Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-Match Thread: Portsmouth vs Charlton Athletic | New Years Day - 3pm KO

Comments

• Options
    Dave2l said:
    I think dobsons contract is up in the summer??

He needs to sign for Charlton in the next few weeks
    Year option
  • Options
    The unbeaten run in 2023 continues. 
    …and the double!
  • Options
    At last, thank god for Pompey.

See we were 1-2 up on 90 mins and the jitters hit me.  Even more shocked to see we extended the lead. I gave up at half time when they equalised and stopped checking.

Good start for the New Year lets hope its a turning point to better things and decent new recruits come in this month.     
  • Options
    Wow... Says at the end that some players will get minutes with the U21s in midweek

Dont tell me we're gonna use those games sensibly for the Senior Players, as well as the kids for once!!
    Christ things are changing.  
  • Options
    Great performance now need to show they can do it again consistantly.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Another predictable win at Fratton Park. It’s getting monotonous now. 
    Ok, so I predicted a 2-0 defeat, but hey ho. 
    Liked the line up, and was pleased to see Sessegnon back (after suspension?). 
    Pleased he stuck with that front three. CBT and Rak are similar in that they both can terrify defenders, but both could be so much more dangerous if the kept calm inside or near the box. Although to be fair Corey created the third with some composed play, finding Payne so neatly. Miles seems to improve with every game. 
    Ness was excellent, which makes it more likely my eldest will come to games in the holidays from uni. 
    Very happy with that. It’s alleviated my hangover very nicely. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Very good performance, a lot better by RS and CBT, Portsmouth weren't very good but that may be down to our level of performance. Only two downers for me, Clare and his lack of marking and Chuks and his lack of fitness. 
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

We need him to - he probably doesn’t. 
  • Options
    Excellent performance. Bit difficult to judge because Portsmouth were dire. Thought Frazer had a really good game but a super team effort.
    New manager bounce?
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Thought the same after the game at the Valley - But like how Cowley doesnt focus on anything but his own team, didnt really have much to complain about today, but even after that game @ the Valley, remember him refusing to be drawn on the penalty shout etc.

• Options
    edited January 2023
    I've not been so happy to see Charlton win for so so long.
    We've been that bad that you couldn't see where the next win was coming from.
    I had a tear in my eye when the final whistle blew.
    Charlton 'til I die.
    Tears of joy 😉. Must admit I was fearing the sucker punch until the 3rd one went in 😰. Pleased for you and all those that made the trek down to the coast after the rubbish that was served up at Oxford. Watched  the stream and we thoroughly deserved it and that performance needs to be the bench mark from now on COYRs.
  • Options
    Today, and in the second half at Oxford, we had a formation that fits the players we have, rather than try to fit the players into a formation. We still need a left-footed left back; although  Sess is fine he'd probably be even better on the right. 

I do wonder if there will be a bit of a clearout in January: DJ, Kirk, MacGillivray, JFC and Lavelle could all do with a move.....as long as they're replaced!
    Have to find Clubs to take them that they are willing to go to. Not easy in the current financial climate

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Only saw the second half but the word I would use to sum up the performance is ‘fight’.

So thankful the team showed fight. I was started to get concerned that we had lost all of it.

Keep playing to that level and we will stay comfortably away from danger.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    First off, Well done Holden. Team selection and tactics spot on. 

I thought our pressing was excellent, especially Fraser and Morgan, with Dobbo more holding and sweeping across to help out full backs. A lot more commitment in the tackle and we finally looked like we had a bit of bottle. We even got in a scrap and took our chances with a bit of sportsmanship as well.

With the ball, our passing was more direct but not aimless, as we played between the lines to CBT and JRS on a few occasions.

I really hope we can back it up against Lincoln on Saturday, cos when we actually put in a decent performance it gives the impression there might be something along the lines of a foundation to build on.
    I do think that Holden genuinely has got a plan and an idea of how to try and pull our collective fat out of the fire. Whether or not it will work, whether or not he (or for that matter the squad) are good enough to actually pull it off remains to be seen of course.

BUT I think he's come here with a specific job to do and quite likely incentive to succeed - either a bonus or a guaranteed extension if we stay up or something similar.
  • Options
    Dobbo's 5th yellow card in L1
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

We need him to - he probably doesn’t. 

I think he likes being the big fish of a small pond.

It will hopefully help keep him put and just concentrate on the football 
  • Options
    at last, a forward line that makes sense and no pissing about with it at the back - all aboard the play off bus  
  • Options
    I don’t think Cowley  is very popular at Portsmouth but in fairness he never looks for excuses in his post match interviews . Always gives an honest assessment.
    He's had a lot of practice.