Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Michael Hector (Page 11 - Signs a NEW one year deal)

Comments

• Options
    Richard J said:
    I really hope that we have an option next season.

Like many on here I brouse our free agent options.

Hector stood out for me on those lists,but he wasn't ready to sign for us until it became clear he couldn't get a Championship gig having spent time at Luton and Reading on trial as well as the massives.

I suspect had he signed in the summer instead of EOC there wouldn't have been many complaints. A CV of Chelsea, Frankfurt, Fulham and Wednesday would be more impressive than Bury, Oldham, Rochdale and Walsall.

I'm assuming that it was a short term deal with no clause either way.

If we offer him a 2 year deal now, he might be interested. Wait until the summer and he'll probably find a better club elsewhere
    That's the unfortunate bit about this, he could be using us to get fully fit and up to speed in the hope of finding a Championship club to take him on next season, so yes, we need to tie him down now, hopefully to a two year deal, or at least a one year deal with an option of a further year...
  • Options
    Was his best game last night but thought he'd been pretty average before that. No doubt needed to build some match fitness/sharpness so hopefully puts together a run of decent performances now.
    Would keep him over Inniss... obviously. 
  • Options
    Richard J said:

Hector stood out for me on those lists,but he wasn't ready to sign for us until it became clear he couldn't get a Championship gig having spent time at Luton and Reading on trial as well as the massives.

I suspect had he signed in the summer instead of EOC there wouldn't have been many complaints. A CV of Chelsea, Frankfurt, Fulham and Wednesday would be more impressive than Bury, Oldham, Rochdale and Walsall.

If we offer him a 2 year deal now, he might be interested. Wait until the summer and he'll probably find a better club elsewhere
    That's the unfortunate bit about this, he could be using us to get fully fit and up to speed in the hope of finding a Championship club to take him on next season, so yes, we need to tie him down now, hopefully to a two year deal, or at least a one year deal with an option of a further year...
    Richard J said:

He'd been without a club for 6 months - bird in the hand and all that.
  • Options
    Richard J said:

Was thinking the same, seems sensible, if we can convince him brighter days are ahead, since he signed he’s not been fit, this is like his preseason.
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    I’d keep him and release Inniss. Feel like it’s probably one or the other as otherwise we’re going to end up with the same defence again next season when it has already proved to not be good enough. 

Hector, Ness and 2/3 others depending on formation choice. Hopefully we will finally get a left footed centre back 
    Ok, we no longer have Naby, but Inniss, Ness and Hector, alongside Egbo and a good left back would make a decent defence. If we can get a better CB than these three, then great, I hope we do. 
    But we’ve been rubbish in midfield this season, which always going to put pressure on any lineup in defence. 
  • Options
    We will need to do so soon, is my general feeling.
  • Options
    He will will almost certainly have championship interest I imagine.

So it will come down to how much we can offer, and how settled he is at Charlton. At 30, and with a young family, I expect he will be looking for the biggest pay day he can get - and why wouldn’t you. 
  • Options
    The defence has improved as he has regained match fitness. Him and Innis have surprised me and dare I say we have looked better than when Ness has played (I think Ness has been outstanding) like a lot are saying I can see a championship club offering a decent deal to him in the summer. Would love to keep him for next season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

So it will come down to how much we can offer, and how settled he is at Charlton. At 30, and with a young family, I expect he will be looking for the biggest pay day he can get - and why wouldn’t you. 
    He didn't for the last six months apart from trials at Luton and Reading.

As he is London based I hope that he would see us as an opportunity to rebuild his career.
  • Options
    Richard J said:

As he is London based I hope that he would see us as an opportunity to rebuild his career.
    He wasn’t playing competitively though, and it always represents a big risk to essentially bring someone in from the cold. 

Considering his previous pedigree, the fact he is getting better as each game goes by, and he is showing he is not a fitness doubt - championship teams will now be much more likely to want to bring him in (especially as he won’t cost a transfer fee).

At 30 I don’t think he is at liberty to really rebuild his career. I hope he stays with us next year, as I think he is far to good for this league, but I’ll be pleasantly surprised if he does. 
  • Options
    Once he’s fully fit he’ll be too good for us 
  • Options
    Richard J said:

He wasn’t playing competitively though, and it always represents a big risk to essentially bring someone in from the cold. 

Considering his previous pedigree, the fact he is getting better as each game goes by, and he is showing he is not a fitness doubt - championship teams will now be much more likely to want to bring him in (especially as he won’t cost a transfer fee).

At 30 I don’t think he is at liberty to really rebuild his career. I hope he stays with us next year, as I think he is far to good for this league, but I’ll be pleasantly surprised if he does. 
    It's also much easier to get a contract at a "good club" in June than it is is September.
  • Options
    edited March 2023

Although he was a bench warmer he must have earned a decent wage at Fulham?
    Our best bet is to get new ambitious owners in who can sell him a future with 'a club going places', and offer him wages not far off what he might get in the Championship. It all seems a bit unlikely, sadly.
    There was so much negativity about him early on in this thread, which turned out to be unjustified. 'Sack of shit signing' was a classic  :-)
  • Options
    Sure, money is important to most players; and in this day and age a player needs to earn well while he still can - but sometimes there are other factors that motivate.

At home he needs his wife and kids to be settled - without a move causing disharmony and disruption.
    Nothing worse than an unhappy wife at home, is there? Or kids badly affected because they are missing Daddy or all their friends at school.

Also, Hector at 30, having missed most of this season and been a bench warmer all the season before that, may simply want to play at a decent level while he can. No guarantees of course, but he's playing every game now and that may appeal to him more than sitting on a Championship bench next season.

He'll need to see ambition in the club, the building blocks being put in place for a convincing drive for promotion.
    If that happens, he may want to be part of that.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Sure, money is important to most players; and in this day and age a player needs to earn well while he still can - but sometimes there are other factors that motivate.

At home he needs his wife and kids to be settled - without a move causing disharmony and disruption.
    Nothing worse than an unhappy wife at home, is there? Or kids badly affected because they are missing Daddy or all their friends at school.

Also, Hector at 30, having missed most of this season and been a bench warmer all the season before that, may simply want to play at a decent level while he can. No guarantees of course, but he's playing every game now and that may appeal to him more than sitting on a Championship bench next season.

He'll need to see ambition in the club, the building blocks being put in place for a convincing drive for promotion.

To be honest, he’s coming towards the last few years of his career, and given his injury history who knows precisely how long he’ll have as a professional.

selling him the dream sounds great, but really he should take the best contract he’s offered, wherever that is. Playing for a club that has nice ambitions is great, but that won’t pay the bills. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    se9addick said:
    Oggy Red said:

To be honest, he’s coming towards the last few years of his career, and given his injury history who knows precisely how long he’ll have as a professional.

selling him the dream sounds great, but really he should take the best contract he’s offered, wherever that is. Playing for a club that has nice ambitions is great, but that won’t pay the bills. 
    What injury history?
    Have injuries not played a role in him not playing much football in the past couple of years? My bad if not. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The bloke oozes class - if he signs for next season and we strengthen the midfield ( Morgan and Payne need to go) and get a couple of new options up front 
    we’d have a proper team !!! 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    se9addick said:
    Oggy Red said:

What injury history?
    Have injuries not played a role in him not playing much football in the past couple of years? My bad if not. 
    Nope not at all.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    se9addick said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    se9addick said:
    Oggy Red said:

What injury history?
    Nope not at all.
    It was the lack of injuries to Fulham’s first choice CB pairing that limited his appearances. Something I don’t think we’ve seen since 11/12 when we won L1 - east to forget Doherty and Mambo were 4th and 5th choice CBs, though we did have the option of short term loans back then which gave clubs more flexibility with their budget.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    se9addick said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    se9addick said:
    Oggy Red said:

What injury history?
    Nope not at all.
    It was the lack of injuries to Fulham’s first choice CB pairing that limited his appearances. Something I don’t think we’ve seen since 11/12 when we won L1 - east to forget Doherty and Mambo were 4th and 5th choice CBs, though we did have the option of short term loans back then which gave clubs more flexibility with their budget.
    I know but some bloke behind a keyboard said

"hE iS aLwAyS iNjUrEd"

And then it becomes a CL fact, it's like the Mandela effect.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    se9addick said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    se9addick said:
    Oggy Red said:

What injury history?
    Nope not at all.
    Fair enough, my mistake.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    se9addick said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    se9addick said:
    Oggy Red said:

What injury history?
    Nope not at all.
    I know but some bloke behind a keyboard said

"hE iS aLwAyS iNjUrEd"

And then it becomes a CL fact, it's like the Mandela effect.
    To be fair, at least with Egbo it's based on his time at the club.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    JamesSeed said:

Although he was a bench warmer he must have earned a decent wage at Fulham?
    Our best bet is to get new ambitious owners in who can sell him a future with 'a club going places', and offer him wages not far off what he might get in the Championship. It all seems a bit unlikely, sadly.
    There was so much negativity about him early on in this thread, which turned out to be unjustified. 'Sack of shit signing' was a classic  :-)
    Elfie take note.😎
  • Options
    I hope you don't believe that b******* you have come out with.
    Lol