Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Macauley Bonne - now at Southend (p29)

Comments

• Southend are still in the FA Cup, we all know who we're getting if they get through and who will score his first of the season.
  • Surprised he can still get a national league club , would have thought it would be some big spending Isthmian club for him by now. 
  • He was actually quite good for us in the Championship, 11 goals but his all round game was ok too. Obviously he was never amazing, but ever since then he has been absolute toilet. 
    He had a decent half a season at Ipswich too, scored 11 in 16 I think... then 1 in 30 the rest of the season, just before we decided to sign him again.

In fact, can probably chalk that up as another awful signing of an Ipswich reject, along with Penney, Fraser, Camara and Ladapo (and probably Ahadme).
  • He was actually quite good for us in the Championship, 11 goals but his all round game was ok too. Obviously he was never amazing, but ever since then he has been absolute toilet. 
    Think he peaked when scoring 2 goals in our 3-2? win over Bristol City at home.
  • To the tune of: The Beatles - Baby You Can Drive My Car 

Macauley Bonne can't drive a car
    (do do do do)
    2 million pounds, ha ha ha!
    (do do do do)
    You thought you'd had the last laugh
    (do do do do)
    But Macauley you're non-league

Beep beep, f*** off, yeah
  • edited October 10
    Swisdom said:
    I said it when we first signed him.  I said it when we sold him.  I said it when we re-signed him.  I said it when he left again.

Bonne is a terrible footballer.  Worse than Simon Church and I don;t say that lightly about ANYONE.
    He's an arrogant prick too.
    Yeah I have to say even when he was scoring goals in the Champ his all-round game was so poor, I remember saying it was like playing with 10 men and there were a lot of disagreements but I won't pull out the receipts... (Just about). Not to mention some of the clearcut chances he missed that would have kept us up. There were endless disagreements over him at the time because he was scoring, but he benefitted from a purple patch and a team that was laying on great chances for him. Same happened in a brief stint at Ipswich. But as a player he has always been useless. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Chunes said:
    Swisdom said:
    I said it when we first signed him.  I said it when we sold him.  I said it when we re-signed him.  I said it when he left again.

Bonne is a terrible footballer.  Worse than Simon Church and I don;t say that lightly about ANYONE.
    Yeah I have to say even when he was scoring goals in the Champ his all-round game was so poor, I remember saying it was like playing with 10 men and there were a lot of disagreements but I won't pull out the receipts... (Just about). Not to mention some of the clearcut chances he missed that would have kept us up. There were endless disagreements over him at the time because he was scoring, but he benefitted from a purple patch and a team that was laying on great chances for him. Same happened in a brief stint at Ipswich. But as a player he has always been useless. 
    A more recent version of Paul Benson. He was even more limited.
  • I don't know what it is about him but he's just a very annoying person who draws anger. Even when he's scoring he winds his own fans up and I can't remember a player like him where every single set of fans has turned on him before he's even left. Thinking about it, Taylor and Bonne might have been one of the most unlikeable front twos in Football League history

Yet, bizarrely it's a shame when Bonne was half decent and scored double figures in the Championship that Lyle Taylor (pre big school) wasn't fit enough to play alongside him for many games. 
    Bonne peaked at 23, later QPR paid 2 million for him and now at 28, other than scoring against Charlton at Gillingham, his career has nosedived quicker than Nile Ranger. (Kettering Town)
  • Swisdom said:

And have we learnt from this, no we now have Ahadme 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Surprised he can still get a national league club , would have thought it would be some big spending Isthmian club for him by now. 
    No doubt that will be his next and final move in football considering he loves to burn any bridge he gets near to
  • Swisdom said:

And have we learnt from this, no we now have Ahadme 
    Yes, there was a big race to be the first to write him off and spot that he’s useless.

In fact, because of the £1m fee Sky Sports talked about, some questioned him before he even signed.
  • Swisdom said:

Significantly worse than Simon Church... how he got 11 championship goals should be studied, he looked like a pub footballer, even I'm that season

He was a truly dreadful footballer even in that first stint.  Scored goals surely and as a striker that is what he was paid for of course but you could see at the time it was a purple patch that would end and that his all round game was simply woeful.
  • Sponsored links:

• Unbelievable really that QPR paid £2m. Can only think they looked at the goals scored without watching a second of footage
  • Swisdom said:

100%
  • edited October 11
    Swisdom said:

the logic behind why we resigned bonne always baffles me
  • Simon Church was bloody terrible though. Bonne was lucky with the career he has had. 

• Not even sure if this would do.
  • His worst trait was when he pressed the opposing center half, he would do that slowly arc towards defender like he was closing down some imaginary passing lane- all the while hunching over. Looked absolutely ridiculous
  • They got through in the cup today…