Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Manchester United vs Charlton Athletic | Tuesday 10th January 2023 - 8pm KO | Match Preview

Manchester United vs Charlton Athletic
Tuesday 10th January 2023 - 8pm Kick-Off
League Cup Quarter-Finals

Introduction
Well it was quite the early Christmas present from Anthony Hayes wasnt it? - When the draw for the League Cup Fourth Round was made, nearly all Addicks  winced at the prospect of Premier League side visiting the Valley, if anyone expected advancement in the competition, it would have been more out of hope than anything - But the Addicks did advance, with a splendid penalty shootout win, their reward is a repeat of the FA Cup Quarter-Final from 1994, and a visit to one of England's greatest Football clubs: Manchester United.

The Opposition
Name: Manchester United | Manager: Erik ten Hag
Ground: Old Trafford
Previous Round: Man Utd 2-0 Burnley

When Sir Alex Ferguson won the Premier League for the final time in 2012-13, and promptly retired, no one expected the Red Devils to go a whole decade without being crowned League Champions for the twenty-first time - In some ways our opponents this Tuesday evening have trodden a similar path to the Addicks (just without the demise); Managers have come and gone; Moyes, van Gaal, Mourinho and Solskjaer have all tried... all without success, their noisy neighbours appear to have taken all the recent glory.

So Manchester United come into their most important game in years, the League Cup after all is just one of two domestic titles since Ferguson's retirement, and is their most recent coming in 2016-17 - Failure to pick up any trophies this campaign under the impressive ten Hag would be their worst in 48-years... Yet this United team (despite their slow start) have only lost five games all season... Its a daunting task for Charlton, but its equally not impossible.

As for the line-up, well we shall have to wait and see... Man Utd come into this game off the back of an FA Cup victory over Everton, which saw a strong side being played out, albeit what is a bigger competition - ten Hag will no doubt bench Senior players (unless absolutely necessary) what with the Manchester Derby this coming Saturday... the one to watch will possibly be the next young sensation out of Carrington: Alejandro Garnacho, whilst World Cup winner: Lisandro Martinez could also start, having only played 2-minutes for the hosts since returning from Qatar, and will surely be utilised against Manchester City.

Charlton Team News
Charlton go into this Quarter-Final looking to break what appears a bit of a jinx... 1947 was the last time the Addicks made the Semi-Finals of a cup tournament, and we all know what happened that year - Since then we've had five attempts, yet have failed on each occasion - As for the League Cup, well we've only reached this stage on one occasion, as a Premier League side, losing to League Two opposition.

In terms of availability and we'll be sweating on the fitness of Ashley Maynard-Brewer who once again has concussion, it will be a brutal disappointment, what with it being his heroics against Brighton that ensured this fixture - Elsewhere and Eoghan O'Connell made a welcome return to first action late against Lincoln on the weekend, however this game has perhaps happened a bit too early, and will have to settle for a place on the bench again, as he makes his way back from injury.

MacGillivray
Clare - Inniss - Lavelle - Ness - Sessegnon
Morgan - Dobson
Fraser
Rak-Sakyi - Leaburn

Substitutes Bench: Harness - O'Connell - Chin - Henry - Payne - Stockley - Campbell - Kirk - Blackett-Taylor

Comments

• Options
    Within their different ‘football universes’ this is a game between the two biggest under-performers in the 92 clubs over the last decade if you compare that with the previous 20 years (Bolton and Portsmouth might challenge us for that title among the lesser mortals).

• Options
    A won't win
  • Options
    I hope Blackpool will not mind me nicking his words but it was so close to what I was going to say I thought I would go for it.

I've been to Old Trafford four times supporting Charlton. 

1st time in 94 for the FA Cup quarter final 
    About ten thousand Addicks there that day.

3 times in the Curbs years all good days out.

I cannot make it Tuesday due to other commitments but for all the travelling fans especially those going for the first time have a great time and enjoy the occasion. I will be watching on the TV so be with you in spirit

Fingers crossed we put in a decent performance 
    Enjoy everyone 
    COYA. 
  • Options
    A shame O’Connell didn’t get back a little earlier for this one. Hopefully Lavelle can play like he did against Brighton and not like he did at Oxford. I think it’ll need to be 5-4-1 so I would probably have Payne in for Morgan and set up the same way we did against Brighton or if he’s fit enough start CBT for maximum pace on the counter 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It’s a really weird feeling for me - and one that the older fans will share more than the younger ones.

For the younger ones - this is all new. It must feel glamorous seeing your little Charlton playing Man Utd at Old Trafford.

But for those in the 35+ age bracket I wonder if you feel the same as me?

I am excited because it feels like my Charlton are back tomorrow. Playing Man Utd feels like life is back to normal for a little bit. Seeing the match preview … Manchester United vs Charlton Athletic feels normal. That’s what we should be doing. Not dicking around in league one.

I am so excited heading up on Tuesday because it’s what I have always done. Going to see my club at Old Trafford, Anfield, Goodson Park, Villa Park.

It feels like for one night only - we are back and I will be feeling very sentimental I think as I walk up to Old Trafford 
    Unfortunately I think you,ll be feeling even more sentimental on the way home.
  • Options
    It's either B-T ot JRS alongside Leaburn. Hope Miles can emulate his dad from 1994! Has to be five at the back. Hoping to build on Massives Newcastle win but not very confident.

Predict a 7-0 loss...
  • Options
    Lose this and our season is over, we're has beens and will never be agains...

It's the cup, even though it's unlikely anything can happen.
  • Options
    Be my 4th visit, thus far 1 win (August 1986) & 2 losses, so long as we ain’t humiliated it will be a great occasion. 
  • Options
    Any possible lift shares coming back from Manchester? 

2 of us needing a ride home- obviously willing to pay 
  • Options
    Expecting a pumping, but if we do manage to sneak something, then we are most probably  one win away from a European place, and that game could be against Wolves or Forrest. There’s a sentence I didn’t think I’d be hearing!
  • Options
    I think 3-1 and will give them a good game and be a good day-night 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hopefully a great night ahead ! 
    That's my heart speaking my head is just hoping we can be slightly competitive. Tan Haag has said he wants to win something this year so I cant see him putting out their kids. If Rashford plays then the best bet of the match must be Innis getting a red card ! Hopefully our players like CBT see this game as a shop window and they will really step up
  • Options
    cazo said:
    I think 3-1 and will give them a good game and be a good day-night 
    Would snap your hand off for that. Honestly think it will be a drubbing. 6-0 United however it would be incredible if we score first.
  • Options
    Gotta dream haven't we. Just hope we do ourselves proud and the supporters have a great night. Proud to be Charlton 
  • Options
    1-1 Rak Sakyi. Charlton win on pens.
  • Options
    I don’t see the point in shoving an extra centre back in there .  Play the same team
  • Options
    Whilst it is fair to say it shouldn't be a hard result to predict, we don't know what sort of side United will put out. Ten Haag has been complaining about the number of games and the need to rest players but this is a quarter final.

Of course, their reserves ought to beat us but you never know. Like The Brighton game, it will go straight to pens if a draw at full time. I can't see us holding out though, mind you I couldn't see it against Brighton. I'm trying to talk myself round but sorry, I still can't see it. Hopefully, we gain some confidence from it.
  • Options
    I thought Brighton would batter us, so I’m not going to bother predicting a score. I’m just really excited to see us playing at one of the most famous stadiums on the planet against a world renowned side (even if they’ve been relatively poor for a long time now). I’m looking forward to what I hope will be a great atmosphere in the away end regardless of score, God knows when we’ll have a big game like this again.