Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gianluca Vialli - RIP

13»

Comments

• Options
    I'm shocked but I shouldn't be. This happens all the time and can happen to anyone especially once you've passed 50. It's sad but true. Another reminder that the clock is ticking.

RIP GV.
  • Options
    Great player, nice bloke. Very sad.
  • Options
    Another shocker this week. Enjoyed watching him in my younger days. RIP.
  • Options
    He wrote a book with Gabrielle Marcotti a few years ago called The Italian Job. I’ve never quite got round to reading it, but meant to be good.
  • Options
    That's a real shock. Great player, RIP Luca.
  • Options
    Seemed to be one of those players who genuinely loved the game and always played with a smile. Very sad news. RIP Luca.
  • Options
    If you’re interested in his life and times, this is a good podcast (part 1 of 2):

https://open.spotify.com/episode/6HSTuUZ5Fht4t6Q4opHqke?si=q1g6vouZSFOF9EzPag0b5w
  • Options
    RIP shocked, by the news.
  • Options
    RIP
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Always seemed such a lovely bloke RIP.
  • Options
    A shocker. A really good player and a really nice fella apparently. Way too young. RIP Gianluca. 
  • Options
    Hearing this made me sad.  He was a great footballer, but I always remember him as coming across as a lovely chap and he was loved by football fans of all stripes as a result.

RIP.
  • Options
    I was saddened to hear this awful news as I didn't know that he was ill.  He always seemed to be a nice, softly spoken, intelligent man.
  • Options
    Very sad about this. Such a cool guy and seemed like a good egg. RIP
  • Options
    RIP a very special player
  • Options
    What a very pleasant and likeable guy.
    RIP…..Gianluca…..RIP
  • Options
    Very sad news . Seemed a nice guy. Saw a match at stamford bridge when he was a sub he sat un the tunnel having a fag
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    RIP! One of my earliest football memories is Gianluca Vialli in a Chelsea shirt. Great player and from what I’ve read, an equally amazing person. 58 is no age to go, fuck cancer!!! 
  • Options
    Such a well regarded man from football word. Awful for his family and so young. RIP 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2023
    Part of that exciting era when the first (quality) foreigners started arriving in numbers - Gullit, Bergkamp, Vialli, Ravinelli, Zola, Juninioh, Yeboah, Riedle etc.

RIP
  • Options
    RIP You couldn’t help but like the guy his smile and demeanour was infectious. 
  • Options
    RIP Gianluca.
    Without doubt one of my all time favourite footballers.
  • Options
    very sad, far to young. Condolences to his family at a very sad time. 
  • Options
    Carter said:
    Something I took from the final of the Euros was Gianluca Vialli and Roberto Mancini embracing and it being remarked that Luca had recently had a successful fight with pancreatic cancer, which inwas very happy about. The news today has upset me, its a evil reminder that the cruel, horrible illness doesn't discriminate and the victory he had by beating it and the happiness that would have bought him and his family is then cut away by this news today of his passing. 

I was a kid of the variety that loved, loved the Football Italia on channel 4 on a Sunday and got to know loads of the players and was in awe of how good even the crao sides were and the players they could call upon. Gianluca Vialli was a key part of that cast of characters along with Plate, Batistuta, Mancini, Maldini, Baresi, Gascoigne, Lombardo, Zola, Del Piero, Ravanelli even Des Walker and Paul Ince 

When he signed for Chelsea I genuinely couldn't believe it, I was still coming to terms with them signing Gullit and Hughes not to mention Vialli, Di Matteo and Zola 

Vialli lobbing Schmeichel at Old Trafford was majestic, made one of the best keepers in the game look like an amateur. He was also a terror in Serie A, him and Ravanelli up top for Juventus were something to behold 

Obviously its sad when anyone leaves the stage too early and I feel for his family knowing what they have endured and now their loss. The man well and truly left his mark on the game rest in peace Mr Vialli 
    What an era. Italian football in the 90s. 
  • Options
    I don't really remember him as a player, but I read the book he wrote with Gabe Marcotti. It's a really interesting read. By all accounts a very nice and thoughtful man. 58 is no age at all.