Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Euro 2024 qualifying

Realise I’m jumping the gun a bit but the draw took place a couple of months ago.

Given England and France’s disappointing Nations League performances, they were both placed in qualifying pot 2 behind the likes of Switzerland, Poland and Hungary.

Qualifying will run from March 2023 until November 2023 with play-offs if necessary in March 2024. Two teams qualify from each group automatically.

England’s group:
1. Italy
2. England
3. Ukraine
4. North Macedonia
5. Malta

England’s first two fixtures in March: Italy (A) and Ukraine (H)

Comments

• Won't be a foregone conclusion for England to go through automatically that's for sure. 
  • Scotland’s group: Spain, Norway, Georgia, Cyprus

Ireland’s group: Netherlands, France, Greece, Gibraltar

Wales’ group: Croatia, Armenia, Turkey, Latvia

N.Ireland’s group: Denmark, Finland, Slovenia, Kazakhstan, San Marino
  • Won't be a foregone conclusion for England to go through automatically that's for sure. 
    A frustrating set up when you see groups like Poland, Czech Rep, Albania, Faroe Islands, Moldova or Hungary, Serbia, Montenegro, Bulgaria, Lithuania where two will qualify automatically from each of those.

But we only have ourselves to blame for two terrible results against the Hungarians. They benefit and we get the tougher path.
    A frustrating set up when you see groups like Poland, Czech Rep, Albania, Faroe Islands, Moldova or Hungary, Serbia, Montenegro, Bulgaria, Lithuania where two will qualify automatically from each of those.

But we only have ourselves to blame for two terrible results against the Hungarians. They benefit and we get the tougher path.
    We do but I think the previous Euro results should be taken into account personally. England have been one of the most consistent countries in Europe, when it matters, over the last few years. Having the two finalists in the same group doesn’t feel right 
  • edited December 2022
    Thank god its the top two that Qualify automatically rather than the top team like for the World Cup - Because we fucked up in the Nations League, I do expect World Cup Qualification for 2026 to be even more difficult, as cant see us being one of the seeded Nations until Quali for Euro 2028 or even the 2030 World Cup if we host the next Euros.

Our history of Qualifying should make thing pretty standard for us, but expect both Ukraine and North Macedonia to make a fight of things - Italy will be tough as we've such a shite record against them - Italy's own Qualifying record as a whole though...

We do but I think the previous Euro results should be taken into account personally. England have been one of the most consistent countries in Europe, when it matters, over the last few years. Having the two finalists in the same group doesn’t feel right 
    I think this is where the Nations League shows it should be taken seriously - Not that we didnt against Hungary, who did surprisingly well in some ways over the last year. Annoys me more that the "punishment" we're getting is something that Germany should have received after the very first Nations League, only the rules got altered.
  • Wales and Norn Iron have a shout of qualifying with only one really strong team in their groups. I think Eire and the sweaties will struggle though, very tough groups. 
  • Italy away, good statement to win that to begin the euro campaign 

I think this is where the Nations League shows it should be taken seriously - Not that we didnt against Hungary, who did surprisingly well in some ways over the last year. Annoys me more that the "punishment" we're getting is something that Germany should have received after the very first Nations League, only the rules got altered.
    Yes it's a good idea to try and make the games more meaningful, but it does feel that the Nations League has been given disproportionate importance over massively more important games such as the Euro and WC finals in deciding this ranking, when the current FIFA rankings have us at Number 5 and Hungary 36!
  • Sponsored links:

• If the top two qualify you have to expect England to be one of them. We have to be at a point where a group like ours holds no fears.
  • Hoping to go to England’s first game which is away to Italy.

They’ve picked Naples as the venue, which doesn’t sound like it will be for the faint hearted if you’re an England fan.
  • cafctom said:
    Hoping to go to England’s first game which is away to Italy.

They’ve picked Naples as the venue, which doesn’t sound like it will be for the faint hearted if you’re an England fan.
    Wow, an interesting choice of location

Yes it's a good idea to try and make the games more meaningful, but it does feel that the Nations League has been given disproportionate importance over massively more important games such as the Euro and WC finals in deciding this ranking, when the current FIFA rankings have us at Number 5 and Hungary 36!
    Last nations league was a bit of a farce as there was only 18 months between the Euros and World Cup.  The same thing will happen this time.
  • cafctom said:

Yes, have to admit to thinking twice about this one..
  • Best Pizza in the World in Naples.
  • cafctom said:

not going to this - can see it now chants about maradona and then it gets stabby - shithole of a place on par with marseille

• cafctom said:

not going to this - can see it now chants about maradona and then it gets stabby - shithole of a place on par with marseille

Not even for the railway museum?  
  • I don't see any problem with our group, yes it could have been easier bit with only Italy in theory who would challenge top spot. If we don't finish above Ukraine or the rest we wont deserve it, well be fine, just two boring Italy games should be be fun...Not!
  • Sponsored links:

• Surprised that Toney has been called up with the Betting ban coming up
  • edited March 2023
    If our two main goalkeepers are both called up for their respective countries what happens?
  • Dansk_Red said:
    If our two main goalkeepers are both called up for their respective countries what happens?
    You need three international call ups (including youth) to be able to get a game postponed.

I’m not sure if there’s any contingency for situations where there’s only two players called up but both are goalkeepers. Perhaps we’d be forced into an emergency loan instead?
  • edited March 2023
  • I picked up my tickets for the Ukraine game a few months back, looks like its sold out now. Also going to the u21's game at Fulham a few days later v Croatia.

Anyone else going? 
  • Missed out on Ukraine tickets and was unsuccessful in the ballot for Italy away (although it being in Naples im not that bothered!)

Going to Macedonia at OT and will be applying for Malta away.
  • Missed out on Ukraine tickets and was unsuccessful in the ballot for Italy away (although it being in Naples im not that bothered!)

Ive been thinking about joining the England supporters club for access to aways and tourney tickets. Id need two tix for each game though so do I need 2 memberships for that or are you able to buy an extra ticket when you win on the ballots?

I think eveyrone should be OK for a Malta ticket! I missed out on Naples, very small allocation. I am on 19 active caps and 53 total, fair few people's first time missing out in a while! After seeing the scenes with Frankfurt in the city this week, can't say I am that disappointed lol!
  • Had flights and hotel booked for Naples but didn’t get a ticket. Tried on the second sale, but was unsuccessful. Didn’t see much fun on my own and I had a 10 hour wait at Milan airport on journey out. 
  • Do you go with our best players at this time or loyalty?