sheffield Wednesday. Be lucky to see him in the first team. Surprised Bonne starts over Leaburn, just hope he’s been informed of the offside rules during the week.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Copying my comments from the preview thread;

Reckon Sess is another victim of our perennial lopsided squads and we might have crocked him long term by repeatedly playing him through an injury that should have been rested. 

Bonne starting again after last week. Holden has been Charltonized already. 
  • Options
    Sure I heard Brownie mention the word "takeover" earlier...soon got subject changed though... ;)
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Agree. Sess is going to find it hard to cement a contract that merits his level due to being injury prone. 

What's with the sudden 'resting' of Leaburn, while we have had long gaps between games. Are we ensuring he doesn't get a trademark Charlton injury?
    I agree. It’s three weeks since Miles played a full game, so why does the lad need a ‘rest’, especially as we have no midweek game ?
  • Options
    mendonca said:

Or he already has one. 😕

I jest. - as it would be typical of our luck. 
  • Options
    When are we ever going to have a proper right back fit to play? With both Clare and Penney and JRS and CBT in front of them, I can't see us keeping a clean sheet. Also disappointing that Bonne gets a start in place of Leaburn. I think Miles would create lots more problems. Sess's injury is starting to be a bit of a worry. I don't think we will see much more of him this season. No real surprise that Hector isn't match fit, but as others have said - Will he ever be?

Having seen the line up I now definitely think we will lose. I hope the team are inspired and prove me wrong.
  • Options
    Considering it was made clear by the medical team that Sess' could play through this injury then I think a second opinion would be a good idea and to save cab fare get Sess to take Chuks with him
  • Options
    No Hector? Hasn’t played since at least May 2022 so must be fit. However, he did only complete half a medical at Sheffield Wednesday. Be lucky to see him in the first team. Surprised Bonne starts over Leaburn, just hope he’s been informed of the offside rules during the week.
    Yeah of course, apart from the part where it says he's playing midweek in the stiffs/youth game in midweek, and will almost certainly be in the squad within 2 weeks. 
  • Options
    I'm expecting a bonne double and a innis master class at the back. 
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Yeah of course, apart from the part where it says he's playing midweek in the stiffs/youth game in midweek, and will almost certainly be in the squad within 2 weeks. 
    He’s ‘set’ to play for the U21’s, let’s see if he actually does and if so for how long. As for in the squad in two weeks, again let’s wait and see shall we. I may be being negative but I just think it was an awful, desperation deadline day signing.
  • Options
    Brownie seems very up regarding the "expected takeover" when talking about the in's and out's in the window, sounds like it could be 3/4 weeks away reading from the chat today..🤷‍♂️
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Three weeks training and still no Chuks. Liability. 
  • Options
    Kilkenny sounds very up to get started today and gives a good interview, looking forward to seeing him play, talks a good game let's see what he can give on the pitch
  • Options
    Kilkenny is 23 and has played 18 games in his career.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    He’s ‘set’ to play for the U21’s, let’s see if he actually does and if so for how long. As for in the squad in two weeks, again let’s wait and see shall we. I may be being negative but I just think it was an awful, desperation deadline day signing.
    And people like you with the constant negativity circle jerk on here push these opinions on everyone to farm cheap likes, I get it, it's fine. But don't let it get in the way of the facts and the actual information put up in the articles
  • Options
    Always get more nervous watching the stream than I do watching at the ground. 
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    29-games - Certainly a bit of a late bloomer though

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/gavin-kilkenny/leistungsdaten/spieler/469064/plus/0?saison=ges
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    It does seem like a gamble. But I like a gamble. If it comes off we could be quids in.
  • Options
    come on you Addicks!!
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    So, he could double his career total+ with us then, let's just hope so, he sounds fine, 
  • Options
    What a dive that was... ;)
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!