Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Positives - Of the Jan 2023 Transfer Window?

Comments

• Options
    801912601 said:
    Trying to be positive - Holden has said previously that he needs to change the culture and attitude within the club because it’s all negative. So they have shipped out the sick, lame and lazy and bought  in experienced hungry players that will fight for a contract come the summer. He may also say that this leaves a pathway for our high quality academy players to get into the first team squad. So the likes of AMB, Ness, Henry, Campbell sign new contracts
    Garner made some comments about the attitude in the squad too. It's weird because we've bombed out an entire squad's worth of players not that long ago after Bowyer said something similar, then Jackson went to get rid of the supposed hangover that him being there brought. Seems to always end up the same way no matter how many players or managers we change. Maybe the ticket office are just really, really negative people and it spreads
  • Options
    Definitely Egbo. And Ness was a signing. 
  • Options
    For me, apart from O’Connell who had a couple of okay games prior to getting injured, you could argue that the rest were offering nothing at all or very little.  In the cold light of day, bar O’Connell, would you have kept any of them?  If yes, then respectfully, I question your judgment.

I do however, align to the fact that we can’t tell as yet whether or not it was done with a view to clearing the decks for a proper go next season, or, we are being ground down to comprise of a team of youngsters and cheap options, because TS is staying and doesn’t want to fund us, or, the new owners are just looking at a minimum viable expense until we get flipped as has been discussed.  

Obviously none of those are good, because you can always go further.  However, we kept Leaburn and I am sure there would’ve been some offers there.  If we were going to be completely gutted to save on costs, surely TS/the new owners would’ve quite liked a pay day by selling him 
  • Options
    The medical department will be busy and earning their money. 
  • Options
    We've streamlined the squad, and realised savings from the playing personnel. - That's what the new Texas investor prospectus will say.
  • Options
    801912601 said:
    Trying to be positive - Holden has said previously that he needs to change the culture and attitude within the club because it’s all negative. So they have shipped out the sick, lame and lazy and bought  in experienced hungry players that will fight for a contract come the summer. He may also say that this leaves a pathway for our high quality academy players to get into the first team squad. So the likes of AMB, Ness, Henry, Campbell sign new contracts
    Garner made some comments about the attitude in the squad too. It's weird because we've bombed out an entire squad's worth of players not that long ago after Bowyer said something similar, then Jackson went to get rid of the supposed hangover that him being there brought. Seems to always end up the same way no matter how many players or managers we change. Maybe the ticket office are just really, really negative people and it spreads
    It's interesting because, to my eyes, two of the more disinterested looking players in the last couple of years have been Gunter and DJ and they've now both been signed by Jacko who was one of the managers who suffered for their lack of commitment here.
  • Options
    The real positive of this window is there are more spare pegs for the lads to hang their latest Clobber at Sparrows Lane. 

The other positive is 8 players were moved on despite only 7 of them being cheered.
    Charlton were always going to be vulnerable to a foreign team enticing a player away on a 3 and a half year contract and a wage increase and silverware. 

I appreciate Charlie Boomerang Kirk will return again and again but at least we can run down his four year contract in incremental portions of time.

Another Positive is for once we didn't sell the real assets: Leaburn, Dobson, Ness, AWB, Kanu and the goal scoring midfielder Albie Morgan !
    I think Penney will settle down and do ok.
    Rak Saki is still here and so is Sess; the summer could be carnage if TS is still here.
  • Options
    I think or I'm hoping that this clearout signals a last throw of the dice by Sandgaard as he struggles with mounting debt. Most if not all of us want him out and the only way to do that is to organise a season ticket suspension against him. If he receives that money we will be prolonging the agony. As for the players gone, I won't miss any of them. 
  • Options
    Keeping all the decent players getting rid of nearly all the deadwood. I know it seems like a mass exodus but with the exception possibly of OConnell I honestly don’t think any departing players will be missed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    801912601 said:
    It's interesting because, to my eyes, two of the more disinterested looking players in the last couple of years have been Gunter and DJ and they've now both been signed by Jacko who was one of the managers who suffered for their lack of commitment here.
    I think it's less to do with being disinterested as such, and more about just general attitude - obviously we only see so much out on the pitch, but look at the lack of fight and our complete inability to turn it around when things aren't going our way - the heads drop and there's a major lack of leadership - look at who was previously our captain for the majority of this season - i'm sure he's a lovely guy off the field, but look at how he personally reacted to having some bad form this season - sulking, throwing himself to the ground, arms up in the air, moaning - having a go at the younger players if they make a mistake - that's not a captains example is it? If that is what he was like in public on the pitch, what was happening behind closed doors in the changing room/training pitch when things weren't going his way?? 

I'm not placing all the blame at his door of course, that wouldn't be fair, and as I say, we only see what we see on the pitch - how many times has Innis looked like a ticking time bomb that is just ITCHING to get himself sent off? Does he pull that crap in training as well??

Then you've got Chucks going through the motions of his warm-up's because he has absolutely convinced himself if he puts even a modicum of stress on his body it will break down - which simultaneously means he is not properly prepared and it becomes a self fulfilling prophesy - if he trains like he warms up at some half times i've seen him then he must be such a frustrating person to train with and that perceived lack of effort rubs off on others too.

Then you have people like Kirk who couldn't make it clearer on the pitch that he would rather be anywhere but in a Charlton shirt - if he is showing that disinterest in training that rubs off as well.

Again, i'm only supposing these theories based on what I see in public on the pitch - maybe i'm dead wrong and out of order calling these things out and suggesting it's happening in training/the changing room as well, but it would explain a lot considering multiple managers have now gone public about attitude/professionalism/discipline issues now - which is not exactly normal practice (you would usually expect managers to shield the players, and I guess in a way they have by not naming names or giving examples)

Sorry this turned into a bit of a rant, i'll shut up now!

• Options
    edited February 2023
    801912601 said:
    I think it's less to do with being disinterested as such, and more about just general attitude - obviously we only see so much out on the pitch, but look at the lack of fight and our complete inability to turn it around when things aren't going our way - the heads drop and there's a major lack of leadership - look at who was previously our captain for the majority of this season - i'm sure he's a lovely guy off the field, but look at how he personally reacted to having some bad form this season - sulking, throwing himself to the ground, arms up in the air, moaning - having a go at the younger players if they make a mistake - that's not a captains example is it? If that is what he was like in public on the pitch, what was happening behind closed doors in the changing room/training pitch when things weren't going his way?? 

I'm not placing all the blame at his door of course, that wouldn't be fair, and as I say, we only see what we see on the pitch - how many times has Innis looked like a ticking time bomb that is just ITCHING to get himself sent off? Does he pull that crap in training as well??

Then you've got Chucks going through the motions of his warm-up's because he has absolutely convinced himself if he puts even a modicum of stress on his body it will break down - which simultaneously means he is not properly prepared and it becomes a self fulfilling prophesy - if he trains like he warms up at some half times i've seen him then he must be such a frustrating person to train with and that perceived lack of effort rubs off on others too.

Then you have people like Kirk who couldn't make it clearer on the pitch that he would rather be anywhere but in a Charlton shirt - if he is showing that disinterest in training that rubs off as well.

Again, i'm only supposing these theories based on what I see in public on the pitch - maybe i'm dead wrong and out of order calling these things out and suggesting it's happening in training/the changing room as well, but it would explain a lot considering multiple managers have now gone public about attitude/professionalism/discipline issues now - which is not exactly normal practice (you would usually expect managers to shield the players, and I guess in a way they have by not naming names or giving examples)

Sorry this turned into a bit of a rant, i'll shut up now!

I think you make a lot of valid points.
    I would love to have been a fly on the wall in his office when DH was having ‘one to one’ meetings with the players, probably a lot of listening, a lot of straight talk and a lot of tough love.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Positives of Jan 2023 window...🤔

...Looking forward to the Summer 2023 Rumours thread...😉
  • Options
    For TS he will see trousering a fee for O Connell as a positive six months after picking him up on a free.
  • Options
    Said it yesterday and stand by it. I think, given all the unrest and instability) it’s been a decent window for us in a purely footballing perspective. I wanted us to get rid of every single player that’s gone except O’Connell. And we haven’t lost anyone I didn’t want us to lose.

The players we’ve brought in are all out of contract at the end of the season with their parent clubs (or us) so it’s a really long trial for them and us.

If (big if) the ownership is sorted by the end of the season then they’ll have a really strong core of players to start off with and then can build from there.
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    Said it yesterday and stand by it. I think, given all the unrest and instability) it’s been a decent window for us in a purely footballing perspective. I wanted us to get rid of every single player that’s gone except O’Connell. And we haven’t lost anyone I didn’t want us to lose.

The players we’ve brought in are all out of contract at the end of the season with their parent clubs (or us) so it’s a really long trial for them and us.

If (big if) the ownership is sorted by the end of the season then they’ll have a really strong core of players to start off with and then can build from there.
    But let's not forget the players we want to stay who will be out of contract at the end of this season .

If TS is still our owner, do you believe he'll be willing to hand out decent new ones or sell to the highest bidder ? 
  • Options
    Landlord of my local Covid positive
  • Options
    The only positive is its fucking over!
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:

But let's not forget the players we want to stay who will be out of contract at the end of this season .

If TS is still our owner, do you believe he'll be willing to hand out decent new ones or sell to the highest bidder ? 
    If TS wanted to sell our best players, why has he not just done that? It is not credible that we did not have offers for Leaburn, Dobson and Ness and together they would have raised a few million.
    It is probably a strong indication that we are really being taken over.
    The question may then be will they?
  • Options
    Here are 24 players left with a part to play for the rest of the season.  I like to think it’s not all  doom and gloom and would keeping the likes of Lavelle, Kirk and Big Mac  really improved the squad ?

————-AMB—————

Sess - Inniss - Ness - Penney

——Dobson - Kilkenny——-

Rak-Sakyi - Fraser - Campbell

—————-Leaburn————-

Wollacot, Thomas, Hector, Henry, Bonne, CBT, Payne, Mitchell , Clare, Kane, Chucks, Morgan, Kanu. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bailey said:
    I think or I'm hoping that this clearout signals a last throw of the dice by Sandgaard as he struggles with mounting debt. Most if not all of us want him out and the only way to do that is to organise a season ticket suspension against him. If he receives that money we will be prolonging the agony. As for the players gone, I won't miss any of them. 
    This sounds like a fantastic idea that will only result in good things
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    RC_CAFC said:

If TS wanted to sell our best players, why has he not just done that? It is not credible that we did not have offers for Leaburn, Dobson and Ness and together they would have raised a few million.
    Alternative viewpoint - those 3 players COULD have been cashed in on, but then TS loses his valuation of the club - and most importantly the leverage he needs if he wants to keep a percentage - so it was in his interests to keep them til a sale goes through?
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    One big plus is that we managed to go a whole window without anyone suggesting we re-sign Johnny Williams
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    RC_CAFC said:

Alternative viewpoint - those 3 players COULD have been cashed in on, but then TS loses his valuation of the club - and most importantly the leverage he needs if he wants to keep a percentage - so it was in his interests to keep them til a sale goes through?
    That's where it's a tough call for Sandgaard. Do you sell a few players for let's say 4mil and then try sell the club for 2/3 mil less than what you wanted previously. But if Sandgaard wants someone else to come in, own the majority and keep a small stake, his 10/20% stake is still worthless unless we're successful. Unless someone comes in throwing silly money at it, selling your best players reduces the chance that his small stake will be profitable in the future. 
  • Options
    I am taking the statement from the club about turning down “millions” for the three lads with a pinch of salt. I think that was put out to make them look like the good guy’s whilst the other players were sold.
  • Options
    I  imagine there were silly bids for a number of our young players. It's what clubs do if they think your having a fire sale. 
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    I am taking the statement from the club about turning down “millions” for the three lads with a pinch of salt. I think that was put out to make them look like the good guy’s whilst the other players were sold.
    That never came from the club but the broker trying to get the club taken over. More spin than Ashley Giles coming from him 

Linkedin seems to be popular with individuals spreading their nonsense to Charlton fans 
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Redrobo said:
    RC_CAFC said:

To give validity to your post MM:
    I said the example of Ron Nodes before when he basically sold the use of the boardroom and the players to Mark Goldberg for 22 million !
    He even lent him 5 million to complete the purchase ! ( Worth another !)
    Back then, Palace went on a bad run (yippee) and the value of the players tumbled. 

No surprise when Mark Goldberg went Bankrupt. I had managed a team in youth football against him and he seemed a decent bloke for a Palace fan !

Yes that's correct the stadium and the training ground were still owned by Noades.
    Back to our situation and Duchatelet.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    https://www.charltonafc.com/news/andy-scott-reflects-january-transfer-window 

I see that the above link is also now posted on other threads, so take your pick! 
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    I agree. This seems to be as much about finances as anything football-related