Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Is the Valley pitch worse than normal at this stage of the season?

I was thinking that the pitch was worse for wear at the Lincoln game, one long pass along the ground that suddenly kicked up halfway across the pitch, the thinning of grass etc. Playing that game when the weather was freezing can't have helped. Is it  below par  or just me looking for excuses? After the last game when the heavens opened it can't help. Suppose we can see vs Barnsley.

Comments

• edited January 2023
    All pitch queries c/o burgerboy@cafc.co.uk
    Its what happens when an unqualified member of staff get involved with pitch maintenance and to quote the clubs owner when asked by his PA "What qualifications he has to get involved" 
    "None! his background is catering"
    Nathan Chapman produced a two inch thick folder of his plans for the pitch and work to be carried out by the company that relaid the pitch in his first year as owner, for the next 3 years of which this would have been the third, costing around 65K (total cost including pitch overhaul every year) from memory, he believed TS was aware but was told he'd gone for a cheaper option a one off 35k and any problems you sort the mess out yourselves.
    The owner had never seen the file.
  • That game where the pitch was frozen, but worked on all week to make it fit to play knackered the pitch. 
  • I think the ridiculous weather of late hasn't helped in honesty
  • The ball was bobbling all over the place against Lincoln. I've not seen that many times at The Valley
  • That game where the pitch was frozen, but worked on all week to make it fit to play knackered the pitch. 
    Agreed. Having the pitch cover on for so long has had an effect. 
  • Chunes said:
    The ball was bobbling all over the place against Lincoln. I've not seen that many times at The Valley
    I noticed that a few times at the North end of the pitch, always a worry when it goes back to the keeper.
  • This thread has been read and I’ve been told “the same faces are getting involved in something they know **** all about and giving instructions/orders to those that do. 🤷‍♂️
  • looked threadbare in the corner on the left side of the covered end facing the pitch
  • Sponsored links:

• Patchy and slightly bobbly , looks in need of some TLC 
  • edited January 2023
    That game where the pitch was frozen, but worked on all week to make it fit to play knackered the pitch. 
    Yes, and we lost 1-0 to Cheltenham on it. I think we would win that game comfortably now so all the work did us no favours really. It isn't as bad as it was before the work though. 
  • Well it's no snooker table.
  • edited January 2023
    For context, this was the 14th Jan 2014 

Wasn’t that when we had massive drainage problems , hence the pitch was prone to flooding or am I in the wrong time zone 
  • edited January 2023
    Could be right. Popped up on memories yesterday so seemed apt 
  • Yes it is, obviously have spent less on maintaining it this year. Maybe we will get back to the fun days of the 1970`s when late in the season it was a mud pie of a pitch, who can get to ball first when it comes to a dead stop in the mud.
  • As a qualified groundsman,  I too was recently thinking that interference of the work done by the grounds staff and of course no longer having Nathan, has had an adverse impact. 

Most other pitches we see these days are superb, pitch construction and maintenance really is a science, it pisses me off big time that know nothing arseholes think that you just cut the grass and mark the lines.

Go back to images of matches 40 or more years ago around this time of the year to see the difference. They don't get that good by being maintained by unqualified people and poor investment. 
    As a 14 year old following Mr Banham around the pitch as he cut the grass that was pretty much all there was to it. 
    Hoping we had the weather to let it grow and pretty much cutting and repairing the divots was all there was to it, but that was 1972/73 ish
    But since that meeting where I listened to Nathan and read over his shoulder some of his file, struth there’s a hell of a lot more to worry about now with feeding etc.
    Getting the high earners out of the club seems to be the object of the game and replacing them with lesser paid and normally younger staff and has the inappropriate behaviour towards them stopped? 
    Not what I’m being told it’s not.

• Sponsored links:

• Could be short handed after another and I quote “fed up with the sh** and false promises “ takes to the exit, now I wonder why

• It does stick out to me that the 13/14 season was an absolute disaster with the pitch. 

Roland came in and sorted it for 14/15 and it was used as a tool to justify his ownership for the next 4 billion years...
  • Would switching on the under pitch heating help? On no wait……….
  • Is a great deal better than 2014. Was there ever a heater attached to the underpitch heating? 
  • It's not looking good 
  • No budget, interference from people/persons/one bloke who think they know best when they know nothing, staff moral so low, wages poor, the latest to leave received a 7k pay rise on what cafc were paying and to quote my words above again. “No s*** to put up with, lies or false promises” 
    The reason I don’t attend matches as I’ve said before, I don’t trust myself if I saw the individual responsible and I have to much to lose if I got myself in bother. 
  • Its about time a certain 'burgerboy' - kept his nose out of issues he clearly has no idea about.....but then all he'd be good for is 'flipping burgers' and he'd screw that up as well. What a waste of (lots of) skin and bone he is!
    On a serious note, losing one groundsman is unfortunate....to continue to lose good qualified people, who know what they are doing from all parts of the club is bloody criminal!!!
    Only one bloke to blame for this is TS, in the main, supported by his short fat friend - burgerboy! 
  • Well clearly it is better than Peterboro’s.
  • TEL said:
    looked threadbare in the corner on the left side of the covered end facing the pitch
    Well it wasn't our left back tearing it up, we don't have one !
  • Looked awful today. Slowed the ball right down