Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-Match Thread: Portsmouth vs Charlton Athletic | New Years Day - 3pm KO

Back to winning ways to kick off the New Year after a poor run of form, and no wins in eight. Portsmouth winless in thirteen, found themselves under pressure from the off. After going ahead through a brilliant bit of skill from Rak-Sakyi, our new found confidence turned the tables on a frustrated Portsmouth until on the stroke of halftime they found an unexpected equaliser. We’re poor from set pieces and it was another gut punch that highlights the defensive frailties that leave us open to a mugging.

Disappointing to go in level at halftime, after a solid performance, but nonetheless we picked ourselves up and took the game to them again. Portsmouth made three changes to start the second half and attempt to mount a reset. But it wasn’t to be. Scott Fraser’s individual run ended in a quality finish to pull us ahead and blunt Portsmouth’s attempt to gain momentum. Two yellow cards in a relatively short amount of time reduced Portsmouth to ten men. We pushed on and found another goal on the counter attack after a deflection from Dobbo’s strike, to put some distance between us and ease a nervy finish.

Portsmouth 1 Charlton 3

Over to you.

Comments

• Options
    There’s light at the end of the tunnel.
  • Options
    As sure as night follows day

We always win at Fratton Park

They must hate us 😂
  • Options
    Shame I missed it but I had no faith.  I should have believed the Curse of CAFC at Fratton Park would hit Portsmouth again.
  • Options
    great result with a great performance. very good start to the year. however please take this onto saturday and put on a good performance. amazing what wins do.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hold my hands up and eat my hat.Get in there cour
  • Options
    seems that Holden has got them organised and motivated .. long may it last
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    A hugely significant win, but we must now build on it. Absolutely buzzing tonight! 
  • Options
    Pompey are our bunnies.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    After a bit of doubt, I've decided I do quite like how Holden looks like he's setting us up. He plays a high-pressing game which can modify to counter-attack under pressure. It isn't the all-high all-the-time Garner wanted, but it has that as the default setting. And Pompey couldn't handle that press
    That said, he'd better not unveil that bloody 3-5-2 again
  • Options
    Trust oomph
    Touts morph
    Moth stupor
    Rum hotspot
    Shoot Trump

I couldn’t face watching Charlton but I kept busy
    Busy getting yourself put on a watchlist
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Really good performance. Hard to judge how good because Portsmouth were shocking . 

Does make you wonder what possessed the manager to play that side against Oxford ? 

COYR
  • Options
    Jekyll and Hyde this lot.  Played Addicks.
    It really is, and I can’t pin point why so.

You often here ‘that’s the best we have looked this season’ because we often string very strong halves of football together.

However we normally react very badly to set backs, so not sure if there is a mental/confidence thing at play - we are just not used to winning - alongside a lack of depth in squad quality which means if we are missing a player or someone is having an off day we just buckle.
  • Options
    Everyone played well. The subs included. What a morale boosting win for 2023. Up the addicks!! 
  • Options
    Predicted 4-0 loss, so glad it went the other way, at last an evening after a match i can enjoy. Make the rail strike next week irrelevant as i will stay overnight in london now.