Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Positives - Of the Jan 2023 Transfer Window?

Keeping Dobbo , Leaburn, & Woolacott.

Any other positives?

Comments

• edited February 2023
    Keeping Dobbo, Ness, Fraser, Leaburn, Rak Sakyi, Egbo and Sessegnon. 
    Potentially the new signings as well, but we'll need a month or two to know how they turn out.
  • JamesSeed said:
    Keeping Dobbo, Ness, Fraser, Leaburn, Rak Sakyi, Egbo and Sessegnon. 
    Thankyou , i'd forgotten about the rest, i think if Rak Saki had gone , we'd have slid down the table.
  • More chances for our younger players to show whether they have what it takes; AMB, Henry, Ness, Leaburn, Campbell and maybe Kanu. 
  • We hopefully see the back of some parasitic hangers on now.

• We now have a team that is capable of remaining in L1 this season and it gives the youngsters a possible path forward which for players like Henry might encourage them to remain. Some of the loanees will return at season end and if they get regular match time there is the possibility that they will return better than when they left. After that it depends on the new owners, assuming we have some, and if they invest the squad will have the places to bring in better players, but that depends on new owners about which we know nothing.
  • I don't rate Bonne that much but I reckon he'll score more than Stockley would have.

That's about it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Keeping Holden until the end of the season.
  • There's the possibility that Kirk, DJ and Lavelle will play well and find they have interested buyers in the summer. McGrandles will hopefully get back up to speed and we might see the player we'd hoped we'd signed next season.
    Everything really hinges on who's in charge of the club in the summer and what their budget is
  • So have I got this right. 4 in (Bonne, Penney, Hector and Kane). 8 out (Mcgilvary, Lavelle, O'connor, Mcgrandles, Forster Caskey, Kirk, Jayseimi and Stockley). Of the 4 in 1 is already injured and out for a couple of months while 1 has hardly played for 3 years)
  • Keeping Dobbo , Leaburn, & Woolacott.

Any other positives?
    They're only positives in the context of the monumental clusterfuck to which our club is being subjected
    The relentless decline is being accelerated with every move these yankee tosspots make - they're starting to make douchebag look less than crazy
  • redman said:
    So have I got this right. 4 in (Bonne, Penney, Hector and Kane). 8 out (Mcgilvary, Lavelle, O'connor, Mcgrandles, Forster Caskey, Kirk, Jayseimi and Stockley). Of the 4 in 1 is already injured and out for a couple of months while 1 has hardly played for 3 years)
    Kilkenny from Dublin 
  • redman said:
    So have I got this right. 4 in (Bonne, Penney, Hector and Kane). 8 out (Mcgilvary, Lavelle, O'connor, Mcgrandles, Forster Caskey, Kirk, Jayseimi and Stockley). Of the 4 in 1 is already injured and out for a couple of months while 1 has hardly played for 3 years)
    + Kilkenny in
  • If it’s part of plan then it could be a massive positive. Given that the playoffs were only a very remote possibility after the Bolton result, and that relegation is fairly unlikely (never say never with Charlton…) then clearing the decks now by removing some of the higher earners who really weren’t justifying their salary is not necessarily a bad thing. 

This positive perspective is predicated on us using the now available budget sensibly in the summer to build a team that can challenge. If we just cut the budget to the current level and leave it there, or spend it badly, then we will be in massive trouble next season. And if we suffer from 3 or 4 injuries over the next few months we may find ourselves in trouble even sooner than that. 
  • 15/16 senior pros, cheap loans and a few youngsters from the academy.

Why wait till the end of the season when you can start at the end of January instead. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Kilkenny in too.
  • edited February 2023
    Trying to be positive - Holden has said previously that he needs to change the culture and attitude within the club because it’s all negative. So they have shipped out the sick, lame and lazy and bought  in experienced hungry players that will fight for a contract come the summer. He may also say that this leaves a pathway for our high quality academy players to get into the first team squad. So the likes of AMB, Ness, Henry, Campbell sign new contracts
  • Cleared out players not wanted, rebuild in summer, ready for promotion push next season... I think I have heard this before somewhere 😃
  • redman said:
    That's unfair though. AMB has replaced Mac in the squad. Ness has replaced one of the CB's. Campbell has already played more than DJ. We've essentially added 2 FB's and lost a CM and a winger. Could also argue Henry will replace one of the CMs. 

Plus it's 5, you missed Kilkenny. 
    Yes I missed Kilkenney. I wasn't commenting on whether it was good or bad. In fact one of the positives is that some of our youngsters especially the 4 you mention will get more opportunity to gain experience. 
  • The positive is the balance sheet looks healthier for new investors.  
  • The positive is our skinflint owner will have to fund lower losses, I am pleased for him.
  • We've got rid of a lot of deadwood 
    Plus added players to improve our performance considering the budget we have to work with it's looking like a good window  B)
  • edited February 2023
    Positives?

well if the financial position of the club is precarious, it’s brought down the wage bill and helped fund the ‘gang of four’.

with no trust in our recruitment, we’ve not tied up anything long term that’s going to disappoint 

if you believe that Accrington, Cambridge  or Burton are not going win 3 more games than us by the end of the season, then it was all largely irrelevant what happens 
  • edited February 2023
    Consolidate for another season in league 1. The dream is still on!
  • I think those positives are big, though, and underline the only massive positive difference between this era and a few years ago. We didn't sell our best players. That's huge, as I have no doubt there were bids for Dobson and Leaburn especially. In the cold light of day we have a far better base to build off today than we did a month ago. 

Simultaneously, though, we appear to have lost the ability to unearth a gem in the market. Of the recent permanent signings only Dobson, Fraser and perhaps Wollacott can be said to have made a positive impact. Maybe Egbo. That's still a poor hit rate.