Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Six Nations 2023

Comments

• I think this is an unintended consequence of the new law that states that play is restarted with a goal-line drop kick, if a kick goes in-goal and is then made dead.  In short, it's a free shot at a try: if the your winger reaches the ball, it's a try; if not, you regain possession in the opponent's half.
  • edited March 2023
    Ireland win in Scotland with a battling performance, losing 5 players due to injury. Played with 3 props in the front row and a flanker throwing in at lineouts. Stopped Scotland from scoring a point in the last 63 minutes. Hopefully some will return for next week’s game.
  • Ireland win in Scotland with a battling performance, losing 5 players due to injury. Played with 3 props in the front row and a flanker throwing in at lineouts. Stopped Scotland from scoring a point in the last 63 minutes. Hopefully some will return for next week’s game.
    Just back from Bushes Bar and I’m in bits!
    Don’t think I breathed at all that first half (ok maybe I did when I was berating the officials for that wrong ball nonsense 😳)

Hansen single handedly changed that game, he just rolled up his sleeves & said feck it, let me at em.

Such a gutsy performance 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻💚
  • Ireland win in Scotland with a battling performance, losing 5 players due to injury. Played with 3 props in the front row and a flanker throwing in at lineouts. Stopped Scotland from scoring a point in the last 63 minutes. Hopefully some will return for next week’s game.
    Don’t think I breathed at all that first half (ok maybe I did when I was berating the officials for that wrong ball nonsense 😳)

Hansen single handedly changed that game, he just rolled up his sleeves & said feck it, let me at em.

The quick lineout was a joke, Scotland played it, messed it up and Ireland score a try, only for it to be cancelled and Scotland get to have the put in at the lineout.

The quick lineout was a joke, Scotland played it, messed it up and Ireland score a try, only for it to be cancelled and Scotland get to have the put in at the lineout.
    Complete joke. 
    They feck up & get another go.
    How on earth is that right?
    Lino’s fault. He knew they’d used the wrong ball & didn’t call it quick enough.
    But we’re the ones who suffer.
    Utter garbage.
    Thank heavens it made no difference 🫣
  • Next week will be the rugby equivalent of England v San Marino in football with England playing the part of San Marino.
  • You mean England will score in the first 10 seconds or so.
  • iaitch said:
    You mean England will score in the first 10 seconds or so.
    Not too far off, so far.  The red card may affect the result, because Steward was looking really good.

It will be interesting to see what will happen in the second half.
  • Absolutely scandalous red card. What is Steward meant to do? Not challenge for the ball or disappear into thin air it seems 
  • Absolutely scandalous red card. What is Steward meant to do? Not challenge for the ball or disappear into thin air it seems 
    Bang on. Game has been ruined.
  • Sponsored links:

• Couldn’t wait to get the red card out. Nice sporting Irish crowd blowing air horns at the penalties. 

• Ridiculous decision.. has ruined the game 
  • Match ending with 16 v 13…
    I think his problem was the turn of his torso, if he hadn't done that it might have been a yellow.
  • There's a huge amount of positives for England to take from the game, and more ideas for Ireland's World Cup opponents.
  • Grand slam for Ireland, the pressure now builds on them for the World Cup. 
  • Match ending with 16 v 13…
    The yellow card was inevitable, no international referee would have left the player on the pitch

The red might have been harsh, but it wasn't outside the likely outcomes (a card of some sort was definitely going to be awarded).

That said, I really think that Steve Borthwick will take huge heart from a really good England performance.
  • 5 wins out of 5 and Ireland are so good that I'm not sure they were even in top gear in many of the games. 
    Ireland have so much nous and ability that they have a real chance in the World Cup.

• 5 wins out of 5 and Ireland are so good that I'm not sure they were even in top gear in many of the games. 
    Ireland have so much nous and ability that they have a real chance in the World Cup.

They need to get the monkey off their back, they have never won a knockout game in the RWC.
  • Sponsored links:

• The weight of expectation was heavy for Ireland and they made hard work of the game for long periods. That said, there was always going to be a reaction from England after last week and a desire to stop a grand slam if they could.

But this is an Ireland team that Farrell has moulded brilliantly over the last few years, which has a belief in itself and strength in depth - the U20s are on course for their own grand slam tomorrow.  They have leaders all over the pitch and are deservedly the Number 1 ranked team in the world.  

I actually think the game would have been easier for them with England at 15 players, but that was undoubtedly a red card under the current rules. Steward knew what he was doing in twisting and lifting his hip & forearm before making contact. I’ve seen some comments that this showed he was trying to avoid the contact, but it actually made it worse.

Delighted for Johnny Sexton in what is probably his last 6 Nations. Breaking the points record and lifting the Grand Slam on home turf.  Only one more thing now to cap a brilliant career ☘️💚
  • NugNug
    edited March 2023
    5 wins out of 5 and Ireland are so good that I'm not sure they were even in top gear in many of the games. 

I really can't see Ireland being better than South Africa or France at home in the WC. One of those two will win it. Red card ruined the game today unfortunately even though in the current climate it probably was.
  • I'm probably wrong, and demonstrating my ignorance of the laws, but here's my take on the red card. 

Steward pulled out of the tackle. This is the crucial point. Because the reason that he pulled out was that Keenan had fumbled the pass. Had Steward continued with the tackle, he'd be tracking a player without the ball and conceded a penalty. But Keenan had fumbled and knocked the ball forward. At that point, the half was effectively over. The 40 minute mark had been reached. There was no advantage for the referee to wait for: the half was up and had to end the next time the ball went dead (other than for a penalty or try).  

I'm my view, if a player pulls out of a challenge due to a transgression by his opponent, and to avoid committing to a tackle which would have been penalised as a late tackle, then he shouldn't be red carded. 
  • edited March 2023
    Chizz said:
    I'm probably wrong, and demonstrating my ignorance of the laws, but here's my take on the red card. 

Steward pulled out of the tackle. This is the crucial point. Because the reason that he pulled out was that Keenan had fumbled the pass. Had Steward continued with the tackle, he'd be tracking a player without the ball and conceded a penalty. But Keenan had fumbled and knocked the ball forward. At that point, the half was effectively over. The 40 minute mark had been reached. There was no advantage for the referee to wait for: the half was up and had to end the next time the ball went dead (other than for a penalty or try).  

I'm my view, if a player pulls out of a challenge due to a transgression by his opponent, and to avoid committing to a tackle which would have been penalised as a late tackle, then he shouldn't be red carded. 
    Just watched it again. Keenan didn’t fumble, it was a decent tackle on Hanson which meant he couldn’t get the pass away.  Keenan did scoop it up, but it would have been stopped there for a forward pass.  

I don’t think it was done with malice, and Steward was quick to check on Keenan, but what he did was very dangerous. By turning his body, rising higher and making no attempt to wrap his arms, he hits Keenan with his hip & forearm. I’ve seen older (retired) players complaining, but those are the rules these days and you have to show a duty of care to your opponent when tackling. 

Like football, many older players wouldn’t last the full match these days as the sports and their rules have evolved. 
  • I didn’t like the red card as in my head it really wasn’t one.
    But as was fully explained by the ref, the laws are clear now & he had to go.

My word, well done England, you really did come to spoil the party 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

I’m still buzzing.

What a weekend.

Grand Slam 👑👑👑 
    Happy Smudge 💚☘️🇮🇪
  • Great match - tbh I can’t see Ireland winning a World Cup. The line ups at some of the six nations teams are getting ridiculous, how many of players are born abroad and choose to represent its ridic 
  • Doesn't Keenan have a duty of care to himself? Steward did what he could to mitigate the clash but Keenan had his head down and wasn't stopping for anybody.

I understand the letter of the law blah, blah, blah but I think the law as it stands is wrong since Keenan made no attempt to save himself and Steward tried to make himself as small as possible yet Steward (and England) was punished.
  • Great match - tbh I can’t see Ireland winning a World Cup. The line ups at some of the six nations teams are getting ridiculous, how many of players are born abroad and choose to represent its ridic 
    I honestly think the current rule on naturalisation is one of the best things for international rugby, an improvement on the position before to the benefit of established rugby nations (there have always been foreign born players in Home Nations teams, the All Blacks, Australia, etc.), because it allows for more rapid improvement of weaker nations, outside the top tier.
  • LenGlover said:
    Doesn't Keenan have a duty of care to himself? Steward did what he could to mitigate the clash but Keenan had his head down and wasn't stopping for anybody.

I understand the letter of the law blah, blah, blah but I think the law as it stands is wrong since Keenan made no attempt to save himself and Steward tried to make himself as small as possible yet Steward (and England) was punished.
    Any contact to the head now & it’s always going to be looked at & considered a red.
    We can argue all day long as to the whys & wherefores but player welfare is finally being put first. 
    Can’t really complain about that imho.
    I honestly think the current rule on naturalisation is one of the best things for international rugby, an improvement on the position before to the benefit of established rugby nations (there have always been foreign born players in Home Nations teams, the All Blacks, Australia, etc.), because it allows for more rapid improvement of weaker nations, outside the top tier.
    How do Fiji, Tonga and Samoa improve if all their best players are going abroad to play for other countries?